Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

2.6

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Director of Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in August 2014.

The process was several steps: First, it took several weeks (nearly 2 months) after I submitted my resume and cover letter via the online system before I was contacted via email. First there was a phone interview with an HMH recruiter, next a video interview, then an in-person interview with the supervisor for the role.

Interview Questions
    • What metrics/KPIs would you look at to evaluate campaign success   Answer Question

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I applied to the position on the company website and a week later was contacted by the HR supervisor to set up a 15-30 min call. The call went well and concluded that an interview would be set up the next week. The interview was with one manager on the team and lasted an hour or so. The interviewer asked for my resume (which was already submitted when I applied for the position). It was clear throughout the interview that he didn't review my resume beforehand and asked questions that were clearly stated on the resume. More than once he interrupted me when I was trying to answer his questions. This was rather difficult for me to get my point across. However, the interviewer provided very detailed history of the department, especially the difficult times the audit department went through.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty general questions regarding my work experience. Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Applied on company website, then a recruiter reached out. She then missed the call she had scheduled for us and we did talk was not very friendly. I then went in to meet with the hiring manager in person. Then had a phone call with a second manager. I thought it went well, but received a generic response a week later saying no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple. What kind of manager do you work well with? How would your friends describe you, how would your boss describe you?   Answer Question

Supply Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I came in at a time when the company just needed bodies to fill office space. I didn't go through an actual hiring or interview process. I have heard that the process now is ridiculous with multiple interviews and multiple levels of justification for offer letters

Interview Questions
    I asked for more money, they said no.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2011.

I first had a phone screen with the recruiter, then a phone screen with the hiring manager. I met several people in the course of the first round of 1:1 interviews and was brought back for a second interview with two additional people. Though reviews of the company are overwhelming negative I was quite pleased and energized by the people I met. Unfortunately, I did not get the job and was notified by a generic applicant tracking system message. Very disappointing. They should at least have the courtesy to call.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

This company is awful. They don't follow up. They don't organize. They tend to lead people on. They put candidate to compete for a mediocre job that they glamourize. It would have been a position that Iwould have never considered. They don't even have the courtesy to call bak even when they tell you they would.

waste of time

Director of Product Management and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2010.

Even though I applied through the online system, I did not make progress on getting an interview until I contacted the hiring manager directly. I found the person's name out through a friend at the company and sent a cold e-mail to the hiring manager. After that, the process was straightforward: a phone interview with the hiring manager, phone interviews with other stakeholders, 2 face-to-face interviews (one with the hiring manager and one with the hiring manager's boss) then an offer.

Interview Questions
    • One of the editors accused me of "drinking the FOSS (a competitor) kool-aid."   View Answer
    Negotiating was easy. I got more than I asked for. I should have pushed harder, I think.

Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2010.

Very quick response time from time of application online.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in August 2009.

The process was slow, and it wasn't unti the 3rd round that I was able to learn that the position wasn't a proper match either in pay or responsibilities for my own experience. The interviewers I spoke with were all professional and engaged, but it was a slow, somewhat unorganized process.

Interview Questions
    • Which book would you most like to build a (marketing) campaign for?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2009.

The hiring process was pretty straight forward. Once I submitted my resume, I was contacted by HR. The "Talent Manager" set up an inital phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, I went through two rounds of interviews. Within four weeks of the interview, I recevied the job offer.

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiation.