Hot Topic

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2014.

Interview Details – I always wanted to work there. Finally got an interview only to learn that I can only get about 10 hours a week due to the low payroll they use.

Interview Question – How do you manage under stress? And how do you rank yourself in selling?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Old navy offered me a lot more pay and more hours.

Terre Haute, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Question – What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Tyler, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in April 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the store and asked if they ever have positions available. The store manager said yes and handed me an application. I filled it out right away and handed it back to her. I get a call about a week later asking if I could come in for an interview. At the interview I was asked what music I listened to, what bands I like, if I kept up with band news, and I knew off the top of my head what they sold at HT. I was really behind, but I told her I can pick up on it quick. I was myself and we actually talked about music for a good part of the interview. It almost didn't even feel like an interview!

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? / What will you bring to our team?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details – I printed my application online. When I came in to turn it in to a manager, who asked me a couple of questions about my interests in music, TV, and with "I think is in in pop culture right now." This is the initial interview. If you give bad answers they will just toss your application into a big folder. If you pass the manager schedules you second interview. When I went to that the main Branch Manager was on vacation so I interviewed with a different manager. As soon as we finished the interview, I was told I got the job and to expect a call the next day to be put on the schedule.

Interview Question – How do you discover new music?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, minimum wage.

Saratoga Springs, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2009.

Interview Details – By the book interview with two managers. They were very nice and easy to talk to. Very interested in my choice of clothes, hair style. Checked all my references before the interview. If you have in interview right before back to school season or Christmas you will definitely get the job. No drug test.

Interview Question – Same old why do you want to work here question you always get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation you either take the min. wage or you don't.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – I had a group interview. It was just me and one other person. The assistant manager took us out on a bench in the mall and asked us questions. It was very laid back.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just the typical retail questions you always get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because I didn't have much experience.

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – When I was interviewed I was told first thing that I was hired. The manager took me in the back and had a one on one interview with me. We mostly talked about music. It was the easiest and most awkward interview I had ever taken. This was five years ago and the manager was a really terrible person. He really didn't care. He was fired in less than a year. I do the hiring now and it is a longer process in which I get to know who I am letting into my work place to see if they work well with my team and the tasks at hand.

Interview Question – I had to fill out one of those "what's right and wrong" question booklets. The ones that ask "if you put an item in your pocket without paying for it, is it consider stealing?"   Answer Question

Fairview Heights, IL

I interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2008.

Interview Details – The process was very simple and straight forward. I submitted an application in January, and got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. I was interviewed along with about seven others. Questions were very simple, behavioral, "what would Yi do if someone stole this", etc. they also asked some fun questions, like what my favorite kind of music was.

Interview Question – What would you do if your friends stole merchandise?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, part time sales position.

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. Five people, including myself, were interviewed all together. The manager and the supervisor were there asking questions. Such as, "What was the last movie you've seen?", "Do you use sites like Youtube, Tumblr, and Facebook?", "What does good customer service mean to you?", "What's your favorite band?" and other such things. Most questions related to your knowledge on current pop culture.

Interview Question – What do you watch on Youtube?   Answer Question

Strongsville, OH

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in august even though they weren't hiring then, they called me mid November and asked if I was still interested and I said yes. A few days later I went in for the interview and the manager walked me to the food court. Along with basic interview questions they asked a few music related questions. Don't try to give the right answer or overly formal, just be yourself. They called me the next day and offered me the job

Interview Question – How do you learn about new music?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees and interview candidates.