Hot Topic

2.2

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Applied in person, was called in for an interview. Interviewer was very chill and friendly, asked about a previous work experience, what I want to do in school, and asked what customer service meant to me (which is also asked on the application). I was hired on the spot, and was told i'd be notified when to come in for training, which was only a few days later. In total the interview lasted no more than 5 minutes, and was up in the front of the store near some racks. Very unprofessional to me, but I've noticed they do that for everyone, as well at other locations.

Interview Questions
    • When she asked me about previous work, she asked me to try to compare how my previous job with the position she's offering, such as roles and responsibilities.   View Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hot Topic in August 2014.

I turned in my application 2 months ago and I didn't expect them to call after that but they called me the day before the interview was schedule so the next day I went to the interview with 4 other people. Personal I thought I aced the interview because I was more outspoken than anyone else but I was also the one with no piercings, no tatoos, or any kind of color in my hair which kinda sucks. I didn't get a call back the schedule day so the position has been taken, but I think its because I didn't fit the "look".

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you?
      What kind of music do you like?
      What does customer service mean to you?
      What do people describe you as?

Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Three interviews, two with district manager, and one with regional manager. Overall easy process, skype and phone interviews. Lots of details about job description and goals for location. Annual visits and one on ones are frequent. During skype interviewing they are looking for your reaction to certain questions and workload related descriptions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between selling and customer service? Do you like when someone tries to sell you something? What kind of leader are you?   Answer Question
    look into cost of living, make sure to get a fair rate for location and volume especially if you have experience.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitehall, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Wear anything you want, i was stressing out about what to wear. Honestly plain jeans black shoes and a black tshirt will do fine. I applied in the store, got a call 2 weeks later for an interview. I was told I got the job during the interview. I was expecting a group interview but was very happy to see it was just me and the manager. Tips for group interviews, make sure you answer the questions first. You want to sound upbeat and excited.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions, Why do you want to work for hot topic? Dont worry if you dont listen to rock or metal bands but just make sure you know what they sell in the store   Answer Question
    there is no negotiation. Minimum wage no matter how much experience you have, but the employee discount is awesome 40% off

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bismarck, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bismarck, ND

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call for an interview about 5-6 days later. I went in and the interview was very low-key and not stressful at all. Besides questions about my work ethic and customer service, I was also asked about my favorite licensed characters featured in the store, along with my favorite band and a few questions about how I would promote those things if I needed to. I was immediately given a second interview and was hired about 2 days later over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best customer service experience you've had?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Usually it goes by making an impression on the managers, especially the store manager, before applying or even asking for an application. The more I came into the store the more they noticed me, and saw how I was as a customer and my passion/knowledge for the pop-culture and music themes they had going on in the store. As people might think that you need a lot of music knowledge, it's not as intense as you think. As long as you are aware of what Hot Topic is as a fan base it's pretty straight forward. As for the interview itself, just be yourself to an extent. Be polite and honest with your interviewer. it's all about how approachable and outgoing you can be as an employee to engage in possible sales and conversations with a customer, rather than your over all knowledge of the products. I learned more about the more current mainstream metal scene in the 3 months I worked there than I did before I was hired on.

Interview Questions
    • Is it really hard to get chosen to be hired with so many applications that are turned in on almost a weekly basis?   View Answer

Full Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

I applied online from their website and got a call back from the store manager within a week. We scheduled a same day interview. The store manager was laid back and easy to talk to. We went over my management history, why I was looking for a new job, and why I chose to apply at Hot Topic. He asked mostly scenario based questions which needed examples of when/why/how something occurred. We then set up an interview time with the DM for later that week.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most recent risk you've taken? It wasn't difficult, just unexpected.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Two interviews, one with the store manger and the second with a district manager. They kept communication with me as easy as possible and made sure I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were really casual and they wanted to know more about my personality.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA
    Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question