Hot Topic

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.2

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Very detailed

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic.

When I was interviewed I was told first thing that I was hired. The manager took me in the back and had a one on one interview with me. We mostly talked about music. It was the easiest and most awkward interview I had ever taken. This was five years ago and the manager was a really terrible person. He really didn't care. He was fired in less than a year. I do the hiring now and it is a longer process in which I get to know who I am letting into my work place to see if they work well with my team and the tasks at hand.

Interview Questions
    • I had to fill out one of those "what's right and wrong" question booklets. The ones that ask "if you put an item in your pocket without paying for it, is it consider stealing?"   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hot Topic.

The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Applied online, then came into the store. The manager interviewed me on the spot. Needless to say, I was flustered.

Interview Questions
    • What is a difficult situation that you got your way out of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

it was really easy, just asked what music i listen to

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

It was a three step hiring process. First was a phone interview with basic questions to make sure you could meet the requirements for the job, like availability. The second was an in person interview at the store. I didn't want to be cliche and wear goth style clothing with heavy makeup because that's not my personal style. I wore black Jessica Simpson Jeggings, an Eye of Providence type simple black tank, with a gold cardigan. The questions ranged from my understanding of Pop Culture to how I would handle a chaos environment. The third interview was another phone interview with the district manager because she could not make it to the store for a face-to-face. More basic questions. Overall it was a very inviting atmosphere with probably the most comfortable people to work with. If the job met my criteria I would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you different than the other 12 applicants I interviewed?   View Answer
    • What does Pop Culture mean to you?   View Answer
    • How do you handle an adult, like a father, who brought his daughter in to shop?   View Answer

The hours were too shady and the pay didn't warrant trying to make it work.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Two interviews, one with the store manger and the second with a district manager. They kept communication with me as easy as possible and made sure I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were really casual and they wanted to know more about my personality.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Applied in person, was called in for an interview. Interviewer was very chill and friendly, asked about a previous work experience, what I want to do in school, and asked what customer service meant to me (which is also asked on the application). I was hired on the spot, and was told i'd be notified when to come in for training, which was only a few days later. In total the interview lasted no more than 5 minutes, and was up in the front of the store near some racks. Very unprofessional to me, but I've noticed they do that for everyone, as well at other locations.

Interview Questions
    • When she asked me about previous work, she asked me to try to compare how my previous job with the position she's offering, such as roles and responsibilities.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga Springs, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic in August 2009.

By the book interview with two managers. They were very nice and easy to talk to. Very interested in my choice of clothes, hair style. Checked all my references before the interview. If you have in interview right before back to school season or Christmas you will definitely get the job. No drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Same old why do you want to work here question you always get.   Answer Question
    no negotiation you either take the min. wage or you don't.