Hot Topic

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Three interviews, two with district manager, and one with regional manager. Overall easy process, skype and phone interviews. Lots of details about job description and goals for location. Annual visits and one on ones are frequent. During skype interviewing they are looking for your reaction to certain questions and workload related descriptions.

Interview Question – What is the difference between selling and customer service? Do you like when someone tries to sell you something? What kind of leader are you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – look into cost of living, make sure to get a fair rate for location and volume especially if you have experience.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Unproffesional, Interviewer was late. Misrepresented the company and it's work environment entirely.

Negotiation Details – They were pretty unwilling to negotiate, and I accepted the job under the impression that there was room for advancement. That was untrue.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Question – Examples of best and worst customer service   View Answer

West Nyack, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details – First interview was very casual, discussing career history, customer service philosophy, team building, accountability and loss prevention. Second interview was more indepth, discussing needs of this store's business, current team, past experiences with leading change to steer sales and loss prevention efforts... more of a "What will YOU do?"

Interview Question – What do you do when execution of action plans result in failure? What does the accountability look like?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Extremely low salary offer, that was said to be at the ceiling of the range... and at that rate, would not be elligible for merit increase regardless of review statements.

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

Interview Details – was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Question – how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay

Store Manager

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for a Store Manager position with the company. I have been a DM in my last position and really wanted to take a job that would allow me to not travel and take more classes as I pursue my degree. The DM who interviewed me did not follow the 80/20 rule. He completely talked to me for an hour about how he has impacted the company with his skill set and recruiting talent. I respect the fact that he has the ability to choose top talent that will affect the overall performance of the store and district but I was surprised that he did not inquire more about MY experience. He asked me 4 questions total. I was completely thrown off. I don't know if it went this way due to the fact I have been a DM too (?) I was asked to then meet with the RD but declined based on our conversation. I was disappointed because I have a friend who has been a DM for Hot Topic for 2 years and said I would love the company, culture, and music. Still would be open to working for the company 100% just not with this particular person. I don't think he could have helped me to learn and grow within that position and I don't think I would have respected him as my supervisor.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you recruited someone.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees and interview candidates.