Hot Topic

2.2

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic in October 2013.

The interview process was professional but laid-back - dress requirements were casual, but clean. Management was genial and up-front and, while no-nonsense, not terribly demanding. Questions asked were relevant and on-point, without seeming too canned or corporate-drone. Props for being one of the most "human" interviews I've ever been through.

Interview Questions
    • "Can you tell me about a time when..." - I always have the most difficult time with these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hot Topic.

Unproffesional, Interviewer was late. Misrepresented the company and it's work environment entirely.

They were pretty unwilling to negotiate, and I accepted the job under the impression that there was room for advancement. That was untrue.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in August 2013.

The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Questions
    • What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hot Topic.

The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

I had a group interview. It was just me and one other person. The assistant manager took us out on a bench in the mall and asked us questions. It was very laid back.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just the typical retail questions you always get.   Answer Question
    No negotiation because I didn't have much experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Questions
    They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

I went to 1 group interview and was asked some basic questions. Who my favorite role model was, what I would do if I saw someone stealing, worst customer-service experience, etc. We showed up at the time and waited around the store until he took us out to the food court. We sat there and talked and answered questions. Didn't take very long. Was simple and easy. Didn't really pertain to sales though.

Interview Questions
    • Perhaps the worst customer service experience one was. I don't shop at other stores often, I buy online instead. Customer service is not something I have had many encounters with, so it was hard for me to find an example off the top of my head.   Answer Question
    Nothing was negotiable. I was hired on as seasonal at minimum wage. I am part time now but still minimum wage with no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic.

When I was interviewed I was told first thing that I was hired. The manager took me in the back and had a one on one interview with me. We mostly talked about music. It was the easiest and most awkward interview I had ever taken. This was five years ago and the manager was a really terrible person. He really didn't care. He was fired in less than a year. I do the hiring now and it is a longer process in which I get to know who I am letting into my work place to see if they work well with my team and the tasks at hand.

Interview Questions
    • I had to fill out one of those "what's right and wrong" question booklets. The ones that ask "if you put an item in your pocket without paying for it, is it consider stealing?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Everett, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hot Topic in May 2013.

Easy as pie. Must be in the right place at the right time though.
    easy interview must know current pop culture like Justin Bieber and Nikki Menaj. Must know your Anime.

Low pay and hours and the Manger seemed angry all the time.