Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.2

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I was key holder and got promoted up to PTASM very easily, so I didn't have to do an interview. But considering it's HT, they just want to know if you're trustworthy, know how to sell and not take No for an answer, up to date on trends and pop culture, have a very energetic and spunky personality, and if you can devote pretty much a guaranteed 32 hours to the store. You might also be given scenarios of things to sell to the store manager or DM giving the interview, so let your personality shine.

Interview Questions

• Name your favorite albums that have just been released?
      What's the latest concert you've attended?
      If you caught someone stealing merch, what would you do?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Bloomington, MN).

Interview

When I handed in my application and resume, I was interviewed on the spot. I wasn't expecting to do so. I advise you to be prepared just in case. I was then asked to come back and do a second interview. They asked general questions as well as questions involving my knowledge with the company's product. My manager at my location asks a specific question "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?" I answered correctly obviously. I don't understand how anyone looking for a job would answer differently. But I was informed that I would be surprised on how many people they get who choose the latter.

Interview Questions

• "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?"   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Visalia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic (Visalia, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month ago before I was called for an interview the next day. The assistant manager interviewed me in the food court, she asked me basic questions about my favorite music, TV, movies, ext. Then I was called for a second interview with the manager and what confused me was that he just asked me the exact same questions the girl asked. Both of them basically told me that our main goal is to sell and push things on people which really ticked me off since I hate going to stores like that. I was offered a position but I turned it down.

Interview Questions

I did not agree with the management values.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was pretty easy, the whole process from interview to start date was about two weeks. Just go in confident and friendly and it's easy. The interviewer was really great and walking up to her I basically acted as if we had been friends for a while and we hit it off nicely.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in March 2015.

Interview

After setting up an interview, I met with the Store Manager and we sat out in the mall for the interview. She asked me a few questions regarding current music and pop culture and even asked about my favorite music and pop culture franchises. After a couple days I received a phone call from the Store Manager offering me a position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online then got called a few weeks later to come in the next day for an interview. The interview was short (about 15 minutes). She asked really easy questions, asked me about my availability then offered me the job on the spot!

Interview Questions

• What kind of music do you listen to?
      What shows are you currently watching?
      Tell about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it.
      What previous sales experience I had,

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The process took about two weeks and i applied in.store and asked to speak to the hiring manager and got called back for an interview a week later and back for another interview it was a pretty easy interview they just want to know how familiar you are with their merchandise

Keyholder Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic in January 2015.

Interview

I was suggested by management for a promotion from sales associate to key holder, so I didn't need to apply again.

All I was required to do was sit with the District Manager for a short interview. It was intimidating but with some confidence, honest self-assessment, and knowledge of the store and business, it went very well.

Interview Questions

• Is there a difference between management and leadership?   1 Answer
    • What do you think is the best way to prevent loss?   1 Answer
    • Tell me an area of your work performance that can use the most improvement. How are you working towards improving it?   Answer Question
    • What is your management style?   Answer Question
    • Describe the best/worst manager you've ever had. What should they have done differently?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given an hourly pay that was different from what was agreed to during this phase. Biggest lesson learned: get your negotiated pay in writing.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

This was a few years ago (before I advanced in the company), but my best friend who worked at HT recommended me to her store manager. He called me and set up an interview. First time meeting. We sat on a mall bench and he asked me some standard questions, it really only lasted for about 20 or so minutes. He offered me a job on the spot and that led to 5 awesome years at the coolest store in the mall.

Interview Questions

• "What were you listening to in the car on the way here?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered minimum wage, as expected. Not much negotiation, but I did receive raises later on as I advanced in the company.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

After visiting the store the manager contacted me 2 days later for an interview. The interview begins with questions about what are your favorite bands, movies, tv shows, and if you have any knowledge of anime. The rest are standard interview questions such as if you have previous work experience and how flexible you are with your schedule. 2 days after the interview I was offered a position and I accepted.