Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Updated Nov 27, 2014
Updated Nov 27, 2014

2.6

Vice President Product Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Found by a contract recruiter and discussed job with her; then interviewed with hiring manager and several others; took too long but was otherwise streamlined. Hiring manager asked good questions as did his manager. Interviews were not overly lengthy. More detail on what the job would entail may have been helpful as well as some visibility into challenges with company's culture and traditional employees. One phone interview led to an in person interview and several other in person interviews that took a while to schedule.

One counteroffer by each side to reach common ground

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Hiring Manger did not ask questions about my background. Only talked about them self in the interview. No background check or drug test was conducted. Very strange. Not the most professional interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions were asked. Let this be a precursor to how the position will be.   Answer Question
    Would not negotiate.

Director of Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in August 2014.

The process was several steps: First, it took several weeks (nearly 2 months) after I submitted my resume and cover letter via the online system before I was contacted via email. First there was a phone interview with an HMH recruiter, next a video interview, then an in-person interview with the supervisor for the role.

Interview Questions
    • What metrics/KPIs would you look at to evaluate campaign success   Answer Question

Publicity Interview

Very nice people but a email to interview me via phone was sent. The email and the phone call that followed were rushed, as the job would begin the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly the way they handled interviewing me rather than the interview itself that was the problem.   Answer Question

Assessment Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2014.

Phone screening by an HR rep first. One week later phone interview with hiring manager. Two weeks following had a face to face interview. Waiting on the phone call regarding details about the inal interview.

Educational Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Virtual recorded interview first. Received an email and a call for face to face interview. Received an email with a powerpoint and was informed that I would have to present using the powerpoint provided. Face to face interview was very pleasant. After the mock presentation to two HMH employees, I was asked a couple of questions about my experience and goals.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions during the interview but having to present a 7-10 minute presentation isn't for everyone. They really wanted to see my presentation skills and that seemed to be the priority. HMH does send you the presentation with enough time for you to review and prepare. They did also ask what I knew about their company so it is a good idea to research the company's history.   Answer Question

The position was part time during the summer and it conflicted with my full time job.

Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Initial phone interview 'screening' call with recruiter. Second phone interview with manager. Face to face interview with manager. HR call back. The company did require a background check. It was all very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Give specific examples of working with tight deadlines and strategies.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied to the position on the company website and a week later was contacted by the HR supervisor to set up a 15-30 min call. The call went well and concluded that an interview would be set up the next week. The interview was with one manager on the team and lasted an hour or so. The interviewer asked for my resume (which was already submitted when I applied for the position). It was clear throughout the interview that he didn't review my resume beforehand and asked questions that were clearly stated on the resume. More than once he interrupted me when I was trying to answer his questions. This was rather difficult for me to get my point across. However, the interviewer provided very detailed history of the department, especially the difficult times the audit department went through.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty general questions regarding my work experience. Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

I came in and had to fill out a lot of paperwork. Several people were being hired so we had orientation. This included setting up our insurance and benefits. 2 weeks of training and I was done. 90 day probation period.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Applied on company website, then a recruiter reached out. She then missed the call she had scheduled for us and we did talk was not very friendly. I then went in to meet with the hiring manager in person. Then had a phone call with a second manager. I thought it went well, but received a generic response a week later saying no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple. What kind of manager do you work well with? How would your friends describe you, how would your boss describe you?   Answer Question