Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Austin, TX

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in February 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online and got selected for phone interview. A brief 20 mins phone interview with HR regarding resume and past experience. She also asked some behavioral questions such as what's your strengths? What would you want to learn from this job? etc. But she kept typing when I was talking, I kept hearing the typing sound. The next day I got email from her that this position has been hold.

Interview Question – What would you want to learn from this job?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in January 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online, receive a call from Boston HR, receive a call from the department head, and come in for an in person interview.

Interview Question – Are you familiar with the Dewey Decimal System?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They send you a low offer, you counter their offer, and you meet in the middle, just as any other negotiation. It wasn't that hard, you just have to willing to play the game.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2012.

Interview Details – They called me back 3 times. Then they took another month to send me an offer. I dismissed them as not interested or badly organized and the only reason I accepted was because my last employer was in worse financial shape. I just wanted a job.

Interview Question – Q: If I won the lottery. Would I quit my job?   View Answer

Product Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed via phone with first HR recruiter from Ireland. Very good experience at that point. I was then transferred to an HR person in Boston who consistently forgot details during our conversations. She also would neglect to call at a time that I was given. I was brought in for site interviews in Boston with only a few people. When making the offer, the HR Boston rep started out with a bonus and base that was for the wrong grade level! She proceeded to go through the process as if it was her first time. I was very shocked that this size/age of company would have such an inexperienced HR rep for high-level position recruitment.

Interview Question – What is the largest number of people that you have managed?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very concerned about the changes taking place during the process regarding the position. Additionally, I never received a straight answer on basic questions like "how many people report into this position". It seemed that the hiring manager really did not know what she wanted. I did not believe that I could be successful working in an environment with such an inept onboarding process and very confused leadership.

Associate Photo Researcher Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on online and got a phone call to set up a phone interview. About week later, I did the phone interview. The lady who interviewed me was really nice. The interview consisted with basic interview questions like tell me about yourself/experience. She then gave me the rundown about the position which didn't jive well with me. It sounded more administrative then creative. I then took a skills test. I week later I received an email saying that they have decided to more on with other candidates for the position. If they had offered me the position, I would have declined it because the job title didn't match the position.

Interview Questions

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty laid back. More behavioral in nature.

Interview Question – What business process improvement did you initiate?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Videos

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt – Why Work for Us?

Changing People's Lives by Fostering Passionate, Curious Learners It's not just our mission; it's our passion. As one of the world’s longest-established publishing houses and largest providers of pre-K–12 education… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees and interview candidates.