Hotwire

Updated Jun 16, 2014

3.1

UNIX Manager, Hotwire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire in August 2012.

August 13, 2012 I applied for the UNIX Manager position in San Francisco. I found the following weeks to be rather disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked me by a technical member of the team had absolutely nothing to do with UNIX or Oracle. I was asked to explain in-depth how the physical mappings of memory inside a server. I still have no idea why anyone would ask a manager this questions..   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire in March 2012.

I was contacted via email by the recruiter for a phone screening - We'd set the time at 2PM on a Wed. She called me that Monday at 9AM - I wasn't ready to talk to her - and I told her we'd setup a time on Wed. She apologized and said she'd gotten confused.

Tuesday at 2PM - I'm in the car- she calls me again. I tell her once more, that we're meeting on Wed. She apologizes again. Finally we connect and she passes me to the hiring manager.

I talk to the hiring manager and they tell me they'll let me know next steps in about 2 weeks. I get an email 3 weeks later telling me the recruiter is going on vacation and her manager will follow up with me about next steps.

The next week I ping him a couple of times and he doesn't have any information. Then on Friday he sets up a call with me for 3 PM Monday for 30 minutes.

That morning he moves the time to 3:30 - 4. Fine.

At 3:30, I wait,and wait and wait. At 3:40 I get an email saying he'll be late. At 3:55 he calls me, asks if I can still meet. I say yes, and he tells me they don't want to move forward.

Great, they just wasted my time for a 2 sentence email or a 3 minute call - and strung this out to over a month.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire in February 2012.

A recruiter contacted me for this position and I was thereafter contacted by someone from the marketing team. They then called and we spoke for about a half hour concerning the normal background questions - why am I interested, what applicable skills do I have for the position, why Hotwire, etc.

I then got called in for an in-person interview about a week later with four people separately for about a half hour each. I read the reviews on here so I studied hard - history of Hotwire, potential brain-teasers they could give me, specific examples of my work that apply to the position, where I could improve etc.

The majority of this was NOT covered during the interview! The same people basically asked me the same questions over and over - background, skills, interests. Not even an in-depth question about technical skills for an analyst position.

The company seems solid and organized but I have heard that morale is low. I would have loved to work there, but c'est la vie!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what V Lookup is?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you needed information from someone and they would not give it to you - and what you did to get it from them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire in February 2012.

HR did technical interview, difference between Abstract class and interface, Design patterns

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hotwire in October 2011.

An external recruiting firm scheduled a full day of interviews at different time slots. I was in a group of 6 people who rotated between 4 interviewers. I found them friendly and efficient.

Interview Questions
    • If we were a competing company that lists discounts on hotels how would you set up a landing page?   Answer Question
    • A lot of JQuery questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Unix & Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire in October 2011.

Hotwire has one of the most efficient interviewing processes I've encountered. I applied 4 weeks ago to an ad of their's on dice.com and hoped to at least get noticed. I got email contact from their HR/Recruiter, and set up an initial phone screen with him 2 weeks ago. My first phone screen went very well, and I was invited to do a phone screen with the hiring manager 3 days later. The second phone screen went well in parts, I felt, not so well in others, but ended on a good and enthusiastic note. I was really surprised when I heard less than 2 hours later that the interview did go well, and that I was going to be interviewed onsite in the coming week. The in-person interview was with the hiring manager, 2 other support managers & their vp of operations. Each interviewer had a pre-ordained, specific question set: technical questions, situational ones, mental twisters (yes, this is a company related to the Microsoft world) and soft skills ones.
    I found the interviewers engaging, focused on making the best of the moment. Their questions were fair and thought provoking.

After the 4 interviewers were done, I returned to the HR/Recruiter who let me know the followup and notification process: that this was the 1 in person interview for the chosen candidates; that I was the last candidate being interviewed; and that I would be notified of the results by the end of the next day. True to their word I received an email from the recruiter the next afternoon asking for a time when I would be available to talk. He called me later that afternoon, thanked me very much for my time and stated that an offer had been extended to another candidate. I thanked him for being totally up front and professional, as well as respectful of my time and committments. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get the job, but was truly impressed with the corporate culture of hotwire. This was the most professional, yet humble, interviewing cycle I've been through in some time, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for this company.

Facilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hotwire in April 2011.

The process was a smooth! The personality part was the best part of the interview! The team here at the San Francisco office made the transition smooth and painless. I thought I was one of the family, It was the first week!

Online Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hotwire in March 2011.

Extremely friendly HR person. Basic personal questions and asked questions about if I am a more analytical person, and how my work experience or school experience has helped me analytically. Asked what salary I would be looking for.

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hotwire in March 2011.

The hiring process was very straightforward. One of the interviewers asked to solve a specific problem and wanted to hear your thought process and problem solving skills. Other interviewers were your basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most challenging design project and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    Tough. They won't budge much on salary. Really. And they will lure you in with the travel benefits, which really, there's not a whole lot or enough to outweigh the low salary.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hotwire in January 2011.

Start with phone contact with a recruiter. Then it goes to a phone interview with an engineer. From there it's an onsite interview with 5 people. I had 3 managers and 2 engineers.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the interviews difficult or had any unexpected questions. The questions asked pertained to my experience and some technical problem solving questions.   Answer Question