Hotwire Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

4 rounds. 3 of the interviewers are nice except one. They ask all kinds of normal interview questions, plus the problems that are closely related with their work. Basically you just sit down in the meeting room, and you get interviewed by four interviewers individually. The HR will talk about the compensation and your expectation at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer gave a question regarding the boxing/unboxing. That is, the data member of the class is the basic 'int' type, not initialized, and they return it back in a method with return type 'Integer'. The answer should be '0' even if the data member is not initialized   Answer Question

Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I received an email to set up a phone interview with their recruiter. Happened a week later, she was extremely nice. She asked me questions that were pretty broad, just to feel out my expectations & personality. She then set up an appointment for a phone interview with the Director of Accounting. That happened about a week later, she was also extremely nice--speaking with her was a lot more technical. My final interview was onsite, it consisted of the team & recruiter individually, it was fairly technical to see if I actually knew what was on my resume, & to see how my personality is in person. They really just want people that want to be at Hotwire, that have a good attitude & want to work.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too out of the ordinary. A lot of questions regarding learning situations with past/current employers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Quick & painless.

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was OK. It was kind of a hard sell.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was okay.

UNIX Manager, Hotwire Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

August 13, 2012 I applied for the UNIX Manager position in San Francisco. I found the following weeks to be rather disorganized.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked me by a technical member of the team had absolutely nothing to do with UNIX or Oracle. I was asked to explain in-depth how the physical mappings of memory inside a server. I still have no idea why anyone would ask a manager this questions..   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via email by the recruiter for a phone screening - We'd set the time at 2PM on a Wed. She called me that Monday at 9AM - I wasn't ready to talk to her - and I told her we'd setup a time on Wed. She apologized and said she'd gotten confused. Tuesday at 2PM - I'm in the car- she calls me again. I tell her once more, that we're meeting on Wed. She apologizes again. Finally we connect and she passes me to the hiring manager. I talk to the hiring manager and they tell me they'll let me know next steps in about 2 weeks. I get an email 3 weeks later telling me the recruiter is going on vacation and her manager will follow up with me about next steps. The next week I ping him a couple of times and he doesn't have any information. Then on Friday he sets up a call with me for 3 PM Monday for 30 minutes. That morning he moves the time to 3:30 - 4. Fine. At 3:30, I wait,and wait and wait. At 3:40 I get an email saying he'll be late. At 3:55 he calls me, asks if I can still meet. I say yes, and he tells me they don't want to move forward. Great, they just wasted my time for a 2 sentence email or a 3 minute call - and strung this out to over a month.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me for this position and I was thereafter contacted by someone from the marketing team. They then called and we spoke for about a half hour concerning the normal background questions - why am I interested, what applicable skills do I have for the position, why Hotwire, etc. I then got called in for an in-person interview about a week later with four people separately for about a half hour each. I read the reviews on here so I studied hard - history of Hotwire, potential brain-teasers they could give me, specific examples of my work that apply to the position, where I could improve etc. The majority of this was NOT covered during the interview! The same people basically asked me the same questions over and over - background, skills, interests. Not even an in-depth question about technical skills for an analyst position. The company seems solid and organized but I have heard that morale is low. I would have loved to work there, but c'est la vie!

Interview Questions

• Do you know what V Lookup is?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you needed information from someone and they would not give it to you - and what you did to get it from them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

HR did technical interview, difference between Abstract class and interface, Design patterns

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

An external recruiting firm scheduled a full day of interviews at different time slots. I was in a group of 6 people who rotated between 4 interviewers. I found them friendly and efficient.

Interview Questions

• If we were a competing company that lists discounts on hotels how would you set up a landing page?   Answer Question
    • A lot of JQuery questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Unix & Storage Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Hotwire has one of the most efficient interviewing processes I've encountered. I applied 4 weeks ago to an ad of their's on dice.com and hoped to at least get noticed. I got email contact from their HR/Recruiter, and set up an initial phone screen with him 2 weeks ago. My first phone screen went very well, and I was invited to do a phone screen with the hiring manager 3 days later. The second phone screen went well in parts, I felt, not so well in others, but ended on a good and enthusiastic note. I was really surprised when I heard less than 2 hours later that the interview did go well, and that I was going to be interviewed onsite in the coming week. The in-person interview was with the hiring manager, 2 other support managers & their vp of operations. Each interviewer had a pre-ordained, specific question set: technical questions, situational ones, mental twisters (yes, this is a company related to the Microsoft world) and soft skills ones. I found the interviewers engaging, focused on making the best of the moment. Their questions were fair and thought provoking. After the 4 interviewers were done, I returned to the HR/Recruiter who let me know the followup and notification process: that this was the 1 in person interview for the chosen candidates; that I was the last candidate being interviewed; and that I would be notified of the results by the end of the next day. True to their word I received an email from the recruiter the next afternoon asking for a time when I would be available to talk. He called me later that afternoon, thanked me very much for my time and stated that an offer had been extended to another candidate. I thanked him for being totally up front and professional, as well as respectful of my time and committments. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get the job, but was truly impressed with the corporate culture of hotwire. This was the most professional, yet humble, interviewing cycle I've been through in some time, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for this company.

Facilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

The process was a smooth! The personality part was the best part of the interview! The team here at the San Francisco office made the transition smooth and painless. I thought I was one of the family, It was the first week!