Hot Topic

Average Difficulty
78 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dublin, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2010.

Interview Details – Most important: Can you add on to sales naturally? Do you ask open ended questions? How important is product knowledge? How do you handle customer objections? How important is greeting to you? Are you a self starter? How motivated are you?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is 0 negotiating. In the end I was not getting paid enough for all the responsibilities and expectations put on me. Also, after 3.5 years I only saw 1 raise and that was only from a promotion.

San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews. mostly my prior knowledge about pop culture and past manager expierience

Interview Question – something that was difficult and also challenging in my past employer job   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Unproffesional, Interviewer was late. Misrepresented the company and it's work environment entirely.

Negotiation Details – They were pretty unwilling to negotiate, and I accepted the job under the impression that there was room for advancement. That was untrue.

Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details – I printed my application online. When I came in to turn it in to a manager, who asked me a couple of questions about my interests in music, TV, and with "I think is in in pop culture right now." This is the initial interview. If you give bad answers they will just toss your application into a big folder. If you pass the manager schedules you second interview. When I went to that the main Branch Manager was on vacation so I interviewed with a different manager. As soon as we finished the interview, I was told I got the job and to expect a call the next day to be put on the schedule.

Interview Question – How do you discover new music?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, minimum wage.

Saratoga Springs, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2009.

Interview Details – By the book interview with two managers. They were very nice and easy to talk to. Very interested in my choice of clothes, hair style. Checked all my references before the interview. If you have in interview right before back to school season or Christmas you will definitely get the job. No drug test.

Interview Question – Same old why do you want to work here question you always get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation you either take the min. wage or you don't.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2013.

Interview Details – Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Question – To sell a imaginary product to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Hot Topic Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I had a group interview. It was just me and one other person. The assistant manager took us out on a bench in the mall and asked us questions. It was very laid back.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just the typical retail questions you always get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because I didn't have much experience.

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online through an application form. It's recommended to go in the store and ask about the status of the application and be frequent. The interview was a simple affair, no more than a few minutes to discus basically whatever it is that you filled out in the application that they may have a problem with. Pass that and it's just a matter of persistence to get an answer about whether you'll be hired or not.

Interview Question – Are you able to come to work on time? Do you have your own form of reliable transportation? Do you have a problem with working night shifts or holidays?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask as many questions as you need to. Everything that you're not sure of, is open game. Clarify everything you say if you need to and ask for clarification of anything you don't understand.