HostGator.com

Average Difficulty
61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at HostGator.com in November 2012.

Interview Details – The entire process took 1 week from initial interview to job offer. The first interview was question-based. They were looking for your experience and what your thought process was. The second part was an interactive interview, where you logged into one of their test environments and performed various commands and demonstrated various skills like searching, creating files with one command, networking terms, ports, etc. A lot of focus on CentOS, cPanel, and Linux.

Interview Question – How do you change a list of words in a file from slug format to Capitalized words? (ie police_officer to Police Officer)   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – First offer was $10k less then what I wanted in order to relocated. I negotiated $5k more and accepted offer.

Migrations Administrator I Interview

Migrations Administrator I
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com in March 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application using online form and was contacted by a recruiter. After a brief phone interview discussing resume, was asked to come in to a 1 on 1 meeting with an Adminstrator to answer simple questions.

After 1 on 1, was asked to attend a 2 week training class discussing policies and simple technical skills designed to be a refresher and qualification of skills.

Was promoted to Migrations Department after a few months.

Interview Question – Describe any computer background experience you may have had.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hours and days worked. I would suggest day time or Graveyard for others, as Night Shift does not get much attention.

Tech Support Interview

Tech Support
Houston, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at HostGator.com in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very detailed. They wanted to know what I knew in reference to hosting and web services. Overall they wanted to know if i was teachable.

Interview Question – What port would you use for TCP/IP   View Answer

Junior Billing Administrative Interview

Junior Billing Administrative
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HostGator.com in March 2012.

Interview Details – Was told there would be both a phone interview and one interview in person. I never got the phone interview, and the interview in person was very quick with an offer before even leaving.

Consisted of several questions related to website hosting. Very simple stuff such as error codes, mail ports, DNS, etc.

Interviewer was very friendly and made the company sound like a wonderful place.

Interview Question – What is a 500 error? (not really difficult, just one I can remember being asked)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not negotiable.

Junior Administrative Interview

Junior Administrative
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at HostGator.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – Very smooth interview process. First you need to sign a background check release form once you get in. Then, a person tells you very easy questions. Starting pay at $10 to 12.

Interview Question – Difference between POP3 and IMAP   Answer Question

Chat Tech Interview

Chat Tech
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at HostGator.com in January 2010.

Interview Details – Typeing test and basic knowledge of cPanel will be requested of any applicant.

Negotiation Details – Offer provided , you can either accept or deny.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HostGator.com in October 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out an online application. I received a call within a couple days asking if I could come in for an interview. The interview was purely technical asking questions about DNS, Linux commands and properties, website troubleshooting, etc.

Interview Question – Easy way to anti spoof a DNS.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HostGator.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out the online application and was contacted. I had to take a test that involved logging on to a Linux system (with screen so they could see what I was doing) and answering questions by looking on the Linux system and making changes in order to solve a problem; I did not get the answers to all the questions correct; I did not expect to be given an offer of employment and $3000 to relocate

Interview Question – How do you fix the following 500 ISE?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was 1-way (an implied take-it, or leave-it), given $3000 to relocate, but not told I'd have to pass a test in order to get the job. After relocating, you'd BETTER be prepared to pass!

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HostGator.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very cordial. They have phone interviews as a first round for most folks, but in my case, I lived close enough to skip that and just do a full interview.

Some of the questions are general Linux knowledge. Some of them are more 'gotchas' that are commonly seen at work, and you won't be expected to know. You don't have to know everything on their requirements list to qualify, but you should be sharp enough to convey that you can learn what you do not yet know.

Interview Question – If you disagree with how a superior tells you how to approach the problem, how do you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't do much for negotiation. I'd been out of work for a while, and they were offering more than I asked for initially. Good enough for me, I jumped in.

Junior Administrator I Interview

Junior Administrator I
Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview Details – This place seemed very hectic and they approached me with a very lax environment. I knew what I was getting into. But this is a complete facade. The trainer just got switched out for 2 guys that are very unprofessional. They hire 12 peeps then fire 1/2 the class then they kick them out to the floor. Quality hovers over you like you make 47k continually. I've never had quality up my arse so much at any phone job. The quota is 7 calls or interactions an hour. They want you to take calls and chats at the same time. You will be overwhelmed which is expected. You are to adapt or drown.

Negotiation Details – Very argumentative until I won. They started me off at 10.50 and I fought for a whopping 11.50.

Interviews for Top Jobs at HostGator.com