Hot Topic

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Two interviews, one with the store manger and the second with a district manager. They kept communication with me as easy as possible and made sure I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Question – All the questions were really casual and they wanted to know more about my personality.   Answer Question

Dublin, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2010.

Interview Details – Most important: Can you add on to sales naturally? Do you ask open ended questions? How important is product knowledge? How do you handle customer objections? How important is greeting to you? Are you a self starter? How motivated are you?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is 0 negotiating. In the end I was not getting paid enough for all the responsibilities and expectations put on me. Also, after 3.5 years I only saw 1 raise and that was only from a promotion.

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews. mostly my prior knowledge about pop culture and past manager expierience

Interview Question – something that was difficult and also challenging in my past employer job   View Answer

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Interview Details – Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Question – 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2008.

Interview Details – Very easy. Asked basic questions about my experience. Asked what did I have to offer the company.

Interview Question – How would you help control loss prevention?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate my pay. Just let them know what you want to be paid. They are very open. Will compromise if can't give you what you want.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!