Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

2.7

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in February 2013.

Submitted resume online and got selected for phone interview. A brief 20 mins phone interview with HR regarding resume and past experience. She also asked some behavioral questions such as what's your strengths? What would you want to learn from this job? etc. But she kept typing when I was talking, I kept hearing the typing sound. The next day I got email from her that this position has been hold.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2012.

They called me back 3 times. Then they took another month to send me an offer. I dismissed them as not interested or badly organized and the only reason I accepted was because my last employer was in worse financial shape. I just wanted a job.

Interview Questions
    • Q: If I won the lottery. Would I quit my job?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in January 2012.

Apply online, receive a call from Boston HR, receive a call from the department head, and come in for an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    They send you a low offer, you counter their offer, and you meet in the middle, just as any other negotiation. It wasn't that hard, you just have to willing to play the game.

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2011.

Interviewed via phone with first HR recruiter from Ireland. Very good experience at that point. I was then transferred to an HR person in Boston who consistently forgot details during our conversations. She also would neglect to call at a time that I was given. I was brought in for site interviews in Boston with only a few people. When making the offer, the HR Boston rep started out with a bonus and base that was for the wrong grade level! She proceeded to go through the process as if it was her first time. I was very shocked that this size/age of company would have such an inexperienced HR rep for high-level position recruitment.

Interview Questions
    • What is the largest number of people that you have managed?   Answer Question

Very concerned about the changes taking place during the process regarding the position. Additionally, I never received a straight answer on basic questions like "how many people report into this position". It seemed that the hiring manager really did not know what she wanted. I did not believe that I could be successful working in an environment with such an inept onboarding process and very confused leadership.

Associate Photo Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2011.

I applied on online and got a phone call to set up a phone interview. About week later, I did the phone interview. The lady who interviewed me was really nice. The interview consisted with basic interview questions like tell me about yourself/experience. She then gave me the rundown about the position which didn't jive well with me. It sounded more administrative then creative. I then took a skills test. I week later I received an email saying that they have decided to more on with other candidates for the position. If they had offered me the position, I would have declined it because the job title didn't match the position.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

Pretty laid back. More behavioral in nature.