Hotwire Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.1

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in December 2013.

The interview process was very efficient and pleasant. I was initially contacted by a recruiter and the process was followed by a phone screen with the manager and then a in-person interview in San Francisco. The interview went well and it most of it felt like a two-sided conversation more so than a strict interview. I've been wanting to work for Hotwire for a long time so I was very excited for a chance to interview. The recruiting team seems to be very efficient and any changes or questions are addressed fast. This was one of the best interviewing experiences I've had.

Interview Questions
    I decided not to negotiate

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Hotwire.

phone screen with hiring manager followed by two on-site interviews with peers, teams that I would be working with and HR

not open to negotiations

Partnerships Specialist (Marketing) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hotwire.

I applied online and got a call back from a recruiter who was based out of UK. I had relevant experience and was excited about the role. The recruiter wanted to know one thing only how much I was expecting to make and how much I make now. When she found out that I currently make the top of their range she said she would be unable to move me forward and it does not make sense to continue the interview with her. To which I replied that I see a lot of opportunities in this role and would be very interested in having a conversation with a hiring manager. Her response: "That's not how our recruiting process works" I was a little shocked by this unprofessional and short response, but still told her that "I am looking for a great fit with opportunities for advancement. Her response: "we dont promote that quick, I dont see why you would want this role" Needless to say I did not move forward with the process. But I was shocked 1) rude manner of the recruiter 2) how quickly they would pass on a good candidate where the difference in salary would have been $10K ( no more!) I was making mid 80s ( and would have asked for some raise) Their range was up to mid 80s. The difference is so minor that it makes the company look really bad.

Interview Questions
    • Will you need a sponsorship visa? How much are you making now? What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire.

Initially contacted by HR rep for a phone screen
    Follow-up by a phone screen with hiring manager
    On-site interviews with 5 people (including head of HR)

Interview Questions
    • None. Very typically experience based questions with some case study type questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire.

4 rounds. 3 of the interviewers are nice except one. They ask all kinds of normal interview questions, plus the problems that are closely related with their work. Basically you just sit down in the meeting room, and you get interviewed by four interviewers individually. The HR will talk about the compensation and your expectation at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer gave a question regarding the boxing/unboxing. That is, the data member of the class is the basic 'int' type, not initialized, and they return it back in a method with return type 'Integer'. The answer should be '0' even if the data member is not initialized   Answer Question

Associate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in April 2013.

I received an email to set up a phone interview with their recruiter. Happened a week later, she was extremely nice. She asked me questions that were pretty broad, just to feel out my expectations & personality. She then set up an appointment for a phone interview with the Director of Accounting. That happened about a week later, she was also extremely nice--speaking with her was a lot more technical. My final interview was onsite, it consisted of the team & recruiter individually, it was fairly technical to see if I actually knew what was on my resume, & to see how my personality is in person. They really just want people that want to be at Hotwire, that have a good attitude & want to work.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. A lot of questions regarding learning situations with past/current employers.   Answer Question
    Quick & painless.

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire.

It was OK. It was kind of a hard sell.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation phase was okay.

UNIX Manager, Hotwire Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in August 2012.

August 13, 2012 I applied for the UNIX Manager position in San Francisco. I found the following weeks to be rather disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked me by a technical member of the team had absolutely nothing to do with UNIX or Oracle. I was asked to explain in-depth how the physical mappings of memory inside a server. I still have no idea why anyone would ask a manager this questions..   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in March 2012.

I was contacted via email by the recruiter for a phone screening - We'd set the time at 2PM on a Wed. She called me that Monday at 9AM - I wasn't ready to talk to her - and I told her we'd setup a time on Wed. She apologized and said she'd gotten confused.

Tuesday at 2PM - I'm in the car- she calls me again. I tell her once more, that we're meeting on Wed. She apologizes again. Finally we connect and she passes me to the hiring manager.

I talk to the hiring manager and they tell me they'll let me know next steps in about 2 weeks. I get an email 3 weeks later telling me the recruiter is going on vacation and her manager will follow up with me about next steps.

The next week I ping him a couple of times and he doesn't have any information. Then on Friday he sets up a call with me for 3 PM Monday for 30 minutes.

That morning he moves the time to 3:30 - 4. Fine.

At 3:30, I wait,and wait and wait. At 3:40 I get an email saying he'll be late. At 3:55 he calls me, asks if I can still meet. I say yes, and he tells me they don't want to move forward.

Great, they just wasted my time for a 2 sentence email or a 3 minute call - and strung this out to over a month.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hotwire in February 2012.

A recruiter contacted me for this position and I was thereafter contacted by someone from the marketing team. They then called and we spoke for about a half hour concerning the normal background questions - why am I interested, what applicable skills do I have for the position, why Hotwire, etc.

I then got called in for an in-person interview about a week later with four people separately for about a half hour each. I read the reviews on here so I studied hard - history of Hotwire, potential brain-teasers they could give me, specific examples of my work that apply to the position, where I could improve etc.

The majority of this was NOT covered during the interview! The same people basically asked me the same questions over and over - background, skills, interests. Not even an in-depth question about technical skills for an analyst position.

The company seems solid and organized but I have heard that morale is low. I would have loved to work there, but c'est la vie!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what V Lookup is?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you needed information from someone and they would not give it to you - and what you did to get it from them.   Answer Question

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!