Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – I came in and had to fill out a lot of paperwork. Several people were being hired so we had orientation. This included setting up our insurance and benefits. 2 weeks of training and I was done. 90 day probation period.

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on company website, then a recruiter reached out. She then missed the call she had scheduled for us and we did talk was not very friendly. I then went in to meet with the hiring manager in person. Then had a phone call with a second manager. I thought it went well, but received a generic response a week later saying no offer.

Interview Question – Very simple. What kind of manager do you work well with? How would your friends describe you, how would your boss describe you?   Answer Question

Educational Consultant Interview

Educational Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Virtual recorded interview first. Received an email and a call for face to face interview. Received an email with a powerpoint and was informed that I would have to present using the powerpoint provided. Face to face interview was very pleasant. After the mock presentation to two HMH employees, I was asked a couple of questions about my experience and goals.

Interview Question – No difficult questions during the interview but having to present a 7-10 minute presentation isn't for everyone. They really wanted to see my presentation skills and that seemed to be the priority. HMH does send you the presentation with enough time for you to review and prepare. They did also ask what I knew about their company so it is a good idea to research the company's history.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position was part time during the summer and it conflicted with my full time job.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview 'screening' call with recruiter. Second phone interview with manager. Face to face interview with manager. HR call back. The company did require a background check. It was all very straightforward.

Interview Question – Give specific examples of working with tight deadlines and strategies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Senior Internal Auditor
Boston, MA

Interview Details – I applied to the position on the company website and a week later was contacted by the HR supervisor to set up a 15-30 min call. The call went well and concluded that an interview would be set up the next week. The interview was with one manager on the team and lasted an hour or so. The interviewer asked for my resume (which was already submitted when I applied for the position). It was clear throughout the interview that he didn't review my resume beforehand and asked questions that were clearly stated on the resume. More than once he interrupted me when I was trying to answer his questions. This was rather difficult for me to get my point across. However, the interviewer provided very detailed history of the department, especially the difficult times the audit department went through.

Interview Question – Pretty general questions regarding my work experience. Nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Learning Architect Interview

Learning Architect
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2010.

Interview Details – Simple and straightforward. No trick questions. I first had a phone interview with a screener from HR, and then interviewed with HR in person. I interviewed with a panel from the department for which I had applied, and the questions were mostly geared to what I knew about education and writing, and how good a fit I would be personality-wise.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Common Core.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but HR will negotiate.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Atlanta, GA

Interview Details – One phone screen conducted by HR and one phone interview conducted by the hiring manager

Interview Question – How does this job align with your career goals?
How will your past experience help with this role (career changing)?
  Answer Question

Digital Editor Interview

Digital Editor
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview Details – Applied online, was contacted by HR for a quick phone interview. I was told HR needed to get a hold of the hiring manager's schedule to set up an interview, and to expect a call in a week.

Over a week later, I followed up and received no response. I waited another week and received no immediate response, and then a system generated reply saying the role had been canceled.

Two weeks later, I heard through the grapevine that the position has been filled after all.

Totally unprofessional behavior to ignore my emails, and bizarre to lie about it and say the role had been "canceled".

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Formaer Manager Solution Architecture Interview

Formaer Manager Solution Architecture

Interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview Details – The hiring and Interview process is fine and follows the standards as other companies in the central Florida area.

Interview Question – There was not any.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I received what I was asking for compensation.

Director of Sales Interview

Director of Sales

Interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of meetings with the HR recruiter, the hiring manager and the RVP of the region. All meetings were face to face. Once the interviews were completed and you move to the next round, you were required to give a sample presentation. Please note that the interview procedures for sales are about to change at HMH.

Interview Question – There wasn't an unexpected question. The meetings were conversation driven.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer from another company

Interviews for Top Jobs at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Videos

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt – Why Work for Us?

Our Culture As champions of curiosity, our employees are as much a part of the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt brand as the programs we promote, the products we sell, and the services we provide. We view every… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt interview questions and advice. All 49 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt employees and interview candidates.