1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Assistant to the Publisher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2008.

Interview

Had a good hour and a half long interview with the publisher/VP, then a follow up phone interview. Both went very well--great conversations--and I was offfered the job. At the time I was making $35,000 in a similar position at a smaller publisher. She offered me $32,000 and when I attempted to negotiate for $35,000, based on my experience and current salary, I was told that I might not be the right fit after all, that I was too ambitious too ambitious.

Interview Questions

I was disappointed to pass up the opportunity at a prestigious house, but in hindsight I dodged a bullet--she was right, it was not a good fit for me to work for a company that wouldn't consider such a minor increase.