Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.2

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Park, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Forest Park, GA) in June 2007.

Interview

I first overheard from a customer about the hiring. I immediately applied. After a week, I got a call. During the first interview they had 20 people. They asked a series of questions of customer service and how we would address it if there were problems. Most of all, as each interview progressed, people decreased in numbers. Out of 20, there were 8 left from the interview that got hired. It was difficult.

Interview Questions

• How would you contribute to the company?   Answer Question
    • What will make you an asset to Hot Topic?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Interview

Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

Interview

was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Questions

• how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

pay

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Questions

• Examples of best and worst customer service   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Questions

• To sell a imaginary product to them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dallas, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

these are done informally and best to dress to the store brand. if not you could quickly be over looked

Interview Questions

Negotiation

took about a month to get a call back about the interview set up, then about a week to hear back that i got the job

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

Interview

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? What kind of music do you like? What does customer service mean to you? What do people describe you as?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Riverside, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

it was a group interview, so it was sort of awkward and you had to fight to get a word in. There's not much more to say about it other than that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Interview

Printed the application online and filled out as much as possible and took it in store. Wasn't expecting to immediately get an interview, but I was asked a few general questions and then told I had an interview in a week! Both took place in store. The first interview I was asked some pretty vague questions and that's what made them hard to answer, but the more personal questions were the easiest. They basically want to make sure you will know what to do if someone is stealing and that you have selling skills to sell as much merchandise as possible. After about twenty minutes of questions I was asked to pick out an outfit for a customer without knowing anything about them in less than 4 minutes, then give an explanation for the clothes I picked. After that I was told my 2nd interview was in another week. It wasn't very difficult, I was just nervous and they were really busy so you've got to stay focused. The 2nd one was even more pleasant, I was asked more personal questions to get to know me, and asked generally "why should we pick you" questions. I really like the team and it was a fun and positive experience. The bad news is that if I am lucky enough to be one of the people they choose, they won't be hiring for at least a month and it will be seasonal. Still, I'm excitedly waiting to hear back with fingers crossed that I'll get the job!

Interview Questions

• An unexpected question was "What inspires your personal fashion?" and the hardest was "What merchandise will be the most difficult for you to sell?"   Answer Question