Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on company website, then a recruiter reached out. She then missed the call she had scheduled for us and we did talk was not very friendly. I then went in to meet with the hiring manager in person. Then had a phone call with a second manager. I thought it went well, but received a generic response a week later saying no offer.

Interview Question – Very simple. What kind of manager do you work well with? How would your friends describe you, how would your boss describe you?   Answer Question

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Senior Internal Auditor
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – I applied to the position on the company website and a week later was contacted by the HR supervisor to set up a 15-30 min call. The call went well and concluded that an interview would be set up the next week. The interview was with one manager on the team and lasted an hour or so. The interviewer asked for my resume (which was already submitted when I applied for the position). It was clear throughout the interview that he didn't review my resume beforehand and asked questions that were clearly stated on the resume. More than once he interrupted me when I was trying to answer his questions. This was rather difficult for me to get my point across. However, the interviewer provided very detailed history of the department, especially the difficult times the audit department went through.

Interview Question – Pretty general questions regarding my work experience. Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Director of Product Management and Marketing Interview

Director of Product Management and Marketing
Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2010.

Interview Details – Even though I applied through the online system, I did not make progress on getting an interview until I contacted the hiring manager directly. I found the person's name out through a friend at the company and sent a cold e-mail to the hiring manager. After that, the process was straightforward: a phone interview with the hiring manager, phone interviews with other stakeholders, 2 face-to-face interviews (one with the hiring manager and one with the hiring manager's boss) then an offer.

Interview Question – One of the editors accused me of "drinking the FOSS (a competitor) kool-aid."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiating was easy. I got more than I asked for. I should have pushed harder, I think.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Supply Planner Interview

Supply Planner
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – I came in at a time when the company just needed bodies to fill office space. I didn't go through an actual hiring or interview process. I have heard that the process now is ridiculous with multiple interviews and multiple levels of justification for offer letters

Interview Question – there were no questions during my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for more money, they said no.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty straight forward. Once I submitted my resume, I was contacted by HR. The "Talent Manager" set up an inital phone interview with the hiring manager. After that, I went through two rounds of interviews. Within four weeks of the interview, I recevied the job offer.

Interview Question – Specific question related to SAP reporting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2008.

Interview Details – Started with phone screening by HR, then phone interview by hiring manager and in person interview.

Interview Question – Very typical sales oriented interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Relatively short

Business Interview

Business
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very quick response time from time of application online.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Boston, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2011.

Interview Details – I first had a phone screen with the recruiter, then a phone screen with the hiring manager. I met several people in the course of the first round of 1:1 interviews and was brought back for a second interview with two additional people. Though reviews of the company are overwhelming negative I was quite pleased and energized by the people I met. Unfortunately, I did not get the job and was notified by a generic applicant tracking system message. Very disappointing. They should at least have the courtesy to call.

Interview Question – Questions about style and experience   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Planner
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

Interview Details – This company is awful. They don't follow up. They don't organize. They tend to lead people on. They put candidate to compete for a mediocre job that they glamourize. It would have been a position that Iwould have never considered. They don't even have the courtesy to call bak even when they tell you they would.

waste of time

Interview Question – Why was your interest in switching the field?   Answer Question

Assistant to the Publisher Interview

Assistant to the Publisher
Boston, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2008.

Interview Details – Had a good hour and a half long interview with the publisher/VP, then a follow up phone interview. Both went very well--great conversations--and I was offfered the job. At the time I was making $35,000 in a similar position at a smaller publisher. She offered me $32,000 and when I attempted to negotiate for $35,000, based on my experience and current salary, I was told that I might not be the right fit after all, that I was too ambitious too ambitious.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was disappointed to pass up the opportunity at a prestigious house, but in hindsight I dodged a bullet--she was right, it was not a good fit for me to work for a company that wouldn't consider such a minor increase.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Videos

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt – Why Work for Us?

Our Culture As champions of curiosity, our employees are as much a part of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt brand as the programs we promote, the products we sell, and the services we provide. We view every… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees and interview candidates.