Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.1

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springdale, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springdale, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2014.

Usually it goes by making an impression on the managers, especially the store manager, before applying or even asking for an application. The more I came into the store the more they noticed me, and saw how I was as a customer and my passion/knowledge for the pop-culture and music themes they had going on in the store. As people might think that you need a lot of music knowledge, it's not as intense as you think. As long as you are aware of what Hot Topic is as a fan base it's pretty straight forward. As for the interview itself, just be yourself to an extent. Be polite and honest with your interviewer. it's all about how approachable and outgoing you can be as an employee to engage in possible sales and conversations with a customer, rather than your over all knowledge of the products. I learned more about the more current mainstream metal scene in the 3 months I worked there than I did before I was hired on.

Interview Questions
  • Is it really hard to get chosen to be hired with so many applications that are turned in on almost a weekly basis?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Antioch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Hot Topic in September 2014.

The process was pretty fast. I applied online to my nearest Hot Topic and i was called within 5 days for an interview. The interview was a group interview, which they had not informed me of. There was three of us. The interview was easy and they asked basic questions about favorite music bands, favorite movies, past job experience, personal hobbies, etc. The hardest part was trying to get in talking because one of the other people just wouldnt stop and he would cut us off.

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

The interview was extremely informal and was really a test of if you are hip and know pop culture. The first interview is a group interview, so be prepared. They most certainly are looking for teenagers and young adults to fill their positions. I'm in my twenties and lost out to a bunch of high school kids that looked very new to the interview process. Wear the product, know the product, and act young and hip and you should be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Saw a sign saying the store was hiring so I went in and the manager printed out an application for me. I filled it out and returned it same-day, and immediately was able to schedule for an interview 2 days later. Took 2 weeks to get a call-back for a group interview. The group interview consisted of being in the store & greeting customers for ~30 minutes with 3 other people in my int. group. About a week & a half later, the manager called asking me to come in a couple days later to talk about my availability. First shift was a few days later. The one on one interview was very casual, with a lot of standard corporate-made questions. Group interview was easy as well.

No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2014.

Printed the application online and filled out as much as possible and took it in store. Wasn't expecting to immediately get an interview, but I was asked a few general questions and then told I had an interview in a week! Both took place in store. The first interview I was asked some pretty vague questions and that's what made them hard to answer, but the more personal questions were the easiest. They basically want to make sure you will know what to do if someone is stealing and that you have selling skills to sell as much merchandise as possible. After about twenty minutes of questions I was asked to pick out an outfit for a customer without knowing anything about them in less than 4 minutes, then give an explanation for the clothes I picked. After that I was told my 2nd interview was in another week. It wasn't very difficult, I was just nervous and they were really busy so you've got to stay focused. The 2nd one was even more pleasant, I was asked more personal questions to get to know me, and asked generally "why should we pick you" questions. I really like the team and it was a fun and positive experience. The bad news is that if I am lucky enough to be one of the people they choose, they won't be hiring for at least a month and it will be seasonal. Still, I'm excitedly waiting to hear back with fingers crossed that I'll get the job!

Interview Questions
    • An unexpected question was "What inspires your personal fashion?" and the hardest was "What merchandise will be the most difficult for you to sell?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montgomery, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomery, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2014.

The interview was very simple and nice. I was asked my favorite bands, how I work with other people, and if I'm ok with dealing with not so wonderful people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Florence, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in January 2010.

The manager scheduled an interview with me soon after I put in an application. I showed up and we just found an empty bench in the mall and talked. She asked a few questions about my favorite movies and bands (to make sure I'd namedrop things they sell in the store). She didn't ask much about my previous retail experience or long-term plans or anything. It was mostly about my knowledge of popular media and my ability to push the product.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions were designed to test my knowledge of current mainstream trends.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

it was really easy, just asked what music i listen to

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2014.

I always wanted to work there. Finally got an interview only to learn that I can only get about 10 hours a week due to the low payroll they use.

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage under stress? And how do you rank yourself in selling?   View Answer

Old navy offered me a lot more pay and more hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2013.

The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Questions
    • What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!