Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

41 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Formaer Manager Solution Architecture Interview

Interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview Details – The hiring and Interview process is fine and follows the standards as other companies in the central Florida area.

Interview Question – There was not any.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I received what I was asking for compensation.

Director of Sales Interview

Director of Sales

Interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of meetings with the HR recruiter, the hiring manager and the RVP of the region. All meetings were face to face. Once the interviews were completed and you move to the next round, you were required to give a sample presentation. Please note that the interview procedures for sales are about to change at HMH.

Interview Question – There wasn't an unexpected question. The meetings were conversation driven.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer from another company

Director of Product Management and Marketing Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in June 2010.

Interview Details – Even though I applied through the online system, I did not make progress on getting an interview until I contacted the hiring manager directly. I found the person's name out through a friend at the company and sent a cold e-mail to the hiring manager. After that, the process was straightforward: a phone interview with the hiring manager, phone interviews with other stakeholders, 2 face-to-face interviews (one with the hiring manager and one with the hiring manager's boss) then an offer.

Interview Question – One of the editors accused me of "drinking the FOSS (a competitor) kool-aid."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiating was easy. I got more than I asked for. I should have pushed harder, I think.

Manager, Finance Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – The entire process was unusually long. I first was contacted by HR three weeks after submitting my online application. By that time, I thought I was not being considered and was surprised but pleased to receive a screening interview call. Then another four weeks went by before I had a telephone interview with the hiring manager. Then two weeks later a group interview with the manager and two colleagues. The group interview was a list of about 20 questions which the people alternated in asking. Then at the end I could ask a few questions of my own. There was no interest in my background other than my most recent job experience. I was asked to take a short Excel test at the end of the group interview. Then a week later the HR contact called and told me I was not going to be hired. Overall, the people treated my professionally although there was a lack of urgency to fill the position and I thought the group interview was handled in an odd manner.

Interview Question – Most of the 20 interview questions were standard in nature. One question was along the lines of how I handled a poor employee situation and what I learned. I was unprepared for a question like that and had a weak response.   View Answer

Senior Account Manager Interview

Senior Account Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Received a call after submitting resume and application. Four phone interviews, followed by an in-person presentation to senior management.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They had a base pay range; and they placed me at the top of the range based on my interviews and my presentation.

Very Easy Interview

Educational Specialist Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in October 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter via phone, then flown to Florida to corporate office for 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – All questions were generic and even a caveman could answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated an additional $5000. I requested it, and they approved (even though it delayed my hiring by one week.

Very Easy Interview

Inside Sales Support Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was a directly hired via Zero Chaos by the director of the division. He asked for me specifically. There was no interview process, he hired me because of our previous work relationship, and my reputation as a good employee who has a very good work ethic.

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Associate Product Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2011.

Interview Details – The initial interview was a phone call with an HR person, which was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Next, I flew in for an in-person interview (no travel reimbursement), during which I met with the hiring manager as well as one of her direct reports. I received notice that I would be offered the position a couple of weeks later, and I started about two weeks after that. The interviews were what you'd expect - we covered an overview of my background and career goals, information about the position, questions and answers, etc. I appreciated that they were fairly relaxed in terms of tone, but I'm sure that varies with the hiring manager. First impressions of company culture were typical for the publishing industry: business casual attire, cubicles and corner offices, etc.

Interview Question – None. I remember the interview process as being relaxed in tone and typical in content - what is your background, what are your career goals, why are you looking to go into a marketing role, why are you interested in educational publishing, what is your passion?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation opportunities are very limited in the publishing industry right now, at least for entry level positions.

Editor Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in August 2009.

Interview Details – There are several levels of review to get to the final interview. You start with a phone interview from HR, and then with your potential boss, and then with their bosses. Depending on how badly they need you for a project it ends there or goes on for a couple more rounds. There are a number of traditional questions, such as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", but most have to do with your education experience.

Interview Question – What do you know about state or common core standards?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I'm not a great negotiator, but there is some room going upwards at the first salary offered by HR.

Market Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Interviewed with every member of the team, 6 interviews in all. They were very nice and informative. They are interested to see if you have an interest in the publishing industry.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working for a marketing research team for a publishing company and not a industry specific company?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Videos

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt – Why Work for Us?

Changing People's Lives by Fostering Passionate, Curious Learners It's not just our mission; it's our passion. As one of the world’s longest-established publishing houses and largest providers of pre-K–12 education… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees and interview candidates.