Hotwire Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.1

Online Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Extremely friendly HR person. Basic personal questions and asked questions about if I am a more analytical person, and how my work experience or school experience has helped me analytically. Asked what salary I would be looking for.

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. One of the interviewers asked to solve a specific problem and wanted to hear your thought process and problem solving skills. Other interviewers were your basic questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your most challenging design project and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough. They won't budge much on salary. Really. And they will lure you in with the travel benefits, which really, there's not a whole lot or enough to outweigh the low salary.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Start with phone contact with a recruiter. Then it goes to a phone interview with an engineer. From there it's an onsite interview with 5 people. I had 3 managers and 2 engineers.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the interviews difficult or had any unexpected questions. The questions asked pertained to my experience and some technical problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview by the HR representative. Basic behavioral questions and resume discussion. Next was the phone interview with the Hiring Manager. It consisted on few behavioral and mostly technical skills assessment. Be prepared with everything mentioned on the job description with past work examples.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you used a particular technical skill in your past project?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

The most straight forward process I've every worked with, most people asked job related questions, were professional and timely in their contact and conduct. Process moved at a great pace, Over the best of my life.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle your last negative interaction.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Aim High, bargain hard, play hardball and then roll over, it's worth it.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I've been very pleased with my experience. I received a very quick response to my online application. I received a very quick phone screen/interview. I needed several in-person, onsite interviews; the coordinator was extremely flexible and helped work around my busy work schedule. The office/interview spaces are clean and neat. Any interview process can invoke some fear/anxierty; however, the team here made me feel very comfortable. I am still waiting to hear back from Hotwire; I want to work for this company very badly - the entire team seems amazing!

Interview Questions

• None were unexpected; how would you go from a large organization to one much smaller (in comparison to current work environment)?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

phone interviews followed by 2-3 hours of in person interviews with team

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

It took around 10 interviews to get to Hotwire. Overall very good experience - friendly interviewers, professional questions, prompt feedback and guidance for the next step, etc. Some interviews looked like a friendly chat, rather than a job interview, but I assume it worked ok to build a perception. Anyway, I'm glad I made it!

Manager of Search Engine Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hotwire (San Francisco, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

I had an excellent experience interviewing with Hotwire. I was interested in working for the company/in the industry. so began to do research. I quickly discovered that the President of the company was a former colleague. I made contact with him through LinkedIn, and he responded almost immediately with a warm invitation to meet for coffee in order to catch up. He also mentioned that Hotwire was hiring, so if I was interested, he would like to talk to me about opportunities.

Things moved quickly from there. As an outcome of our initial coffee conversation, I was invited to come in to Hotwire and have informational interviews with two hiring managers. Both of my conversations were engaging and thoughtful and left me very excited to join the company. While they were definitely interviews in the sense of testing my skills, background, and interest in the company, they were also quite focused on determining what position would be the best fit for me and for the company. We ultimately determined through those conversations that the best spot for me might be the Search Engine Marketing role. So, two days later, I came back to interview for that position. I met with 5 people, and enjoyed every interview. I felt they gave me an excellent chance to prove my qualifications but also allowed me to learn a lot about the company, the role, the Marketing team, etc. Again, I left excited about joining the company (and nervous to hear the outcome!)

Five days later, I received a phone call extending me the offer, conditional on successful completion of a background check. I verbally accepted on the spot.

This is my second week on the job, and my glowing opinion of Hotwire has only been reinforced by my first few days! People are smart, friendly, results focused, and entrepreneurial. I am learning and ton and having a great time.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: How would you write a vlookup in Excel? An If statement?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hotwire had been transparent throughout the interview process re. what I could expect for a compensation package. The offer I received was in line with those expectations, so I did not haggle.

Aside from the cash compensation, one thing to keep in mind when considering a Hotwire offer is all of the other perks -- major travel discounts. generous vacation policy!

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hotwire in June 2009.

Interview

My experience with Hotwire recruiting process has been one that was fair, robust and extremely efficient.

I had a phone screen with the hiring manager for approximately 35 minutes. The questions were primarily twofold: resume based questions and some technical questions. Time was equally split. It seemed questions were designed to test analytical skills and unstructured thinking abilities. I was asked a few brain teasers that could be challenging under time pressure.

Two days after the phone interview, I had an on-site with HR, senior managers and executives. I think questions were fair - some behavioural, some technical and some revolved around industry knowledge. Sometimes I felt more like having a discussion rather than being part of an interview. Interviewers were humble, affable, respectful, down-to-earth and very smart. I had an offer within 2 days and I took the offer after one day of negotiation. This is probably one of the most efficient and fair interview processes yet in my career.

Interview Questions

• Resume and industry related questions, brain teasers and technical questions.   Answer Question