Hotwire

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager, Unix & Storage Interview

Manager, Unix & Storage
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in October 2011.

Interview Details – Hotwire has one of the most efficient interviewing processes I've encountered. I applied 4 weeks ago to an ad of their's on dice.com and hoped to at least get noticed. I got email contact from their HR/Recruiter, and set up an initial phone screen with him 2 weeks ago. My first phone screen went very well, and I was invited to do a phone screen with the hiring manager 3 days later. The second phone screen went well in parts, I felt, not so well in others, but ended on a good and enthusiastic note. I was really surprised when I heard less than 2 hours later that the interview did go well, and that I was going to be interviewed onsite in the coming week. The in-person interview was with the hiring manager, 2 other support managers & their vp of operations. Each interviewer had a pre-ordained, specific question set: technical questions, situational ones, mental twisters (yes, this is a company related to the Microsoft world) and soft skills ones.
I found the interviewers engaging, focused on making the best of the moment. Their questions were fair and thought provoking.

After the 4 interviewers were done, I returned to the HR/Recruiter who let me know the followup and notification process: that this was the 1 in person interview for the chosen candidates; that I was the last candidate being interviewed; and that I would be notified of the results by the end of the next day. True to their word I received an email from the recruiter the next afternoon asking for a time when I would be available to talk. He called me later that afternoon, thanked me very much for my time and stated that an offer had been extended to another candidate. I thanked him for being totally up front and professional, as well as respectful of my time and committments. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get the job, but was truly impressed with the corporate culture of hotwire. This was the most professional, yet humble, interviewing cycle I've been through in some time, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for this company.

Interview Question – Brain teasers & math questions.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Analyst Interview

Online Marketing Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hotwire in March 2011.

Interview Details – Extremely friendly HR person. Basic personal questions and asked questions about if I am a more analytical person, and how my work experience or school experience has helped me analytically. Asked what salary I would be looking for.

Interview Question – How familiar are you with Excel?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in October 2010.

Interview Details – The most straight forward process I've every worked with, most people asked job related questions, were professional and timely in their contact and conduct. Process moved at a great pace, Over the best of my life.

Interview Question – How did you handle your last negative interaction.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Aim High, bargain hard, play hardball and then roll over, it's worth it.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pricing Analyst Interview

Pricing Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Hotwire in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview by the HR representative. Basic behavioral questions and resume discussion. Next was the phone interview with the Hiring Manager. It consisted on few behavioral and mostly technical skills assessment. Be prepared with everything mentioned on the job description with past work examples.

Interview Question – Describe how you used a particular technical skill in your past project?   Answer Question

Human Resources Representative Interview

Human Resources Representative
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hotwire in May 2010.

Interview Details – I've been very pleased with my experience. I received a very quick response to my online application. I received a very quick phone screen/interview. I needed several in-person, onsite interviews; the coordinator was extremely flexible and helped work around my busy work schedule. The office/interview spaces are clean and neat. Any interview process can invoke some fear/anxierty; however, the team here made me feel very comfortable. I am still waiting to hear back from Hotwire; I want to work for this company very badly - the entire team seems amazing!

Interview Question – None were unexpected; how would you go from a large organization to one much smaller (in comparison to current work environment)?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in May 2009.

Interview Details – Had a great interview experience with Hotwire and was very impressed by how quickly they worked me through the interview process. They were also very accommodating to my work schedule at my prior job, providing some flexibility for when I interviewed despite the tight timeline they were working under. Overall I was very pleased with the interview process and how seriously the company takes recruiting.

Interview Question – For analytical positions, be prepared for some brain teasers to test math skills and thought process.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hotwire in April 2009.

Interview Details – Hotwire has an extremely efficient recruitment process. They take it very seriously and treat their candidates with so much respect. I received an initial phone call from their HR department to schedule a phone interview later in the week. In this call, I was asked several behavioral questions as well as analytical questions. The call went very well and I was informed in less than one day that they wanted to do a second round interview on the phone with the hiring manager. Again, the conversation was primarily about my background but I was given ample amount of time to address questions I had regarding the position and corporate culture. Within 24 hours, I received a call to inform me that I was invited to come into the office to meet a total of 5 Hotwire employees. The interview process involved behavioral skills, logic as well as analytical skills. Within 24 hours, I received an official offer and as you can imagine, I was overwhelmed with the efficiency and professional nature of the Hotwire recruitment process.

Negotiation Details – While I did not negotiate the offer that Hotwire provided me they were extremeley fair with compensation and have great travel perks!

Manager of Search Engine Marketing Interview

Manager of Search Engine Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hotwire in June 2009.

Interview Details – I had an excellent experience interviewing with Hotwire. I was interested in working for the company/in the industry. so began to do research. I quickly discovered that the President of the company was a former colleague. I made contact with him through LinkedIn, and he responded almost immediately with a warm invitation to meet for coffee in order to catch up. He also mentioned that Hotwire was hiring, so if I was interested, he would like to talk to me about opportunities.

Things moved quickly from there. As an outcome of our initial coffee conversation, I was invited to come in to Hotwire and have informational interviews with two hiring managers. Both of my conversations were engaging and thoughtful and left me very excited to join the company. While they were definitely interviews in the sense of testing my skills, background, and interest in the company, they were also quite focused on determining what position would be the best fit for me and for the company. We ultimately determined through those conversations that the best spot for me might be the Search Engine Marketing role. So, two days later, I came back to interview for that position. I met with 5 people, and enjoyed every interview. I felt they gave me an excellent chance to prove my qualifications but also allowed me to learn a lot about the company, the role, the Marketing team, etc. Again, I left excited about joining the company (and nervous to hear the outcome!)

Five days later, I received a phone call extending me the offer, conditional on successful completion of a background check. I verbally accepted on the spot.

This is my second week on the job, and my glowing opinion of Hotwire has only been reinforced by my first few days! People are smart, friendly, results focused, and entrepreneurial. I am learning and ton and having a great time.

Interview Question – Unexpected: How would you write a vlookup in Excel? An If statement?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hotwire had been transparent throughout the interview process re. what I could expect for a compensation package. The offer I received was in line with those expectations, so I did not haggle.

Aside from the cash compensation, one thing to keep in mind when considering a Hotwire offer is all of the other perks -- major travel discounts. generous vacation policy!

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Hotwire who set up a phone interview with me on a Thursday. The phone interview was fairly standard, questions regarding experiences on your resume, problem solving, and scenario/behavioral questions. The Manager was interviewed me was difficult to read (especially over the phone) but friendly enough and answered all my questions regarding the position. About two hours after my interview, the HR rep from Hotwire called me and asked me to come in the following Monday for a series of one on one interviews. This was fairly mind-numbing, but gave me a broad variety of differing opinions, questions, and let me get a good idea of the types of people I would be working with. Questions consisted of aptitude in certain software and applications (pertaining to the position) and questions based on personal experiences. I would say it is a good blend of questions on your soft skills, technical skills, and chatter to coax out your personality and put you at ease. HR contacted me the week after my interview to give me an offer and listened to my questions and concerns. She addressed them all openly and honestly and I felt good about my decision even though I took a some time to think it over. One thing to realize at Hotwire is that it is a fairly tight-knit community and they are trying to gauge your personality and work ethic in a short amount of time. They also want you to want to be here as much as they want you to be here. The office is conducive to learning, the culture is laid back - casual everyday and truly full of people who work hard, but have a good time as well. HR was very helpful in addressing all my questions and the interview process allowed me to ask the questions that needed to be asked and get a good look at what I needed to know before taking any job.

Interview Question – Please describe a time when you solved a problem either at work or school and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Online Marketing Analyst Interview

Online Marketing Analyst
San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – Talk about a quick turnaround process! If you need a job within the week and your skill set matches a position at Hotwire, this is the company for you! I was contacted about a phone interview, phone interviewed, in-person interviewed, and received an offer letter in under a week.
  My advice in preparing for an interview with Hotwire is to read about the Microsoft hiring process and the analytical questions they are known for asking. This will definitely give you a leg up in the interview.