Hot Topic

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Aiea, HI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details – Turned in my app, got call within 2 hours. Had an interview the same day, manager was very friendly and easy going. Made me feel very comfortable, the interview was basically to get to know you better. Interests in music, movies, tv etc.

Wesley Chapel, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Question – I really good with interviews so there were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – I went to 1 group interview and was asked some basic questions. Who my favorite role model was, what I would do if I saw someone stealing, worst customer-service experience, etc. We showed up at the time and waited around the store until he took us out to the food court. We sat there and talked and answered questions. Didn't take very long. Was simple and easy. Didn't really pertain to sales though.

Interview Question – Perhaps the worst customer service experience one was. I don't shop at other stores often, I buy online instead. Customer service is not something I have had many encounters with, so it was hard for me to find an example off the top of my head.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable. I was hired on as seasonal at minimum wage. I am part time now but still minimum wage with no negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2009.

Interview Details – Great interview process. They have an awesome employee handbook easy to use follow and understand. Manager asked on point questions and describe tasks and duties well.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone ran out with a stack of T-shirts   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was young and didn't negotiate.

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2013.

Interview Details – HotTopic is a place with little staff & they get a lot of applications. When applying, your best bet is to fill out an application on paper & bring it in a day you know a manager is working. This way you can make an impression & the manager has more a chance of viewing your application. Dress like you work there & be tasteful/fashionable when you turn it in. Don't forget to try to have a conversation with the manager you give it to. This shows you understand fashion, their style, & you're not afraid to converse with people & perhaps shows that you're knowledgeable in something they sell. After you get an interview it's pretty easy from there on. I was given 2 interviews. Most people are given a 2nd if they awesome in the first. Just because you didn't get a second does NOT mean you didn't get the job. The hiring process with interviews and reference checks can take from 1 to 4 weeks depending. I've never heard it take longer. During the interview it's pretty laid back & fun. Be upbeat, show that you have energy & smile. They will ask you a lot of basic interview questions: ex: what would you do if you saw someone stealing, a friend stealing, or an employee stealing? Why do you think you're perfect for this job? Why did you choose to apply here? What can you bring to this team? Other questions are different than what you may be used to. When asked some questions like "we sell a lot of different things here what do you think you're strong point would be?" tell them a list of everything you're knowledgeable in. ex: "I'm very knowledgeable in video games, womens fashion & music." Always try to add in a conversation starter. This is what they expect you to do with customers & it makes you look good. ex "I'm very knowledgeable in music & TV shows. I'm really excited for the new season of walking dead to start next week!" They might also ask you questions after you answer something pertaining to your answer, so do NOT make up what you are knowledgeable in. I don't think many people would, but I just wanted to throw that out there. A good example of a follow up question might be: You answer "I'm very knowledgeable in music and TV shows." then they might ask "what are you top 3 favorite bands and shows?" These questions are perfect ones to strike up a conversation with. During the interview I was asked, after dropping that I love comic books, if I preferred DC or Marvel. I told them "I'd have to say Marvel because I love batman but I'm a HUGE fan of spider-man and x-men!" The manager & I then talked for awhile about our favorite x-men During the interview they will ask you to sell them things They don't expect you to be perfect but to know the basics. They train you for a reason. Another thing they do is ask you to put together an outfit which can be a lot of fun. During the interview they want you to dress like you work there However, even if you are & they think the outfit you picked is perfect they still want to make sure you know the image they're trying to give. aside from having you put together an outfit they may ask "If it were your first day working here & you could pick anything in the store to wear what would you pick?" Another fashion question they may ask is what things might fit a certain style. ex: punk fashion would be band shirts, leather jackets, spike bracelets, combat boots, etc. Music is a HUGE part of HotTopic. They'll ask you music questions. ex: What types of music do you like? What are your 3 favorite bands?The music questions are a great opportunity to strike up conversation as well. ex "one of my favorite bands is Mindless self indulgence. I've actually seen them live a couple times & they give an awesome performance." Like I said the interviews at HotTopic are pretty laid back & fun, so just relax, be your self and smile. It is an interview so have fun but be somewhat professional (Don't cuss, wear drug related stuff, or mention how wasted you were a few nights before.) . Good Luck!

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting this question: "What is one thing we sell that you hate?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can not negotiate pay.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Question – To sell a imaginary product to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Hot Topic Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online through an application form. It's recommended to go in the store and ask about the status of the application and be frequent. The interview was a simple affair, no more than a few minutes to discus basically whatever it is that you filled out in the application that they may have a problem with. Pass that and it's just a matter of persistence to get an answer about whether you'll be hired or not.

Interview Question – Are you able to come to work on time? Do you have your own form of reliable transportation? Do you have a problem with working night shifts or holidays?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask as many questions as you need to. Everything that you're not sure of, is open game. Clarify everything you say if you need to and ask for clarification of anything you don't understand.

Everett, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in May 2013.

Interview Details – Easy as pie. Must be in the right place at the right time though.
easy interview must know current pop culture like Justin Bieber and Nikki Menaj. Must know your Anime.

Reason for Declining – Low pay and hours and the Manger seemed angry all the time.

Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Got called for an interview a couple months after applying. Set up two interviews, both of which were very relaxed. Second one involved picking out an outfit for the manager.

Interview Question – Most are simple questions about your favorite music and how you keep up with pop culture. Nothing too hard.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic Hot Topic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees and interview candidates.