Hot Topic Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Simple one on one interview in food court. Manager was very personable and he liked that I had a lot of customer service background. Even though I had no previous retail experience.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you?
      What kind of music do you like?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      What do people describe you as?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Wear anything you want, i was stressing out about what to wear. Honestly plain jeans black shoes and a black tshirt will do fine. I applied in the store, got a call 2 weeks later for an interview. I was told I got the job during the interview. I was expecting a group interview but was very happy to see it was just me and the manager. Tips for group interviews, make sure you answer the questions first. You want to sound upbeat and excited.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions, Why do you want to work for hot topic? Dont worry if you dont listen to rock or metal bands but just make sure you know what they sell in the store   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. Minimum wage no matter how much experience you have, but the employee discount is awesome 40% off

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Questions
    Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in October 2013.

HotTopic is a place with little staff & they get a lot of applications. When applying, your best bet is to fill out an application on paper & bring it in a day you know a manager is working. This way you can make an impression & the manager has more a chance of viewing your application. Dress like you work there & be tasteful/fashionable when you turn it in. Don't forget to try to have a conversation with the manager you give it to. This shows you understand fashion, their style, & you're not afraid to converse with people & perhaps shows that you're knowledgeable in something they sell. After you get an interview it's pretty easy from there on. I was given 2 interviews. Most people are given a 2nd if they awesome in the first. Just because you didn't get a second does NOT mean you didn't get the job. The hiring process with interviews and reference checks can take from 1 to 4 weeks depending. I've never heard it take longer. During the interview it's pretty laid back & fun. Be upbeat, show that you have energy & smile. They will ask you a lot of basic interview questions: ex: what would you do if you saw someone stealing, a friend stealing, or an employee stealing? Why do you think you're perfect for this job? Why did you choose to apply here? What can you bring to this team? Other questions are different than what you may be used to. When asked some questions like "we sell a lot of different things here what do you think you're strong point would be?" tell them a list of everything you're knowledgeable in. ex: "I'm very knowledgeable in video games, womens fashion & music." Always try to add in a conversation starter. This is what they expect you to do with customers & it makes you look good. ex "I'm very knowledgeable in music & TV shows. I'm really excited for the new season of walking dead to start next week!" They might also ask you questions after you answer something pertaining to your answer, so do NOT make up what you are knowledgeable in. I don't think many people would, but I just wanted to throw that out there. A good example of a follow up question might be: You answer "I'm very knowledgeable in music and TV shows." then they might ask "what are you top 3 favorite bands and shows?" These questions are perfect ones to strike up a conversation with. During the interview I was asked, after dropping that I love comic books, if I preferred DC or Marvel. I told them "I'd have to say Marvel because I love batman but I'm a HUGE fan of spider-man and x-men!" The manager & I then talked for awhile about our favorite x-men During the interview they will ask you to sell them things They don't expect you to be perfect but to know the basics. They train you for a reason. Another thing they do is ask you to put together an outfit which can be a lot of fun. During the interview they want you to dress like you work there However, even if you are & they think the outfit you picked is perfect they still want to make sure you know the image they're trying to give. aside from having you put together an outfit they may ask "If it were your first day working here & you could pick anything in the store to wear what would you pick?" Another fashion question they may ask is what things might fit a certain style. ex: punk fashion would be band shirts, leather jackets, spike bracelets, combat boots, etc. Music is a HUGE part of HotTopic. They'll ask you music questions. ex: What types of music do you like? What are your 3 favorite bands?The music questions are a great opportunity to strike up conversation as well. ex "one of my favorite bands is Mindless self indulgence. I've actually seen them live a couple times & they give an awesome performance." Like I said the interviews at HotTopic are pretty laid back & fun, so just relax, be your self and smile. It is an interview so have fun but be somewhat professional (Don't cuss, wear drug related stuff, or mention how wasted you were a few nights before.) . Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting this question: "What is one thing we sell that you hate?"   View Answer
    You can not negotiate pay.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Questions
    They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

I went to 1 group interview and was asked some basic questions. Who my favorite role model was, what I would do if I saw someone stealing, worst customer-service experience, etc. We showed up at the time and waited around the store until he took us out to the food court. We sat there and talked and answered questions. Didn't take very long. Was simple and easy. Didn't really pertain to sales though.

Interview Questions
    • Perhaps the worst customer service experience one was. I don't shop at other stores often, I buy online instead. Customer service is not something I have had many encounters with, so it was hard for me to find an example off the top of my head.   Answer Question
    Nothing was negotiable. I was hired on as seasonal at minimum wage. I am part time now but still minimum wage with no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic in May 2013.

Easy as pie. Must be in the right place at the right time though.
    easy interview must know current pop culture like Justin Bieber and Nikki Menaj. Must know your Anime.

Low pay and hours and the Manger seemed angry all the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Got called for an interview a couple months after applying. Set up two interviews, both of which were very relaxed. Second one involved picking out an outfit for the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Most are simple questions about your favorite music and how you keep up with pop culture. Nothing too hard.   View Answer