Hot Topic

2.2

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Park, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Forest Park, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2007.

I first overheard from a customer about the hiring. I immediately applied. After a week, I got a call. During the first interview they had 20 people. They asked a series of questions of customer service and how we would address it if there were problems. Most of all, as each interview progressed, people decreased in numbers. Out of 20, there were 8 left from the interview that got hired. It was difficult.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Questions
    • 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Questions
    • how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

pay

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Questions
    • Examples of best and worst customer service   View Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Questions
    They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Three interviews, two with district manager, and one with regional manager. Overall easy process, skype and phone interviews. Lots of details about job description and goals for location. Annual visits and one on ones are frequent. During skype interviewing they are looking for your reaction to certain questions and workload related descriptions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between selling and customer service? Do you like when someone tries to sell you something? What kind of leader are you?   Answer Question
    look into cost of living, make sure to get a fair rate for location and volume especially if you have experience.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Questions
    Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Industry, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Industry, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Schedule interview, but didn't call, I call back several times to HR finally reschedule another interview.