Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Montgomery, AL) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was very simple and nice. I was asked my favorite bands, how I work with other people, and if I'm ok with dealing with not so wonderful people.

Interview Questions

• What people would describe me as.   2 Answers

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wesley Chapel, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic (Wesley Chapel, FL).

Interview

I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2014.

Interview

I always wanted to work there. Finally got an interview only to learn that I can only get about 10 hours a week due to the low payroll they use.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage under stress? And how do you rank yourself in selling?   1 Answer

Old navy offered me a lot more pay and more hours.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I had 3 interviews. One with a different store manager, one with the district manager and one with a regional director. They were each 30 to 40 minutes. Out of all, the store manager was the nicest. District manager and the regional manager asked me the same questions. interviews were all pretty easy and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What is the most recent cd you bought?   1 Answer

Pay was too low. I made more as an assistant manager at a different company with less responsibilities and more room for a promotion.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic in November 2013.

Interview

I really really wanted to get hired, but was afraid that I botched up, because I was so nervous, and because there was a lot of people interviewing today. For this interview, I dressed how I would dress if I worked there, except I went a little bit more "fashionable"? Anyways, smile, and be sure you know about pop culture, including video games. One of the questions, they ask me was "What would you recommend someone who played the Legend of Zelda?"

Interview Questions

• I think the most unexpected question was, "when you go shopping, do you go to shop, or do you talk to people?''   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic (Columbus, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

HotTopic is a place with little staff & they get a lot of applications. When applying, your best bet is to fill out an application on paper & bring it in a day you know a manager is working. This way you can make an impression & the manager has more a chance of viewing your application. Dress like you work there & be tasteful/fashionable when you turn it in. Don't forget to try to have a conversation with the manager you give it to. This shows you understand fashion, their style, & you're not afraid to converse with people & perhaps shows that you're knowledgeable in something they sell. After you get an interview it's pretty easy from there on. I was given 2 interviews. Most people are given a 2nd if they awesome in the first. Just because you didn't get a second does NOT mean you didn't get the job. The hiring process with interviews and reference checks can take from 1 to 4 weeks depending. I've never heard it take longer. During the interview it's pretty laid back & fun. Be upbeat, show that you have energy & smile. They will ask you a lot of basic interview questions: ex: what would you do if you saw someone stealing, a friend stealing, or an employee stealing? Why do you think you're perfect for this job? Why did you choose to apply here? What can you bring to this team? Other questions are different than what you may be used to. When asked some questions like "we sell a lot of different things here what do you think you're strong point would be?" tell them a list of everything you're knowledgeable in. ex: "I'm very knowledgeable in video games, womens fashion & music." Always try to add in a conversation starter. This is what they expect you to do with customers & it makes you look good. ex "I'm very knowledgeable in music & TV shows. I'm really excited for the new season of walking dead to start next week!" They might also ask you questions after you answer something pertaining to your answer, so do NOT make up what you are knowledgeable in. I don't think many people would, but I just wanted to throw that out there. A good example of a follow up question might be: You answer "I'm very knowledgeable in music and TV shows." then they might ask "what are you top 3 favorite bands and shows?" These questions are perfect ones to strike up a conversation with. During the interview I was asked, after dropping that I love comic books, if I preferred DC or Marvel. I told them "I'd have to say Marvel because I love batman but I'm a HUGE fan of spider-man and x-men!" The manager & I then talked for awhile about our favorite x-men During the interview they will ask you to sell them things They don't expect you to be perfect but to know the basics. They train you for a reason. Another thing they do is ask you to put together an outfit which can be a lot of fun. During the interview they want you to dress like you work there However, even if you are & they think the outfit you picked is perfect they still want to make sure you know the image they're trying to give. aside from having you put together an outfit they may ask "If it were your first day working here & you could pick anything in the store to wear what would you pick?" Another fashion question they may ask is what things might fit a certain style. ex: punk fashion would be band shirts, leather jackets, spike bracelets, combat boots, etc. Music is a HUGE part of HotTopic. They'll ask you music questions. ex: What types of music do you like? What are your 3 favorite bands?The music questions are a great opportunity to strike up conversation as well. ex "one of my favorite bands is Mindless self indulgence. I've actually seen them live a couple times & they give an awesome performance." Like I said the interviews at HotTopic are pretty laid back & fun, so just relax, be your self and smile. It is an interview so have fun but be somewhat professional (Don't cuss, wear drug related stuff, or mention how wasted you were a few nights before.) . Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting this question: "What is one thing we sell that you hate?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

You can not negotiate pay.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Annapolis, MD) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process was professional but laid-back - dress requirements were casual, but clean. Management was genial and up-front and, while no-nonsense, not terribly demanding. Questions asked were relevant and on-point, without seeming too canned or corporate-drone. Props for being one of the most "human" interviews I've ever been through.

Interview Questions

• "Can you tell me about a time when..." - I always have the most difficult time with these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Seasonal) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I turned in an application in person, i got an interview rather quickly from what I remember. The manager was extremely friendly. I was asked hypothetical work experience questions if i do remember correctly. I actually did a small amount of hands on work for the interview process, i greeted customers and things of that sort, (they were probably making sure i have an upbeat personality). She then asked about my previous work experience there was no 2nd interview, And i was told i got the job that same day! Loved working there.

Interview Questions

• Hands on, greeted customers, what was your previous work experience, why do you want to work for Hot Topic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic (Terre Haute, IN) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Questions

• What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.