Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Bloomington, MN).

Interview

When I handed in my application and resume, I was interviewed on the spot. I wasn't expecting to do so. I advise you to be prepared just in case. I was then asked to come back and do a second interview. They asked general questions as well as questions involving my knowledge with the company's product. My manager at my location asks a specific question "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?" I answered correctly obviously. I don't understand how anyone looking for a job would answer differently. But I was informed that I would be surprised on how many people they get who choose the latter.

Interview Questions

• "If you are planned to work and did not request a certain day off, and your favorite band was in town for a concert that day would you work or go to the concert?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hot Topic (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

It was pretty easy, the whole process from interview to start date was about two weeks. Just go in confident and friendly and it's easy. The interviewer was really great and walking up to her I basically acted as if we had been friends for a while and we hit it off nicely.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in March 2015.

Interview

After setting up an interview, I met with the Store Manager and we sat out in the mall for the interview. She asked me a few questions regarding current music and pop culture and even asked about my favorite music and pop culture franchises. After a couple days I received a phone call from the Store Manager offering me a position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online then got called a few weeks later to come in the next day for an interview. The interview was short (about 15 minutes). She asked really easy questions, asked me about my availability then offered me the job on the spot!

Interview Questions

• What kind of music do you listen to?
      What shows are you currently watching?
      Tell about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it.
      What previous sales experience I had,

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The process took about two weeks and i applied in.store and asked to speak to the hiring manager and got called back for an interview a week later and back for another interview it was a pretty easy interview they just want to know how familiar you are with their merchandise

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hot Topic (Savannah, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

I went to my local Hot Topic and talked to the manager, I asked if they were hiring. He said yes and that i should go online and print and fill out an application. I returned to the store turned in my application the manager asked me some quick questions about my application and scheduling then asked me if I could come in for an interview in 2 days. This was my first ever interview and it was pretty relaxed and not as bad as i expected. The manager and I talked and got along pretty well. I am currently waiting to hear back on whether or not i got the job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pick two items from the store, one I really liked and another that i did not like at all, the manager then asked me to try and sell the items to her.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Hot Topic in October 2014.

Interview

Easy process, manager asks you basic questions like is this your first job even though they have your resume right in their hands. What type of music do you like,

Anonymous Employee in Antioch, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hot Topic (Antioch, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The process was pretty fast. I applied online to my nearest Hot Topic and i was called within 5 days for an interview. The interview was a group interview, which they had not informed me of. There was three of us. The interview was easy and they asked basic questions about favorite music bands, favorite movies, past job experience, personal hobbies, etc. The hardest part was trying to get in talking because one of the other people just wouldnt stop and he would cut us off.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, OH

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hot Topic (Springdale, OH) in July 2014.

Interview

Usually it goes by making an impression on the managers, especially the store manager, before applying or even asking for an application. The more I came into the store the more they noticed me, and saw how I was as a customer and my passion/knowledge for the pop-culture and music themes they had going on in the store. As people might think that you need a lot of music knowledge, it's not as intense as you think. As long as you are aware of what Hot Topic is as a fan base it's pretty straight forward. As for the interview itself, just be yourself to an extent. Be polite and honest with your interviewer. it's all about how approachable and outgoing you can be as an employee to engage in possible sales and conversations with a customer, rather than your over all knowledge of the products. I learned more about the more current mainstream metal scene in the 3 months I worked there than I did before I was hired on.

Interview Questions

• Is it really hard to get chosen to be hired with so many applications that are turned in on almost a weekly basis?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Interview

Printed the application online and filled out as much as possible and took it in store. Wasn't expecting to immediately get an interview, but I was asked a few general questions and then told I had an interview in a week! Both took place in store. The first interview I was asked some pretty vague questions and that's what made them hard to answer, but the more personal questions were the easiest. They basically want to make sure you will know what to do if someone is stealing and that you have selling skills to sell as much merchandise as possible. After about twenty minutes of questions I was asked to pick out an outfit for a customer without knowing anything about them in less than 4 minutes, then give an explanation for the clothes I picked. After that I was told my 2nd interview was in another week. It wasn't very difficult, I was just nervous and they were really busy so you've got to stay focused. The 2nd one was even more pleasant, I was asked more personal questions to get to know me, and asked generally "why should we pick you" questions. I really like the team and it was a fun and positive experience. The bad news is that if I am lucky enough to be one of the people they choose, they won't be hiring for at least a month and it will be seasonal. Still, I'm excitedly waiting to hear back with fingers crossed that I'll get the job!

Interview Questions

• An unexpected question was "What inspires your personal fashion?" and the hardest was "What merchandise will be the most difficult for you to sell?"   Answer Question