Horizon Air

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Horizon Air in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later I got an email from a recruiter asking me a few questions to answer. I had responded within like 20 minutes and got another email the same day from her saying she would call me the following day within a specific time frame. When she called she just asked a few simple questions about why I wanted the job, to describe a time I worked with a team, etc. She then told me I was invited to an interview the following week.
For the interview there were roughly about 30 of us there. They gave us a presentation first describing the job benefits and requirements and all that (lasted about an hour) and then they split us up into 2 groups for the group interviews. They had us sit in a room with all the chairs in a circle and then get up and reorganize ourselves alphabetically by first name. We then each were asked 2 questions that were on a card, and you weren't able to read it until the person before you had got up to answer theirs. After everyone had answered both of theirs they went around and let us each say one hobby or interest/passion we had. Then we got to go wait in the lobby for them to decide, and that's pretty much it.

Interview Question – Describe a time your company changed it's focus on a goal, what did you do, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Ground Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Horizon Air in June 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received an email from one of their recruiters asking some following questions and from there a short telephone interview which concluded with a scheduled in-person orientation, group interview process. This is the part that gets kind of sketchy, because unless an applicant does some online searching, they will not realize that whatever preparations, travel time, etc. they have to make it to this so-called orientation, group interview, the selection process for who Horizon Air will actually offer a job to is like a lottery. There were about 40 initial applicants that showed up that morning, many of them in business suits. After the presentation of the company and somewhat vague description of the job itself, they split us into two groups for the group interviews.

During the group interviews, we formed a large circle with our chairs and each applicant was given a laminated card with a lettered question on it. We were told to keep them face down and only read the question once the person next to you was standing up and answering theirs. As much as it is a bit nerve racking to do, my hunch is that they are actually judging you on how you respond to the stress they just put in and whether you can still convey your thoughts clearly. The reason I say that is because they don't really acknowledge what you are saying to them, but seem to looking at you and observing signs of stress. There are two rounds of standing up to answer a previously unknown question followed by a more casual round of telling them something about yourself that they wouldn't know from your resume. This, in my opinion, teeters on illegal interview questions because they're trying to get you to volunteer personal information about yourself that they normally cannot ask. However, I think the overall purpose is that to observe first how you respond under stress, under repeated stress, and then find your baseline when you are more relaxed and sitting in your chair.

I was one of 10 whose name was called to remain for the next phase, a more traditional interview. I was feeling relieved at that point and one of the applicants said he was told that they would be offering 5 applicants jobs at the end of the process, so I figured I had a 50/50 chance. Initially, I thought I did well during the interview - sitting in front of a long time HR person and one of the supervisors. I was relaxed and tried to keep the interview more conversational then a question and answer routine. So I was a bit caught off guard when I was later told that they didn't think I was a good fit, but after going over the interview in my head, I didn't give a very concise answer as to why I wanted this job. I also voluntarily gave too much info about my personal life in terms of why I was seeking employment for a job that pays considerably less than what I've been paid before. In hindsight, I should have made it clear that I would not quit to go find some higher paying job, that I'd be committed to succeeding and hopefully making a career with Horizon Air.

So just keep in mind if you are selected to go to an orientation, group interview, it's basically a lottery.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   View Answer

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Horizon Air in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, make sure you use internet explorer, not firefox. I received an email requesting more information and was told to expect a phone call. I did not get a call until 2 days before the interview in Portland in June 2014. I took 2 days off work and drove 7 hours one way to be there. Everyone says they want great customer service.

Interview Question – Question was asked what was the most difficult customer service situation you have ever been involved in and how did you solve it. Answer in 90 seconds. One of the people picked to go on started by saying I have never has a job, but I was on a committee at my sorority. I think they want young attractive individuals or Spanish speakers.   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Horizon Air in June 2014.

Interview Details – You first apply online. Next you get sent a questionnaire through email, fill it out and send it back. In the email it will ask when the best time to call you is and at some point you will be receive a random phone interview. The phone interview is just basic questions. Nothing serious what so ever. At the end of the phone call they invite you to a group interview.

The first hour to hour and a half is a orientation. They basically try and talk to you out of the job by telling you the nitty gritty. After the orientation is a break, you are then split into two large groups. They first have you talk to the person sitting next to you and discuss "What was your favorite position, and why?". After 5 minutes they have you stand and introduce yourself to the group, again saying what your favorite position was and why...

After introductions, you are giving random cards with customer service questions...
Customers with difficult demands...
A situation when you over promised...

After those questions, you are split up into groups of 3-4 and asked to come up with a service that would benefit Horizon Airlines. "What is the product and how would you market it?" Take turns presenting...

After presentations, they deliberate and individuals are then invited back for two on one interviews later that day. In my two on one they ask about if the salary is okay with you, what bases you would prefer... And then just more customer service questions. They are all "Tell me a time when...".

My interview lasted from 8AM to 430PM. Its a long process, so be prepared and make friends.

Interview Question – Tell about time when you were overwhelmed and what you did about it?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Horizon Air in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call from a recuiter a few days later. We did a quick phone screening in which I was asked, "why do you want this position?" "what appeals to you most about the job?" "describe a time when you worked with a group and what skills you used to get the job done" "what motivates you to succeed in your job?" After that, she said she was going to recommend me for a F2F interview the following Monday (she had called me on Thursday). I showed up for the F2F and there were about 25 people of all ages (over 18). We were taken into a presentation room and shown a powerpoint presentation going over some of the benefits of the job (of which, there are very very many). Then, we learned what a typical day is like in the life of a ground service agent: what kind of hours are expected, how people trade shifts, etc. The interviewers fielded some questions, and we were split into smaller groups of about ten or twelve people. Each group had two interviewers who handed out facedown cards with questions on them to everyone. Then, one at a time, we each stood up, flipped our cards over, read the questions to ourselves, took a second to think of an answer, and presented it to everyone. This was the most terrifying part of the day. We did this twice. My questions were: "describe a time when you were understaffed and what action you took to improve the situation" and "describe a time you had to change tasks quickly without warning and how you handled it." After that, we went around the room and everyone shared something personal about themselves like a hobby or something they were passionate about. Then, everyone was sent to the waiting room while the interviewers deliberated about who would come back for a 2 on 1 interview. After 20 minutes or so, a woman came out and read off ten names of people who were to move on to the second interview. These interviews were with the two interviewers from the opposite group. I was asked, "why do you want to work here?" then we went over my employment history. Then they asked, "describe a time you were able to solve a problem before it got out of hand," "describe the most irate customer you've dealt with," and "when have you seen someone break the rules while working and how did you handle it?" Then, they asked if I had any questions, and they let me go. About ten minutes later, a woman came out to the lobby and told me I had gotten the job.

Portland, OR

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Horizon Air.

Interview Details – Back when I interviewed 12 years ago...It was a large cattle call start, got broken into groups of fifteen to twenty people, we were asked to share situations that were difficult but we turned them around into a positive experience. After that you were either asked to stay or let go. Then some role playing with the people that were left. Again people were either asked to stay or let go. After that one on one interviews took place with two managers. I believe it is different now though.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything that I considered unexpected. Most questions are customer service related. Be prepared to give examples from your own life and experiences. They are looking for people who are confident and well spoken without being brash. Keep smiling and be pleasant...do not be shy, you need to be able to command a cabin of people who are looking to you for direction and safety.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiating...the pay is what it is

Ground Service Agent

I applied online and interviewed at Horizon Air.

Interview Details – 3 step interview process. 1 phone contact. 2. GROUP interview. 3. 2 on 1 interview. Steps 2 and 3 happen in the same day. So be prepared to be there at least 4-5hrs.

Interview Question – Can you think of a time where you had a customer irate customer? And how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The told you the pay and you either excepted or declined.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Horizon Air in May 2013.

Interview Details – First they call you and ask you some basic questions, at which point they'll schedule an in-person interview.

The first phase of the in-person interview, is a presentation describing the company, the job, and some of the benefits. After that, they break you into two groups (which in my case were about a dozen people each) and send you to separate rooms.

In these group interviews, they ask you to answer a safety related question printed on a card, of which they give everyone a minute or two to formulate an answer. Then they break you into groups of two or three, and have you present a product you can sell to them with a marketing plan and a price to go along with it. After this they'll have everyone take a break while they review the interviews and applications. When you come back they tell you who've they've selected for individual interviews. In my group the people screened out in this process generally were either dressed inappropriately or didn't speak coherently in the group interviews.

The individual interviews consist of two people, usually an HR person and a supervisor of some sort. Most of the questions involve your background and your feelings on safety and attendance. Following this interview, they will have you wait until they decide to make an offer or not.

Interview Question – Really it seemed like the keys to this interview were appearance and communication. I dressed business casual, but there were others in full suits. So I would say business casual at minimum (if you show up in jeans you won't make it past the group stage).

For the group questions, just make sure you speak clearly and that your answer is relevant to the question asked.

Other then that, they seemed to place an emphasis on people being keen on safety and good attendance.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it's take it or leave it. Although it should be noted that there are step pay increases after 6 months and 1 year, with every year thereafter.

Customer Services Agent Interview

Customer Services Agent

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Horizon Air.

Interview Details – For outstation interviews, you meet with the station manager and local leadership first. The interview questions were mostly scenario based and expect to be asked general behavioral questions. Questions about working on a team, following policies you don't agree with and making decisions on your own will be asked. Be sure your responses always include specific examples, you will go to the top of the stack with specific examples. After your one on one, they will send you to Seattle to interview with a recruiter. If you get sent to Seattle you have the job, the recruiter just wants to verify you meet company standards.

Occasionally the company will hold a group interview but only if hiring for multiple positions.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where a policy was enforced in which you did not agree with. How did you communicate that policy and how did you proceed?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Take it or leave it.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Missoula, MT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Horizon Air in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process consists of 3 interviews: first a phone interview, which is pretty straight forward, they ask you a few simple questions.If you are success they invite you to a group interview at the airport. First they give a presentation and talk about the company and position. Then there is a group interview where they ask a past scenario question and if you are successful they tell you to stay for the one on one interview, which is more in depth, they ask you about your experience and behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with a new procedure at work.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Horizon Air

Worked for Horizon Air? Contribute to the Community!