Hot Topic

Getting the Interview

64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Got called for an interview a couple months after applying. Set up two interviews, both of which were very relaxed. Second one involved picking out an outfit for the manager.

Interview Question – Most are simple questions about your favorite music and how you keep up with pop culture. Nothing too hard.   View Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I turned an application in and about a week later they called to set up an interview. I showed up about ten minutes early and the manager was really friendly from the start. We walked to the nearby indoor Starbucks and talked about music, pop culture, retail experience, etc. She had to fill out a sheet which they recently got so she said she felt just as new to this experience as I did with that. After the interview I asked a few questions and she was pleased that I was interested. When we got back to the store I was asked to come back for a floor interview so they can see how I do. Overall, it was really relaxed and laid back. Easiest interview I've been to thus far.

Interview Question – Probably "if someone picks up a tshirt of (said band) what other shirts and bands would you recommend?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little to no negotiation, the job is minimum wage at first.

Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic in September 2008.

Interview Details – My interview was very positive. The management was friendly and informative. They honestly were interested in finding the best possible people for the job, asked plenty of questions and gave time for me to ask questions of my own.

Interview Question – Can you see a career at Hot Topic?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation. It was a minimum wage job at the mall.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
West Nyack, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – First interview was very casual, discussing career history, customer service philosophy, team building, accountability and loss prevention. Second interview was more indepth, discussing needs of this store's business, current team, past experiences with leading change to steer sales and loss prevention efforts... more of a "What will YOU do?"

Interview Question – What do you do when execution of action plans result in failure? What does the accountability look like?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Extremely low salary offer, that was said to be at the ceiling of the range... and at that rate, would not be elligible for merit increase regardless of review statements.

Fairview Heights, IL

I interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2008.

Interview Details – The process was very simple and straight forward. I submitted an application in January, and got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. I was interviewed along with about seven others. Questions were very simple, behavioral, "what would Yi do if someone stole this", etc. they also asked some fun questions, like what my favorite kind of music was.

Interview Question – What would you do if your friends stole merchandise?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, part time sales position.

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. Five people, including myself, were interviewed all together. The manager and the supervisor were there asking questions. Such as, "What was the last movie you've seen?", "Do you use sites like Youtube, Tumblr, and Facebook?", "What does good customer service mean to you?", "What's your favorite band?" and other such things. Most questions related to your knowledge on current pop culture.

Interview Question – What do you watch on Youtube?   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2011.

Interview Details – Basically, it was a group interview where they just asked us a lot of questions about the store, what kind of music we listen to, are we good working with people, do we know how to fold, and a few things about to customer service. It wasn't that hard, Just kind of intimidating when the manager asked us about our prior work experience because everyone had either high work experience, or just a better answer.

Interview Question – What kind of music do you listen to?   View Answer

Strongsville, OH

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in august even though they weren't hiring then, they called me mid November and asked if I was still interested and I said yes. A few days later I went in for the interview and the manager walked me to the food court. Along with basic interview questions they asked a few music related questions. Don't try to give the right answer or overly formal, just be yourself. They called me the next day and offered me the job

Interview Question – How do you learn about new music?   Answer Question

Third Key Holer Interview

Morrow, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was called by the District Manager over the phone. The interview only took about 10 minutes. She asked me about my past experiences in retail and what I am currently studying in school. It was not a stressful interview at all.

Interview Questions

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

Part Time Assistant Manager
Sioux City, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in September 2009.

Interview Details – My interview at Hot Topic was super easy. I was applying for the Assistant Manager position, part-time. The store had no full-time assistant, just two part-time because they did not make enough money. The person I was interviewing with was actually the assistant who I was going to be taking over for. His store manager was about to leave the company, and he was still interviewing for the store manager position. So the part-time assistant position that I was interviewing for was not even technically open yet, and would only be open if he was accepted as the store manager. He had no expierence with interviews before so it was very informal and relaxed. He just wanted to know mostly about if I could merchandise the store, because the three managers that would be left after their current store manager left were all men and did not merchandise very well. Besides that, he wanted to know that I would be able to be a manager and not my coworkers friend, and that I had some knowledge of music. He told me that even if I did not know 90% of the music that they carried, it did not matter because I could learn it over time, which was very reassuring.

After that, I had a phone interview with the district manager, which was super easy! She was very friendly and it lasted all of five minutes. She just wanted to know if I could merchandise, what kind of music I liked, and she also asked what I did in my spare time. I told her I read quite a bit and we actually talked more about what books we both liked and read recently than we did about the actual job for the short interview she gave me.

Interview Question – What type of music do you like? Are you willing to listen to different types of music or have a good knowledge of them to serve our customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Well there was no negotiation honestly. I was told before I even interviewed for the position that this certain amount was all that they were able to offer and if I would not accept that to not apply.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic