Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springdale, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Usually it goes by making an impression on the managers, especially the store manager, before applying or even asking for an application. The more I came into the store the more they noticed me, and saw how I was as a customer and my passion/knowledge for the pop-culture and music themes they had going on in the store. As people might think that you need a lot of music knowledge, it's not as intense as you think. As long as you are aware of what Hot Topic is as a fan base it's pretty straight forward. As for the interview itself, just be yourself to an extent. Be polite and honest with your interviewer. it's all about how approachable and outgoing you can be as an employee to engage in possible sales and conversations with a customer, rather than your over all knowledge of the products. I learned more about the more current mainstream metal scene in the 3 months I worked there than I did before I was hired on.

Interview Questions
    • Is it really hard to get chosen to be hired with so many applications that are turned in on almost a weekly basis?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Antioch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Hot Topic in September 2014.

The process was pretty fast. I applied online to my nearest Hot Topic and i was called within 5 days for an interview. The interview was a group interview, which they had not informed me of. There was three of us. The interview was easy and they asked basic questions about favorite music bands, favorite movies, past job experience, personal hobbies, etc. The hardest part was trying to get in talking because one of the other people just wouldnt stop and he would cut us off.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you?
      What kind of music do you like?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      What do people describe you as?
        Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Applied in person, was called in for an interview. Interviewer was very chill and friendly, asked about a previous work experience, what I want to do in school, and asked what customer service meant to me (which is also asked on the application). I was hired on the spot, and was told i'd be notified when to come in for training, which was only a few days later. In total the interview lasted no more than 5 minutes, and was up in the front of the store near some racks. Very unprofessional to me, but I've noticed they do that for everyone, as well at other locations.

Interview Questions
    • When she asked me about previous work, she asked me to try to compare how my previous job with the position she's offering, such as roles and responsibilities.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

The interview was extremely informal and was really a test of if you are hip and know pop culture. The first interview is a group interview, so be prepared. They most certainly are looking for teenagers and young adults to fill their positions. I'm in my twenties and lost out to a bunch of high school kids that looked very new to the interview process. Wear the product, know the product, and act young and hip and you should be fine.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bismarck, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bismarck, ND

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call for an interview about 5-6 days later. I went in and the interview was very low-key and not stressful at all. Besides questions about my work ethic and customer service, I was also asked about my favorite licensed characters featured in the store, along with my favorite band and a few questions about how I would promote those things if I needed to. I was immediately given a second interview and was hired about 2 days later over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Whitehall, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Wear anything you want, i was stressing out about what to wear. Honestly plain jeans black shoes and a black tshirt will do fine. I applied in the store, got a call 2 weeks later for an interview. I was told I got the job during the interview. I was expecting a group interview but was very happy to see it was just me and the manager. Tips for group interviews, make sure you answer the questions first. You want to sound upbeat and excited.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions, Why do you want to work for hot topic? Dont worry if you dont listen to rock or metal bands but just make sure you know what they sell in the store   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. Minimum wage no matter how much experience you have, but the employee discount is awesome 40% off

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online from their website and got a call back from the store manager within a week. We scheduled a same day interview. The store manager was laid back and easy to talk to. We went over my management history, why I was looking for a new job, and why I chose to apply at Hot Topic. He asked mostly scenario based questions which needed examples of when/why/how something occurred. We then set up an interview time with the DM for later that week.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most recent risk you've taken? It wasn't difficult, just unexpected.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Saw a sign saying the store was hiring so I went in and the manager printed out an application for me. I filled it out and returned it same-day, and immediately was able to schedule for an interview 2 days later. Took 2 weeks to get a call-back for a group interview. The group interview consisted of being in the store & greeting customers for ~30 minutes with 3 other people in my int. group. About a week & a half later, the manager called asking me to come in a couple days later to talk about my availability. First shift was a few days later. The one on one interview was very casual, with a lot of standard corporate-made questions. Group interview was easy as well.

No negotiation

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!