Hot Topic Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Houston, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Very casual interview with DM at a coffee place. Took about an hour. Discussed prior work, education, achievements, interests and how I could contribute to the company. Second interview with regional manager was the same.

Interview Questions

• If you could write an advice book with 3 chapters to an employee looking to further their career, what would the chapters be titled?   Answer Question
  • What are your strengths and opportunities?   Answer Question
  • What was the volume and shrink at your previous retailer?   Answer Question
  • How can you apply your experiences and knowledge to this store in order to help it grow?   Answer Question
  • What makes you the best candidate for the position and why you will succeed?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were short and handled fast. Counter offered twice in less than a day and came to an agreement.

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Three interviews, two with district manager, and one with regional manager. Overall easy process, skype and phone interviews. Lots of details about job description and goals for location. Annual visits and one on ones are frequent. During skype interviewing they are looking for your reaction to certain questions and workload related descriptions.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between selling and customer service? Do you like when someone tries to sell you something? What kind of leader are you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

look into cost of living, make sure to get a fair rate for location and volume especially if you have experience.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Questions

• Examples of best and worst customer service   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in January 2013.

Interview

I was recruited by a district manager, mostly because of my extensive experience in the field. I did a phone interview, and a personal interview. The interview itself was pretty standard, it was more about getting to know me....because my resume showed how experienced I was.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was made an offer which I rejected and counter offered. They accepted.

Anonymous Employee in West Nyack, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (West Nyack, NY).

Interview

First interview was very casual, discussing career history, customer service philosophy, team building, accountability and loss prevention. Second interview was more indepth, discussing needs of this store's business, current team, past experiences with leading change to steer sales and loss prevention efforts... more of a "What will YOU do?"

Interview Questions

• What do you do when execution of action plans result in failure? What does the accountability look like?   Answer Question

Extremely low salary offer, that was said to be at the ceiling of the range... and at that rate, would not be elligible for merit increase regardless of review statements.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

Interview

was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Questions

• how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

pay

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2010.

Interview

I applied for a Store Manager position with the company. I have been a DM in my last position and really wanted to take a job that would allow me to not travel and take more classes as I pursue my degree. The DM who interviewed me did not follow the 80/20 rule. He completely talked to me for an hour about how he has impacted the company with his skill set and recruiting talent. I respect the fact that he has the ability to choose top talent that will affect the overall performance of the store and district but I was surprised that he did not inquire more about MY experience. He asked me 4 questions total. I was completely thrown off. I don't know if it went this way due to the fact I have been a DM too (?) I was asked to then meet with the RD but declined based on our conversation. I was disappointed because I have a friend who has been a DM for Hot Topic for 2 years and said I would love the company, culture, and music. Still would be open to working for the company 100% just not with this particular person. I don't think he could have helped me to learn and grow within that position and I don't think I would have respected him as my supervisor.