Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.2

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Alpharetta, GA).

Interview

Walked in to ask for app . Brief convo with SM and we had great vibes . Had me do app online and called me two days later for an interview. One week later I had an interview with the district manager. Went we'll, the part that took long was the background check. I was honest & let them know about my record & to my surpise I still got the job . Overall, took about 3& a half weeks . No drug test

Interview Questions

• Ask about pop culture and anime(which I knew nothing about)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had to take a pay cut, there's really no room for negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Ventura, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I had already applied online just in case, an then dropped a resume in the actual store. Shortly after i had an interview three days after dropping the resume. Easy as that I passed the interview and got the job !

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Hot Topic?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you saw a customer or coworker stealing? The general questions.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Went in the store and handed in my resume to the manager. Was called the following week. Went for a group interview was called the same day that I got the job.

Anonymous Employee in Salem, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Salem, NH) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online back in May and got a call mid July to come in for an interview. 3The assistant manager walked me over to the food court and we made some small talk about their business before sitting down. It wasn't impossible to hear her and she asked pretty basic questions such as "Why Hot Topic?", "What's the best customer service you've ever had?", "What would you do about stealing?, "How would you greet customers?", etc. She also asked about my favorite bands and pop culture icons. I was offered a second interview on the spot.

Interview Questions

• "What is the worst customer service you ever had?"   Answer Question
    • "Who is your favorite pop culture icon we sell?"   Answer Question

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2015.

Interview

Very easy going in person interview, was given an interview with district manager. Was then given the link to filing a background check on my own, waited 2 weeks, background check came back clear yet the offer was never given. If a background check is done; it doesn't mean they are interested all the time.

Interview Questions

• What was one mistake you made as an assistant manager at your previous job? How did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with a senior technical designer and the VP --- all extremely positive. Also interviewed with the hiring manager. Experience was so-so. I don't think I clicked with her. Come to find out, she is very good friends with my current boss. Also, when HR called to interview me by phone, the position was not clarified and it is for a category that is not my forte. My expertise is clearly stated on my resume. So, not sure where the miscommunication happened.

Interview Questions

• There is not one particular thing that stood out. We talked about "day in the life of" and I discussed how I proceeded with my work on a regular day.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Bloomington, MN).

Interview

When I handed in my application and resume, I was interviewed on the spot. I wasn't expecting to do so. I advise you to be prepared just in case. I was then asked to come back and do a second interview. They asked general questions as well as questions involving my knowledge with the company's product. My manager at my location asks a specific question "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?" I answered correctly obviously. I don't understand how anyone looking for a job would answer differently. But I was informed that I would be surprised on how many people they get who choose the latter.

Interview Questions

• "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?"   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I was key holder and got promoted up to PTASM very easily, so I didn't have to do an interview. But considering it's HT, they just want to know if you're trustworthy, know how to sell and not take No for an answer, up to date on trends and pop culture, have a very energetic and spunky personality, and if you can devote pretty much a guaranteed 32 hours to the store. You might also be given scenarios of things to sell to the store manager or DM giving the interview, so let your personality shine.

Interview Questions

• Name your favorite albums that have just been released? What's the latest concert you've attended? If you caught someone stealing merch, what would you do?   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Visalia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Visalia, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month ago before I was called for an interview the next day. The assistant manager interviewed me in the food court, she asked me basic questions about my favorite music, TV, movies, ext. Then I was called for a second interview with the manager and what confused me was that he just asked me the exact same questions the girl asked. Both of them basically told me that our main goal is to sell and push things on people which really ticked me off since I hate going to stores like that. I was offered a position but I turned it down.

Interview Questions

I did not agree with the management values.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was pretty easy, the whole process from interview to start date was about two weeks. Just go in confident and friendly and it's easy. The interviewer was really great and walking up to her I basically acted as if we had been friends for a while and we hit it off nicely.