Hot Topic

77 candidate interviews

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Forest Park, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2007.

Interview Details – I first overheard from a customer about the hiring. I immediately applied. After a week, I got a call. During the first interview they had 20 people. They asked a series of questions of customer service and how we would address it if there were problems. Most of all, as each interview progressed, people decreased in numbers. Out of 20, there were 8 left from the interview that got hired. It was difficult.

Interview Questions

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Interview Details – Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Question – 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Question – Examples of best and worst customer service   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

Interview Details – was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Question – how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay

Manager Interview

Manager
City of Industry, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Question – Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Question – To sell a imaginary product to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Internet Interview

Internet
City of Industry, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in December 2009.

Interview Details – Don't wear a suit!! To fit into the casual atmosphere, HR told me in advance not to wear a suit and they were right. I wore nice jeans and a t-shirt that I bought at Hot Topic and fit in perfectly. I met with 3 people not including HR and they were all very kind and made me feel comfortable. They are looking for people who have a passion for music - ANY music, not just Hot Topic bands - that can connect with their customer base.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Hot Topic? What kind of music do you listen to? What can you bring to the team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but they did not budge on their base salary. They did, however, provide me with a signing bonus and relocation assistance.

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2010.

Interview Details – these are done informally and best to dress to the store brand. if not you could quickly be over looked

Interview Question – Loss pervention   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – took about a month to get a call back about the interview set up, then about a week to hear back that i got the job

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2011.

Interview Details – Basically, it was a group interview where they just asked us a lot of questions about the store, what kind of music we listen to, are we good working with people, do we know how to fold, and a few things about to customer service. It wasn't that hard, Just kind of intimidating when the manager asked us about our prior work experience because everyone had either high work experience, or just a better answer.

Interview Question – What kind of music do you listen to?   View Answer

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2011.

Interview Details – So it was a really big job fair at Square One on the lower level. I was underage back then to get a job so my chances were pretty low at the time. There were tons of people waiting in line to get an interview. I saw a couple of people at my school in line for an interview. There were probably two steps, if you can't make the first cut, then you don't meet the manager who was in the other room.

Interview Question – What are your favourite bands?   Answer Question

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!