Hot Topic

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was extremely informal and was really a test of if you are hip and know pop culture. The first interview is a group interview, so be prepared. They most certainly are looking for teenagers and young adults to fill their positions. I'm in my twenties and lost out to a bunch of high school kids that looked very new to the interview process. Wear the product, know the product, and act young and hip and you should be fine.

Interview Question – What is the worse retail experience you've ever had?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

Interview Details – Saw a sign saying the store was hiring so I went in and the manager printed out an application for me. I filled it out and returned it same-day, and immediately was able to schedule for an interview 2 days later. Took 2 weeks to get a call-back for a group interview. The group interview consisted of being in the store & greeting customers for ~30 minutes with 3 other people in my int. group. About a week & a half later, the manager called asking me to come in a couple days later to talk about my availability. First shift was a few days later. The one on one interview was very casual, with a lot of standard corporate-made questions. Group interview was easy as well.

Interview Question – Worst/Best customer service you've received   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Interview Details – Printed the application online and filled out as much as possible and took it in store. Wasn't expecting to immediately get an interview, but I was asked a few general questions and then told I had an interview in a week! Both took place in store. The first interview I was asked some pretty vague questions and that's what made them hard to answer, but the more personal questions were the easiest. They basically want to make sure you will know what to do if someone is stealing and that you have selling skills to sell as much merchandise as possible. After about twenty minutes of questions I was asked to pick out an outfit for a customer without knowing anything about them in less than 4 minutes, then give an explanation for the clothes I picked. After that I was told my 2nd interview was in another week. It wasn't very difficult, I was just nervous and they were really busy so you've got to stay focused. The 2nd one was even more pleasant, I was asked more personal questions to get to know me, and asked generally "why should we pick you" questions. I really like the team and it was a fun and positive experience. The bad news is that if I am lucky enough to be one of the people they choose, they won't be hiring for at least a month and it will be seasonal. Still, I'm excitedly waiting to hear back with fingers crossed that I'll get the job!

Interview Question – An unexpected question was "What inspires your personal fashion?" and the hardest was "What merchandise will be the most difficult for you to sell?"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Montgomery, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was very simple and nice. I was asked my favorite bands, how I work with other people, and if I'm ok with dealing with not so wonderful people.

Interview Question – What people would describe me as.   View Answers (2)

Florence, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in January 2010.

Interview Details – The manager scheduled an interview with me soon after I put in an application. I showed up and we just found an empty bench in the mall and talked. She asked a few questions about my favorite movies and bands (to make sure I'd namedrop things they sell in the store). She didn't ask much about my previous retail experience or long-term plans or anything. It was mostly about my knowledge of popular media and my ability to push the product.

Interview Question – Many questions were designed to test my knowledge of current mainstream trends.   View Answer

Minneapolis, MN

Interviewed at Hot Topic

Interview Details – it was really easy, just asked what music i listen to

Interview Question – how would you sell denim   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2014.

Interview Details – I always wanted to work there. Finally got an interview only to learn that I can only get about 10 hours a week due to the low payroll they use.

Interview Question – How do you manage under stress? And how do you rank yourself in selling?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Old navy offered me a lot more pay and more hours.

Terre Haute, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Question – What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Tyler, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in April 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the store and asked if they ever have positions available. The store manager said yes and handed me an application. I filled it out right away and handed it back to her. I get a call about a week later asking if I could come in for an interview. At the interview I was asked what music I listened to, what bands I like, if I kept up with band news, and I knew off the top of my head what they sold at HT. I was really behind, but I told her I can pick up on it quick. I was myself and we actually talked about music for a good part of the interview. It almost didn't even feel like an interview!

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? / What will you bring to our team?   View Answer

Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details – I printed my application online. When I came in to turn it in to a manager, who asked me a couple of questions about my interests in music, TV, and with "I think is in in pop culture right now." This is the initial interview. If you give bad answers they will just toss your application into a big folder. If you pass the manager schedules you second interview. When I went to that the main Branch Manager was on vacation so I interviewed with a different manager. As soon as we finished the interview, I was told I got the job and to expect a call the next day to be put on the schedule.

Interview Question – How do you discover new music?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, minimum wage.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!