Hospital for Special Surgery Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

2.4

Physical Therapist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

Stageset with various people in the department I would be working. shadowing of senior in position I applied for. Very good yet slow interview process Human resources was a bit disorganized and took sometime to get back to me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

I received a call for an invite to interview. The initial call was about 10 minutes, where they mostly tried to understand my salary expectation and why I was leaving my previous job. When I went in person, I first met with an HR representative, who told me about the hospital, gave me the details on the benefits I would be eligible for if I were hired (medical, dental, 401k, PTO, etc.) and then I was ushered over to the department that interviewed me. Nothing terribly exciting or difficult involved and fairly straight forward. I would be sure to ask about the hours involved, though, since this is a hospital and several departments run on a non-traditional schedule to cater to doctors and medical staff - this was my mistake.

Negotiation

There really wasn't one. I was happy with the salary offered.

Physician Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by HR within 2 weeks. HR staff is excellent. The first part was with HR and 3 members of the PA department. The second part was with the PA director and lastly, with an attending on the service. All questions asked were expected and I was prepared for. The interviewers were professional and kind and enthusiastic. They present HSS as a great place to work!

Interview Questions

• One mistake you made and what you learned from it, most questions were expected.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Interview

It was fairly easy to make an appointment for the interview, but when I showed up 5 minutes early, they asked me to leave and wait in the hospital foyer upstairs because they were busy. It was not a good start. They seemed very unprofessional right off the bat. They asked a few basic questions, mostly about my availability but not much about my experience or clinical abilities.

Interview Questions

• None. The questions were pretty standard and not very in depth.   Answer Question

When I attempted to negotiate the offer they proposed, I was told that the hourly rate was standard, and that I could not obtain a higher rate, despite my advanced knowledge, education, and expertise. I had a concern about the compensation package, which I raised with HR because the hiring manager said she could not make any decisions about compensation packages. The HR representative would not budge, and was not particularly friendly in our discussions. To make matters worse, the hiring manager took personal offense when I said I couldn't accept the position on the spot and that I needed to consider the offer more carefully. She told me she felt disappointed and was upset that I was discussing everything with HR and not directly with her - despite the fact that she referred me to HR because she said she couldn't make those decisions!

Client Services Interview

Interview

I was free lance consultant before being hired

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery in January 2014.

Interview

Process took one week.

Office Assistant Interview

Interview

nice work environment. friendly employees.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

My 3 intense interviews were all done on a one-one basis and on separate days. You should prepare to answer the same questions over and over. I felt like I was on that A&E show, 48 hours. Week 1 - Interviewed by 2 senior "executives". Week 2 - called me back to interview with V.P. and other executives who all informed me that I was the "leading" candidate. Week 3 - questioned by a very cold H.R Partner. She made it clear that her office was a mess and she was very tired.- this was most unprofessional. She clearly had never read my resume before and as such was just picking at my experience- "why did u leave this job 15 years ago without another one lined up?" She also complaining that my salary requirement was too high, even though my other interviewers said that it was just right. These types of H.R people will only scare away qualified candidates. Week 4- H.r called and asked for 5 references from current job without any job offer guarantee. I compiled with their request. Today is week 6 and no one at H.S.S has the common courtesy to inform me about the status of my candidacy. I took so many days off from work to interview with them. I guess they are very careful who they are hiring since their CEO was the news recently.

CIS Analyst Interview

Interview

The entire process was managed through their online system. I was called by the office manager for that department to schedule a first in person interview. When I arrived, the hiring manager met with me in a board room, while the 3 surgeons involved were paged. It was a fairly intense interview with questions from all 4 of them.

Interview Questions

• What discipline (ie RN, MD, other types of users) presented with the most difficulty training on the system.   Answer Question

MR Technologist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hospital for Special Surgery in February 2013.

Interview

Asked normal interview questions, some technical questions not hard.

Interview Questions

• Was a very easy interview but there were 3 people in the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate