HostGator.com Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.3

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted application online, received request for a phone interview within 3 days. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. The supervisor that interviewed me was laid back but also very professional. He asked me several questions to gauge my technical experience and familiarity with the company. I received a call within an hour of leaving the interview to confirm that I got the job.

Junior Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was very simple and easy. Questions about what kind of person you are, how well do you learn and an overview about errors that pages display such as 500, 404's 403'. etc.

Interview Questions

• Just a few SSH(Linux) related questions I can't recall.   Answer Question

Chat Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

I was able to get onboard with this company as a part time employee because of a friend. The interview process was straight forward. When I was hired it was prior to the EIG take over. With that being said I do not know what has changed if anything. I showed up for the interview in a suit. I was over dressed. The company atmosphere is very casual. There was a pre-interview questionnaire that I completed that was reviewed during the interview. Half of the questions required no additional follow up. The majority of the questions were basic trouble shooting. What is a 404 error. When do you get a 500 error, how to fix them and things like that. After the interview I was dismissed and they called me about 4 days later.

Negotiation

There was none for me - the interview was offering 12 - 14 and the initial offer was 11.50. I was looking for a part time job so the .50 cents wasn't worth potentially losing the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

The entire process took 1 week from initial interview to job offer. The first interview was question-based. They were looking for your experience and what your thought process was. The second part was an interactive interview, where you logged into one of their test environments and performed various commands and demonstrated various skills like searching, creating files with one command, networking terms, ports, etc. A lot of focus on CentOS, cPanel, and Linux.

Interview Questions

• How do you change a list of words in a file from slug format to Capitalized words? (ie police_officer to Police Officer)   2 Answers

Negotiation

First offer was $10k less then what I wanted in order to relocated. I negotiated $5k more and accepted offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

Had an interview with a consulting company. Next, I was scheduled a linux exam and a telephone screening. These weren't very hard at all, and I was able to ace it with no problem.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. If you know Linux and are good with customers, then you can get a job offer here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was made an offer, I asked for more and the company accepted my request.

Junior Administrator Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

This was a laid-back interview. Just one or two people with you in a room. First I had a typing test, then I was asked a few VERY basic questions about web protocols. Many of the questions were, "What do you know about x," instead of specific inquiries. Be prepared to admit you don't know something, if you really don't. Just be as honest as possible, because HostGator will hire even potatoes as long as they are interested in server administration to some degree!

Basic HR-type / personality questions were reviewed as well. If you don't have customer service experience, try to think of an equivalent conflict in your life and explain that. HostGator is looking for fresh young faces who can absorb knowledge like a sponge.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Filled out an online application. I received a call within a couple days asking if I could come in for an interview. The interview was purely technical asking questions about DNS, Linux commands and properties, website troubleshooting, etc.

Junior Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Very smooth interview process. First you need to sign a background check release form once you get in. Then, a person tells you very easy questions. Starting pay at $10 to 12.

Junior Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX).

Interview

This place seemed very hectic and they approached me with a very lax environment. I knew what I was getting into. But this is a complete facade. The trainer just got switched out for 2 guys that are very unprofessional. They hire 12 peeps then fire 1/2 the class then they kick them out to the floor. Quality hovers over you like you make 47k continually. I've never had quality up my arse so much at any phone job. The quota is 7 calls or interactions an hour. They want you to take calls and chats at the same time. You will be overwhelmed which is expected. You are to adapt or drown.

Negotiation

Very argumentative until I won. They started me off at 10.50 and I fought for a whopping 11.50.

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX).

Interview

I interviewed for the Tech Suppport position. I arrived early. The girl at the front desk was wasn't very pleasant and I immediately felt uncomfortable. They provided some information to review and I had about 5 days or so to look over it. I didn't take the time to go over it like I should have and I wasn't prepared for all the questions the interviewer asked. It's been a long time since I've been on an interview and I didn't do good on this one. I suggest you study the material if you're not familiar with web hosting and you'll be fine.