Horizon Air Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Online/digital interview; was easy to connect to on the mobile app. Definitely recommend taking the practice questions as they help calm any nerves or concerns of what to expect for the real interview. Research on glassdoor beforehand was incredibly useful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant for Horizon Airlines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire process took about two weeks. I applied online and a few days later was invited to complete the HireVue video interview. Luckily I do photography as a hobby, so I was able to set up a pretty sweet little "video interview studio". Definitely make sure you have great lighting and a clean background. You want the focus to be on YOU! :) You have three days to submit your interview. I completed mine on the second day...mostly because I wanted to be 100% prepared and I was for sure nervous. Do a few practice runs so you can see what it's like and how you translate via video. There were five questions: 1. Tell us about your resume 2. Tell a time you provided excellent customer service. 3. Tell a time of providing safety for customers ... and the other two I don't remember! It goes so quickly. Do make sure to comb through the reviews on here. That is where I got all my questions for and they were spot on. I wrote them all down and answered them as well as reviewed them. Just my way of studying! I was invited for the second interview two business days later (yeah, there was a weekend in there. nail bitter!) that was scheduled for the following week. Luckily I live in Portland where they interview so I didn't have to bite the bullet and pay hundreds of dollars for accommodations and flights. I took the interview spot for a week later. That gave me plenty of time to prep for every imaginable question, company facts and youtube videos. Interview day was just as described. I arrived 30 minutes early, signed in, got a name tag, chatted with the other candidates. EVERYONE is nervous. Chatting helps calm yourself, so just do it! At around 8, we were all invited inside a conference room for an information session on the company, benefits, FA life. I do find it a little sad they get you all revved up about your possible benefits and FA life when you don't even have an offer yet. Oh well. It was about an hour long presentation. People asked questions. I did not and I'm not sure that really matters because not all of the folks who did ask questions advanced to the next step. After that, you're split into two groups and put into two different rooms... you will be asked a situational question and must answer whilst standing in front of the group. My question was the "over-promising and under-delivering" one. People got a good giggle out of my answer. Shoulda been a comedienne! :) Once we all answered our questions we were split further into three groups and asked to come up with a new product offered in flight. There were some good ones! I took control of the group, wrote down our idea and lead us all through the thing. We laughed, we had team work. All a jolly good time. We presented and after everyone was done we were told to take a thirty minute break. So I chatted with other interviewees, shared some snacks and stories of our lives and then the hammer came down on who was to stay and progress and who could be released back into the wild. I, unfortunately, was a free bird. I didn't really see any rhyme or reason for the ones who stayed but I will say they spoke well in front of a group, which obviously is something you should be okay with. But they have to know its hard when you're on the spot, being judged for a job you really want! All in all, a positive experience and all of the recruiters are so very nice! Just practice, practice. I do have another video interview with another airline, so I do feel that even going through this process was a valuable experience and will help with my next venture. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time when you over-promised and under-delivered and what you did to resolve the situation.   1 Answer
    • Please provide a time when you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

June 30th I applied online. July 22nd I was asked to do a video interview. The video was 9 questions it was basically behavior questions and about customer service. Answer in STAR format and Smile and be confident. Dress to impress. Professional style. I received a call and was invited to the F2F session on July 17th. I was so excited prepare to pay your way and hotel stay out to Portland, OR. The day of the F2F they will spend a hour and half on the information of Horizon Air. Then you will be on a break for 20-30mins. Then we come back and split us up into two groups by alphabetical order. They pass around cards and we can't turn them around until it's our turn. The questions were based on customer service. We can only say our name and not the question. We could only say the Letter we are answering to. Keep it short and sweet and to the point. STAR format. SMILE. The second part we broke up into groups and we had to come up with something the airline can sell that they already didn't have. This was my favorite part!! They wanted to see how you interact with team players. Then we went back to our seats and we had to share something that was not on our resume. It was a great group interview. Then they released us for 30mins and made the decision who was going to be cut. We came back and they announced who would go to the next round. I made it to round 2 and this is your typical face to face interview with 2 recruiters. I was happy to make this far. I kept SMILiNG. When I was finish I was ask to step outside and wait for a response. 10mins later I was flattered by the good news!! I got a CJO. Training starts Oct. 5th. It was worth taking the chance on myself. I knew I was going to be apart this great company. Everyone was nice that day.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you dislike from your current or resent employer?   1 Answer
    • Tell us something about yourself that is not on your resume?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. There are raises. I would smile at all times and interact and be yourself. Be prepare to travel and relocate. Also be prepared to go on your expense to the interview in Portland.

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Anchorage, AK) in August 2015.

Interview

video interview With prepared questions bs, I had 3 questions and I got an email to ask if I could attend an interview in 10 days in Portland, of course I said yes, I leave Monday for my interview.

Interview Questions

• tell me a time you went above and beyond to provide customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

Step one is application, step 2 a digital interview and if successful a face to face interview. I was responsible for flight and hotel. This was a group interview that included two presentations that is extremely informative and answers a lot of exciting questions regarding the position. I recommend mingling and talking to other folks at the interview. Everyone is just as nervous and excited for the opportunity. Horizon/Alaska airlines is a really great company to work for and truly seek the best candidates. They want you to be successful and don't ask trick questions to stump you which made me feel more relaxed. There are two steps in the interview process which are a bit difficult. The first step starts out with a panel interview from human resources where you step up and answer questions in front of the group. Then a group activity and then they make their cuts. A lot of people were eliminated, but if successful you get to move forward to the one on one. If selected they will offer you the job on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

All day tryout in group interviews. When cuts are made it is in large group. Then individual cuts are made one by one learning if you get the job that day. They are looking for people that are happy, passive, and content making 1500 a month. The schedule is irrattic and there is no way of making more money as you can only fly so many hours (approximately 90). You will be on reserve. This means they make your schedule and you basically cover their full time senior flight attendants. This is a seniority based job. The longer years you work the better the schedule, which seems like a never ending story tale. You get a number for your seniority which is in well above 1000 range mark. The interviews are done by former flight attendants who have moved up. I was a little perturbed at the little information they had to confirm that I knew from curent research into company. Bad interview process not worth traveling from out of state too!

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were not your best a your job in service to the customer?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   1 Answer

Ground Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

Positive but difficult interview. Submit online application that includes 10 years employment. Receive email response with some "just to confirm" type questions. Schedule a telephone interview. Assuming you pass this, they will schedule you for a group interview where they press you for anecdotes about your response to sudden change (IOW, Are you flexible?) and calling out a college for behaving unsafely on the job. If you pass the group interview round, there's a 2 person panel interview....and if you pass this one there's a harder 2 person panel interview. What I would bear in mind if I could do it again... Avoid speaking illy of a previous employer regardless of how “gently” you go about it...otherwise you look like the spurned brooding type... I noticed their powerpoint for the ground service agent position showed mostly male employees. Don't mean to get political, but this was a little disappointing. Still, there were a good number of women at the initial and later interview stages. Just hope they take (smashing) the glass ceiling into consideration as they expand this position ;) When i sat for the second 2 person panel interview. i got segued into interviewing for the passenger service agent...i dunno...this in combo with the powerpoint...it just rubbed me the wrong way. They will press and press you for details about employment previous ten years employment...but they may limit their questions to the last five years. Speak with tact? Make sure you have all your ducks in a row here. Best you close up any employment gaps with some qualified explanations. Be able to roll off those dates with certainty and assurance when they inquire. Don’t stutter when you affrim that you took a leave of absence to care for an ill relative, etc. Even if your statement is true the wrong sort of delivery can render you “sus.” Wrapping up the group interview they ask you to share a fun detail about yourself. Perhaps they care to know you have a special affinity for southern italian cuisine, but I read this more along the lines of.. "Now would be the time to share that strength, niche skill, etc. that you forgot to include on your resume and now you are kicking yourself because dude next to you seems way more qualified and the interview is drawing a close." Still, I could be overanalyzing here. Even so...they really seemed to enjoy this portion of the interview. True story, both interviewers brightened, etc. when folks started sharing their preferences, etc. So make it worth your while.

Interview Questions

• Did you leave [employer X] on good terms and how much notice did you offer? How would you handle a flaky college that agreed to take your shift but at the last minute changed his/her mind? What was the outcome? How would you rate your adaptability? Describe a time when: -an employer suddenly changed their stance on a policy, goal, etc. and how did you respond? What was the outcome? -you faced an ethical/moral dilemma? -you were forced to adhere to a seemingly pointless silly rule? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Ground Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

First you get a phone interview which lasts about 10-15 minutes. Once you're successful with that you will be invited to the group interview. Mine was toward the beginning of summer, so we only had about 23 people there. They talked to us through the power point. Next thing they did was split us into two groups. We all answered our questions to the group. They split us up into 3 groups to come up with a product that Horizon can use. After that they asked us to tell them something about ourselves that's not on our resume. After all of that is "lunch" where they pick who's going on to the next round. Out of our group maybe 8 stayed. Then it's the one on one interview where they ask where you'd like to be based at , salary, Job history & more questions. Then after that gig wait to see if you got the job or not. It is a long day so be prepared with snacks, but remember everyone is just as nervous as you.

Interview Questions

• When was time when you over promised and how did you handle it ?   Answer Question
    • Tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay is what it is no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Horizon Air (Portland, OR).

Interview

Fun interview. Fairly laid back and easy. Very nice recruiters. Not intimidating. At 23, felt very young to be there. Everyone was very nice and had all been on previous interviews with different airlines. I would highly recommend mingling with everyone and finding out where everyone is from. Recruiters are always watching!