Hot Topic

Average Difficulty
72 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – I went to 1 group interview and was asked some basic questions. Who my favorite role model was, what I would do if I saw someone stealing, worst customer-service experience, etc. We showed up at the time and waited around the store until he took us out to the food court. We sat there and talked and answered questions. Didn't take very long. Was simple and easy. Didn't really pertain to sales though.

Interview Question – Perhaps the worst customer service experience one was. I don't shop at other stores often, I buy online instead. Customer service is not something I have had many encounters with, so it was hard for me to find an example off the top of my head.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable. I was hired on as seasonal at minimum wage. I am part time now but still minimum wage with no negotiation.

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2009.

Interview Details – Great interview process. They have an awesome employee handbook easy to use follow and understand. Manager asked on point questions and describe tasks and duties well.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone ran out with a stack of T-shirts   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was young and didn't negotiate.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2013.

Interview Details – I really really wanted to get hired, but was afraid that I botched up, because I was so nervous, and because there was a lot of people interviewing today. For this interview, I dressed how I would dress if I worked there, except I went a little bit more "fashionable"? Anyways, smile, and be sure you know about pop culture, including video games. One of the questions, they ask me was "What would you recommend someone who played the Legend of Zelda?"

Interview Question – I think the most unexpected question was, "when you go shopping, do you go to shop, or do you talk to people?''   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2013.

Interview Details – HotTopic is a place with little staff & they get a lot of applications. When applying, your best bet is to fill out an application on paper & bring it in a day you know a manager is working. This way you can make an impression & the manager has more a chance of viewing your application. Dress like you work there & be tasteful/fashionable when you turn it in. Don't forget to try to have a conversation with the manager you give it to. This shows you understand fashion, their style, & you're not afraid to converse with people & perhaps shows that you're knowledgeable in something they sell. After you get an interview it's pretty easy from there on. I was given 2 interviews. Most people are given a 2nd if they awesome in the first. Just because you didn't get a second does NOT mean you didn't get the job. The hiring process with interviews and reference checks can take from 1 to 4 weeks depending. I've never heard it take longer. During the interview it's pretty laid back & fun. Be upbeat, show that you have energy & smile. They will ask you a lot of basic interview questions: ex: what would you do if you saw someone stealing, a friend stealing, or an employee stealing? Why do you think you're perfect for this job? Why did you choose to apply here? What can you bring to this team? Other questions are different than what you may be used to. When asked some questions like "we sell a lot of different things here what do you think you're strong point would be?" tell them a list of everything you're knowledgeable in. ex: "I'm very knowledgeable in video games, womens fashion & music." Always try to add in a conversation starter. This is what they expect you to do with customers & it makes you look good. ex "I'm very knowledgeable in music & TV shows. I'm really excited for the new season of walking dead to start next week!" They might also ask you questions after you answer something pertaining to your answer, so do NOT make up what you are knowledgeable in. I don't think many people would, but I just wanted to throw that out there. A good example of a follow up question might be: You answer "I'm very knowledgeable in music and TV shows." then they might ask "what are you top 3 favorite bands and shows?" These questions are perfect ones to strike up a conversation with. During the interview I was asked, after dropping that I love comic books, if I preferred DC or Marvel. I told them "I'd have to say Marvel because I love batman but I'm a HUGE fan of spider-man and x-men!" The manager & I then talked for awhile about our favorite x-men During the interview they will ask you to sell them things They don't expect you to be perfect but to know the basics. They train you for a reason. Another thing they do is ask you to put together an outfit which can be a lot of fun. During the interview they want you to dress like you work there However, even if you are & they think the outfit you picked is perfect they still want to make sure you know the image they're trying to give. aside from having you put together an outfit they may ask "If it were your first day working here & you could pick anything in the store to wear what would you pick?" Another fashion question they may ask is what things might fit a certain style. ex: punk fashion would be band shirts, leather jackets, spike bracelets, combat boots, etc. Music is a HUGE part of HotTopic. They'll ask you music questions. ex: What types of music do you like? What are your 3 favorite bands?The music questions are a great opportunity to strike up conversation as well. ex "one of my favorite bands is Mindless self indulgence. I've actually seen them live a couple times & they give an awesome performance." Like I said the interviews at HotTopic are pretty laid back & fun, so just relax, be your self and smile. It is an interview so have fun but be somewhat professional (Don't cuss, wear drug related stuff, or mention how wasted you were a few nights before.) . Good Luck!

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting this question: "What is one thing we sell that you hate?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can not negotiate pay.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Dublin, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2010.

Interview Details – Most important: Can you add on to sales naturally? Do you ask open ended questions? How important is product knowledge? How do you handle customer objections? How important is greeting to you? Are you a self starter? How motivated are you?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is 0 negotiating. In the end I was not getting paid enough for all the responsibilities and expectations put on me. Also, after 3.5 years I only saw 1 raise and that was only from a promotion.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews. mostly my prior knowledge about pop culture and past manager expierience

Interview Question – something that was difficult and also challenging in my past employer job   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Unproffesional, Interviewer was late. Misrepresented the company and it's work environment entirely.

Negotiation Details – They were pretty unwilling to negotiate, and I accepted the job under the impression that there was room for advancement. That was untrue.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details – I printed my application online. When I came in to turn it in to a manager, who asked me a couple of questions about my interests in music, TV, and with "I think is in in pop culture right now." This is the initial interview. If you give bad answers they will just toss your application into a big folder. If you pass the manager schedules you second interview. When I went to that the main Branch Manager was on vacation so I interviewed with a different manager. As soon as we finished the interview, I was told I got the job and to expect a call the next day to be put on the schedule.

Interview Question – How do you discover new music?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, minimum wage.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Saratoga Springs, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2009.

Interview Details – By the book interview with two managers. They were very nice and easy to talk to. Very interested in my choice of clothes, hair style. Checked all my references before the interview. If you have in interview right before back to school season or Christmas you will definitely get the job. No drug test.

Interview Question – Same old why do you want to work here question you always get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation you either take the min. wage or you don't.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Question – To sell a imaginary product to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic