HostGator.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Chat Tech I Interview

Chat Tech I
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at HostGator.com in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview for administrator then one for entry level chat tech.

Interview Question – Trouble shooting techniques, port number usage, worst case scenario nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Junior Administrator I Interview

Junior Administrator I
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview Details – A few hours after the application I was asked to come in for an interview with the company. During the interview they asked several questions about DNS, outlook, and general webhosting questions.

Explain how DNS works.
What are MX Records.
What is cPanel.
What is WHM.
How do cPanel and WHM work together?
Have you ever had to set up outlook for a friend?
Do you have any customer service experience?
What are the steps to trouble shooting an issue?

Interview Question – The DNS questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was provided a range ($9-12), and was asked what I felt was an acceptable rate.

Very Easy Interview

Technical Support Representative Interview

Technical Support Representative
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at HostGator.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied, they called me in for an interview. Two young men in their early twenties took me in this room (that looked as if it were to fall apart at any time) to interview me. They asked me what DNS was, if I had ever used Outlook, and if I had ever had any Customer Service experience.

Interview Question – What is DNS?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate, but I accepted the job anyway. I didn't have a choice at the time.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junior Administrator Interview

Junior Administrator
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview Details – Initial communications were a bit slow. I think it took about a month from application submission to initial email to set up an interview. Once an interview was scheduled, I received a study guide for possible questions I might encounter on the interview. It was essentially an intro to web hosting. The interviewer asked me some pretty basic questions about DNS and other services that I would use on a daily basis. After that came salary discussion and then start date.

Interview Question – I had come in during some pretty bad weather, and I got asked why I showed up when te interview had been rescheduled.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I started high, and they talked me down a little. If you got to this point, they already want you on staff, so be reasonable, but don't settle too low.

Chat Tech Interview

Chat Tech
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at HostGator.com in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was able to get onboard with this company as a part time employee because of a friend. The interview process was straight forward. When I was hired it was prior to the EIG take over. With that being said I do not know what has changed if anything. I showed up for the interview in a suit. I was over dressed. The company atmosphere is very casual. There was a pre-interview questionnaire that I completed that was reviewed during the interview. Half of the questions required no additional follow up. The majority of the questions were basic trouble shooting. What is a 404 error. When do you get a 500 error, how to fix them and things like that. After the interview I was dismissed and they called me about 4 days later.

Negotiation Details – There was none for me - the interview was offering 12 - 14 and the initial offer was 11.50. I was looking for a part time job so the .50 cents wasn't worth potentially losing the job.

Chat Tech Interview

Chat Tech
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com in October 2009.

Interview Details – Found the job on Criagslist and applied at hostgator.com/jobs. Went in for an interview and was asked simple questions related to web hosting. The interviewer was friendly. Got a call after a couple of days with a job offer.

Interview Question – What is the difference between POP and IMAP   View Answer

Junior Administrative Interview

Junior Administrative
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very simple and easy. Questions about what kind of person you are, how well do you learn and an overview about errors that pages display such as 500, 404's 403'. etc.

Interview Question – Just a few SSH(Linux) related questions I can't recall.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Linux Administrator Interview

Linux Administrator
Houston, TX

I interviewed at HostGator.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – They brought me in and asked me silly questions about what kind of animal I would if I could be any animal. I told them I'd be a block of cheese. Apparently they did not agree that a block of cheese is an animal.

Interview Question – Why I want the job.   View Answer

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Linux Systems Administrator I
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at HostGator.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – They call and ask basic customer service questions then ask to schedule an interview.

Interview Question – Basic questions, i had the phone interview questions.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I didnt feel like they value employees much

Linux Administrator I Interview

Linux Administrator I
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview Details – Received my first phone interview which covered basic customer support questions. The second phone interview were some basic technical questions covering a range of topics as well as having to remotely log into one of their computers to do a technical exam. The whole process took just over a week.

Interview Question – What does customer support mean to you?

Customers email takes a few hours from sender to recipient, what would you do to trouble shoot the problem.
  Answer Question

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!