Hot Topic Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Visalia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Visalia, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month ago before I was called for an interview the next day. The assistant manager interviewed me in the food court, she asked me basic questions about my favorite music, TV, movies, ext. Then I was called for a second interview with the manager and what confused me was that he just asked me the exact same questions the girl asked. Both of them basically told me that our main goal is to sell and push things on people which really ticked me off since I hate going to stores like that. I was offered a position but I turned it down.

Interview Questions

I did not agree with the management values.

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Grapevine, TX).

Interview

I was asked a few basic questions about my customer service experience, scenarios about someone stealing, the type of music I listened too (make sure you mention bands they sell in the store) and tell them you follow the 'Hot Topic' of popularity.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate anything

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Las Cruces, NM).

Interview

Simple one on one interview in food court. Manager was very personable and he liked that I had a lot of customer service background. Even though I had no previous retail experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Riverside, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

it was a group interview, so it was sort of awkward and you had to fight to get a word in. There's not much more to say about it other than that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Daly City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was fairly short an painless, as well as informal, didn't even go to the back room for the questions. I simply came in and answered a few questions and explained why I wanted the position and why I thought I would be a good match for it.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite bands? Are you signed up for any fashion magazines? Which store in this mall would you consider the most fashion forward?   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

Interview

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What kind of music do you like? What does customer service mean to you? What do people describe you as?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Whitehall, PA) in July 2014.

Interview

Wear anything you want, i was stressing out about what to wear. Honestly plain jeans black shoes and a black tshirt will do fine. I applied in the store, got a call 2 weeks later for an interview. I was told I got the job during the interview. I was expecting a group interview but was very happy to see it was just me and the manager. Tips for group interviews, make sure you answer the questions first. You want to sound upbeat and excited.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, Why do you want to work for hot topic? Dont worry if you dont listen to rock or metal bands but just make sure you know what they sell in the store   Answer Question

Negotiation

there is no negotiation. Minimum wage no matter how much experience you have, but the employee discount is awesome 40% off

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Wesley Chapel, FL).

Interview

I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Columbus, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

HotTopic is a place with little staff & they get a lot of applications. When applying, your best bet is to fill out an application on paper & bring it in a day you know a manager is working. This way you can make an impression & the manager has more a chance of viewing your application. Dress like you work there & be tasteful/fashionable when you turn it in. Don't forget to try to have a conversation with the manager you give it to. This shows you understand fashion, their style, & you're not afraid to converse with people & perhaps shows that you're knowledgeable in something they sell. After you get an interview it's pretty easy from there on. I was given 2 interviews. Most people are given a 2nd if they awesome in the first. Just because you didn't get a second does NOT mean you didn't get the job. The hiring process with interviews and reference checks can take from 1 to 4 weeks depending. I've never heard it take longer. During the interview it's pretty laid back & fun. Be upbeat, show that you have energy & smile. They will ask you a lot of basic interview questions: ex: what would you do if you saw someone stealing, a friend stealing, or an employee stealing? Why do you think you're perfect for this job? Why did you choose to apply here? What can you bring to this team? Other questions are different than what you may be used to. When asked some questions like "we sell a lot of different things here what do you think you're strong point would be?" tell them a list of everything you're knowledgeable in. ex: "I'm very knowledgeable in video games, womens fashion & music." Always try to add in a conversation starter. This is what they expect you to do with customers & it makes you look good. ex "I'm very knowledgeable in music & TV shows. I'm really excited for the new season of walking dead to start next week!" They might also ask you questions after you answer something pertaining to your answer, so do NOT make up what you are knowledgeable in. I don't think many people would, but I just wanted to throw that out there. A good example of a follow up question might be: You answer "I'm very knowledgeable in music and TV shows." then they might ask "what are you top 3 favorite bands and shows?" These questions are perfect ones to strike up a conversation with. During the interview I was asked, after dropping that I love comic books, if I preferred DC or Marvel. I told them "I'd have to say Marvel because I love batman but I'm a HUGE fan of spider-man and x-men!" The manager & I then talked for awhile about our favorite x-men During the interview they will ask you to sell them things They don't expect you to be perfect but to know the basics. They train you for a reason. Another thing they do is ask you to put together an outfit which can be a lot of fun. During the interview they want you to dress like you work there However, even if you are & they think the outfit you picked is perfect they still want to make sure you know the image they're trying to give. aside from having you put together an outfit they may ask "If it were your first day working here & you could pick anything in the store to wear what would you pick?" Another fashion question they may ask is what things might fit a certain style. ex: punk fashion would be band shirts, leather jackets, spike bracelets, combat boots, etc. Music is a HUGE part of HotTopic. They'll ask you music questions. ex: What types of music do you like? What are your 3 favorite bands?The music questions are a great opportunity to strike up conversation as well. ex "one of my favorite bands is Mindless self indulgence. I've actually seen them live a couple times & they give an awesome performance." Like I said the interviews at HotTopic are pretty laid back & fun, so just relax, be your self and smile. It is an interview so have fun but be somewhat professional (Don't cuss, wear drug related stuff, or mention how wasted you were a few nights before.) . Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting this question: "What is one thing we sell that you hate?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

You can not negotiate pay.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question