Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

52 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Publicity Interview

Publicity

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Very nice people but a email to interview me via phone was sent. The email and the phone call that followed were rushed, as the job would begin the following Monday.

Interview Question – It was mostly the way they handled interviewing me rather than the interview itself that was the problem.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assessment Specialist Interview

Assessment Specialist

I applied online - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2014.

Interview Details – Phone screening by an HR rep first. One week later phone interview with hiring manager. Two weeks following had a face to face interview. Waiting on the phone call regarding details about the inal interview.

Interview Question – None, typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – A thorough process, interviewing with several different levels within the organization. No real canned questions, but rather a focus on behavioral and personality attributes, as well as success in a sales capacity.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation when you were able to convince an otherwise lost sale into an opportunity?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – I came in and had to fill out a lot of paperwork. Several people were being hired so we had orientation. This included setting up our insurance and benefits. 2 weeks of training and I was done. 90 day probation period.

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on company website, then a recruiter reached out. She then missed the call she had scheduled for us and we did talk was not very friendly. I then went in to meet with the hiring manager in person. Then had a phone call with a second manager. I thought it went well, but received a generic response a week later saying no offer.

Interview Question – Very simple. What kind of manager do you work well with? How would your friends describe you, how would your boss describe you?   Answer Question

Educational Consultant Interview

Educational Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Virtual recorded interview first. Received an email and a call for face to face interview. Received an email with a powerpoint and was informed that I would have to present using the powerpoint provided. Face to face interview was very pleasant. After the mock presentation to two HMH employees, I was asked a couple of questions about my experience and goals.

Interview Question – No difficult questions during the interview but having to present a 7-10 minute presentation isn't for everyone. They really wanted to see my presentation skills and that seemed to be the priority. HMH does send you the presentation with enough time for you to review and prepare. They did also ask what I knew about their company so it is a good idea to research the company's history.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position was part time during the summer and it conflicted with my full time job.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview 'screening' call with recruiter. Second phone interview with manager. Face to face interview with manager. HR call back. The company did require a background check. It was all very straightforward.

Interview Question – Give specific examples of working with tight deadlines and strategies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Senior Internal Auditor
Boston, MA

Interview Details – I applied to the position on the company website and a week later was contacted by the HR supervisor to set up a 15-30 min call. The call went well and concluded that an interview would be set up the next week. The interview was with one manager on the team and lasted an hour or so. The interviewer asked for my resume (which was already submitted when I applied for the position). It was clear throughout the interview that he didn't review my resume beforehand and asked questions that were clearly stated on the resume. More than once he interrupted me when I was trying to answer his questions. This was rather difficult for me to get my point across. However, the interviewer provided very detailed history of the department, especially the difficult times the audit department went through.

Interview Question – Pretty general questions regarding my work experience. Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Learning Architect Interview

Learning Architect
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

Interview Details – Simple and straightforward. No trick questions. I first had a phone interview with a screener from HR, and then interviewed with HR in person. I interviewed with a panel from the department for which I had applied, and the questions were mostly geared to what I knew about education and writing, and how good a fit I would be personality-wise.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Common Core.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but HR will negotiate.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Atlanta, GA

Interview Details – One phone screen conducted by HR and one phone interview conducted by the hiring manager

Interview Question – How does this job align with your career goals?
How will your past experience help with this role (career changing)?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!