Hotwire Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2014

3.1

Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in April 2013.

I received an email to set up a phone interview with their recruiter. Happened a week later, she was extremely nice. She asked me questions that were pretty broad, just to feel out my expectations & personality. She then set up an appointment for a phone interview with the Director of Accounting. That happened about a week later, she was also extremely nice--speaking with her was a lot more technical. My final interview was onsite, it consisted of the team & recruiter individually, it was fairly technical to see if I actually knew what was on my resume, & to see how my personality is in person. They really just want people that want to be at Hotwire, that have a good attitude & want to work.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. A lot of questions regarding learning situations with past/current employers.   Answer Question
    Quick & painless.

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire.

It was OK. It was kind of a hard sell.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation phase was okay.

UNIX Manager, Hotwire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in August 2012.

August 13, 2012 I applied for the UNIX Manager position in San Francisco. I found the following weeks to be rather disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked me by a technical member of the team had absolutely nothing to do with UNIX or Oracle. I was asked to explain in-depth how the physical mappings of memory inside a server. I still have no idea why anyone would ask a manager this questions..   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in February 2012.

A recruiter contacted me for this position and I was thereafter contacted by someone from the marketing team. They then called and we spoke for about a half hour concerning the normal background questions - why am I interested, what applicable skills do I have for the position, why Hotwire, etc.

I then got called in for an in-person interview about a week later with four people separately for about a half hour each. I read the reviews on here so I studied hard - history of Hotwire, potential brain-teasers they could give me, specific examples of my work that apply to the position, where I could improve etc.

The majority of this was NOT covered during the interview! The same people basically asked me the same questions over and over - background, skills, interests. Not even an in-depth question about technical skills for an analyst position.

The company seems solid and organized but I have heard that morale is low. I would have loved to work there, but c'est la vie!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what V Lookup is?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you needed information from someone and they would not give it to you - and what you did to get it from them.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in March 2012.

I was contacted via email by the recruiter for a phone screening - We'd set the time at 2PM on a Wed. She called me that Monday at 9AM - I wasn't ready to talk to her - and I told her we'd setup a time on Wed. She apologized and said she'd gotten confused.

Tuesday at 2PM - I'm in the car- she calls me again. I tell her once more, that we're meeting on Wed. She apologizes again. Finally we connect and she passes me to the hiring manager.

I talk to the hiring manager and they tell me they'll let me know next steps in about 2 weeks. I get an email 3 weeks later telling me the recruiter is going on vacation and her manager will follow up with me about next steps.

The next week I ping him a couple of times and he doesn't have any information. Then on Friday he sets up a call with me for 3 PM Monday for 30 minutes.

That morning he moves the time to 3:30 - 4. Fine.

At 3:30, I wait,and wait and wait. At 3:40 I get an email saying he'll be late. At 3:55 he calls me, asks if I can still meet. I say yes, and he tells me they don't want to move forward.

Great, they just wasted my time for a 2 sentence email or a 3 minute call - and strung this out to over a month.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in February 2012.

HR did technical interview, difference between Abstract class and interface, Design patterns

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hotwire in April 2010.

phone interviews followed by 2-3 hours of in person interviews with team

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hotwire in March 2011.

The hiring process was very straightforward. One of the interviewers asked to solve a specific problem and wanted to hear your thought process and problem solving skills. Other interviewers were your basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most challenging design project and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    Tough. They won't budge much on salary. Really. And they will lure you in with the travel benefits, which really, there's not a whole lot or enough to outweigh the low salary.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hotwire in November 2009.

It took around 10 interviews to get to Hotwire. Overall very good experience - friendly interviewers, professional questions, prompt feedback and guidance for the next step, etc. Some interviews looked like a friendly chat, rather than a job interview, but I assume it worked ok to build a perception. Anyway, I'm glad I made it!

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hotwire in October 2011.

An external recruiting firm scheduled a full day of interviews at different time slots. I was in a group of 6 people who rotated between 4 interviewers. I found them friendly and efficient.

Interview Questions
    • If we were a competing company that lists discounts on hotels how would you set up a landing page?   Answer Question
    • A lot of JQuery questions.   Answer Question