Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2014
Updated Aug 13, 2014

Marketing Manager Interview

If your application has been selected for an interview, a member of the department’s hiring team will contact you to set up a time. (If you don’t live in Newark, initial interviews may be conducted by phone.) Now, this is your chance to do some background research and to gather together everything you need to come to the interview confident and prepared.

Business Process Improvement Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey.

I applied online and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a 3-4 weeks. Spoke with an HR hiring manager for initial vetting for 30-4 0min, and afterwards was told I seemed like a good fit, and they'd like me to come in for an in-person interview. The in person interview was scheduled as a full-day interview, with two 1hr meetings with two different managers within the department, followed by a 3 hour case study. The case study consisted of 2 parts, the first part which was supposed to take about 2 hours, and the second part 1 hour. A good knowledge of Microsoft Excel & Visio was helpful for the case studies. After the full-day interview, I was sent a link to complete a critical & analytical thinking assessment from my own computer, which was to take 30-45min. After 2-3 days, I got a followup from HR saying that I had scored well on the case study and that the team would like me to come in for a final round of interviews. This time around, I met with the department director and the manager I would be reporting to, followed by a meeting with the HR hiring manager. The next morning I received a call from HR with a verbal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the biggest challenges you had in a recent project. Did the project turn out successful or not?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Contacted by Human resource office, interview set up in one week

none

Benefit Specialist Interview

I had a phone interview

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey in January 2014.

Multiple interviews with various decision makers

Test Analyst Interview

It was good and friendly

Senior Compliance Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey in November 2013.

Applied then two months later passed phone screen. Two in person interviews within 3 weeks with supervisors and the department head. They were obscure in the questions and evasive when I asked in-depth questions about the role, repeatedly saying the staff I'd oversee were seasoned and set in their ways to expect pushback if any changes. They seemed interested in me. I followed up per protocol with thank you's and phoned several times over a 6-wk period without a response. Finally after nearly two months get they replied they went with someone else. Perhaps they simply were meeting quotas with no intent to hiring anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you handle a difficult staff member.   View Answer

Informatics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey.

the recruiter works very efficiently. Even if I failed the interview, he still contacts me and gave me some feedback. I think they have the best recruiter I have ever seen. The managers are also very nice.
    They have the standard skill tests on the computer.

Interview Questions
    • they have the test for reading and adding your own comments, which I didn't expect.   Answer Question

Business Process Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey in August 2013.

I am a success full continuous improvement specialist with LEAN Six Sigma experience in multiple sectors of manufacturing and service (Trained at Honeywell and TMMC). But I do not have experience in the Healthcare industry. Horizon for the last year has been hiring LEAN and SIX SIGMA certified personnel to implement a Continuous Improvement program to save money. Their interview process was long and intricate:

1) I was recruited for this position via a well known executive search firm, that placed a majority of their existing BPI staff. It started with 2 initial phone consultations - screening interviews, as they are very selective who they bring in to interview. This took 2 weeks and submitting of various essays about my expertise.

2) I was called in for a full day of interviewing and testing. I took 2 examinations of 2 hours each. And then had 2 interviews (+1 hr each) with a director and manager. Everything went well, (considering 4 tough hours of testing followed by professional interviews). The tests (mainly case studies - requiring essays and problem solving) were cognitive in nature to evaluate technical and analytic skills. The interviews were to review resume and specific qualifications.

3) The following week, after passing the tests, I had to take the Hogan Business Intelligence exam - a general leadership test specific toward problem analysis and leadership capability.

4) After completing this, 2 weeks later, I was contacted again, to come in for another round of interviews with 4 people (HR, 2 managers, and Hiring Director). I was also promised at this time, that this was the final stage. The 1 manager was quite specific for needing someone with a Healthcare background and explained that BPI in healthcare is difficult. "Bottlenecks in Manufacturing are simple to see, in healthcare it is not," was her statement. As a Six Sigma and Lean Expert, I could easily see this attitude would be a great impediment in their Six Sigma deployment. Per the Director, I informally had this position and he wanted to know reasons if any that I would "not want the position." I had none, but knew, that the 1 manager was inclined toward a different experience set.

5) The day after, my references were all contacted - all of whom gave me a great recommendation. All 3 called me back immediately to let me know. And my recruiter confirmed this information. He further stated now, it would be time to negotiate the salary and benefits. (And we were right in the middle of their offering, so this was not to be an issue.)

6) After 2 wks of no further communications, I contacted the recruiter, who in turn contacted HR. At that time they decided to pass on my candidacy. They were unable to provide additional feedback and reasons.

After spending almost 8 wks in this process, I was very disappointed with their feedback loop. And also by the manager that probably negated my candidacy. She came to the interview 15 mins late (causing the other manager to cancel her next appt, so I wouldn't be alone), wasn't prepared (hadn't read my resume) and was not aware of the schedule (she interrupted 2 meeting to figure out where to take me).

Sadly, they are a non-profit and large stakeholder in the NJ healthcare business. This type of business setting and new CI program requires experts from the likes of Toyota & GE, but HBCBS are unwilling to hire them.

Interview Questions
    • Tests are all case studies, specific to healthcare insurance.   Answer Question

Call Center Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey in August 2013.

It goes in the following order: phone screening, testing, then formal interview. All steps went fairly easy. WIth background check, it all took about a month before I got my call back letting me know my start date.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a call when the member is very upset because a claim hasn't paid out?   Answer Question
    First told it would be about $15 an hour. During the formal interview, they stated it would be about $16-17 an hour. Last offer was $18. I took the offer without a second guess.