Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.7

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (West Lafayette, IN).

Interview

I was contacted by a reviewer shortly after uploading my documents on the company's site. This first portion was done by email with a phone number in case I had questions. I completed a pre-interview where I was asked to record myself answering questions. This felt awkward, but was really painless. Due to my position I was then asked to complete a short math and english questionnaire to ensure I was qualified. Once both of those steps were completed I was required to complete a video interview where I was required to present for ten minutes in addition to answering traditional interview questions. This video interview was followed up with two phone interviews.

Literacy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume and received an email invitation for a virtual interview. Responses to questions were timed and video recorded. Sample questions and practice were allowed prior to the actual interview. No human contact was made. Interview lasted approximately 25 mins.

Interview Questions

• Describe how your skills qualify you for the position.   Answer Question

Front-End Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Patently laughable. I was contacted by an internal recruiter who spoke very highly of my linkedin profile. She insisted that I should apply to not one, but two positions, and as promptly as possible, as she made it sound like they were really sweating my skill set. I applied within the hour, and heard back within the hour with positive feedback, and was requested to do an online video interview. At first, I thought I had something when the recruiter got back to me so quickly, and told me they wanted to "fast track" the process. That should have been my first clue to run like hell. I was given a link to Hirevue, a video interviewing tool which looked ancient at best. The one-way video interview asked softball questions that warranted stupid answers. Mind you this was all happening very fast, and on the same day. So I record my answers to the questions using hirevue, and sent a nice note to the recruiter saying I completed it. Then silence. I didn't hear anything back for three days. When I did finally hear back, she told me they decided to promote an internal developer for one of the positions I applied for. Who even does that? Who tells the candidate the company decided to promote an internal developer unless their intent was to make you feel like a waste of space? I read the reviews on here and apparently this is not the first time they've done this. This company is shady, and if you value your skills as a developer, stay as far away as possible.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a deep copy and a shallow copy?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

It was an online interview - you can choose when and where you will take it. You logon online with the password provided. The answers are recorded, you're videotaped while speaking.

Interview Questions

• General questions- why are you a good candidate, what do you know about the company, etc.   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen which was just a quick call to tell me that I would get a link to a video interview. The entire interview was through HireVue - a one-way video interview tool. I was asked 8 questions (6 of which were video). It was a very uncomfortable process with no chance to re-record the 3 minute answers. I received a rejection email in error - so that was a bit stressful. The process is still in progress. I will update once process is complete.

Interview Questions

• A detailed question about how to estimate work in Agile   Answer Question

Education Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

1st interview was online using Hireview. It was sort of awkward answering questions with no feedback or conversation. There were 10 questions with 30 seconds to think and prepare an answer before the recording started. 2nd interview was a webinar presentation with a live person interacting and asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Expected questions dealing with the product and background.   Answer Question

Digital Learning Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was horrible. I was contacted by an inept recruiter, with no direct knowledge of the position, to record a digital interview that asked me nothing about my background or skills, only situational opinions. There was no interviewer, just me recording the answers. After two in a half weeks, I was contacted to take an assessment that consisted of personality profiling and general knowledge questions. After another two weeks I contacted the recruiter and was told that the position was being filled by an internal candidate. I don't mind not getting an offer, but I do mind the lack of urgency and respect shown to me as a professional. Nobody from HMH took even five minutes to speak with me directly, the entire process was done online.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you faced a challenge. How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Educational Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Want to feel like a collection of data points? The ATS selected resumes; internal recruiter selected for digital interview; someone then selects for a 2 hour on-line assessment (basic math/literacy and personality profile); then hiring manager selects for phone interview. I did not get that far. Internal recruiter did reach out (to confirm email instructions for interview and profile were received) but did not return inquiries regarding the process and only reluctantly answered questions. Four months after the initial application (and only with my following up) did I hear-via an ATS generated form- that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Fairly typical situational questions, but veered toward sales types of questions. This was not how the position was described...but they clearly wanted more sales experience.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly I got an email within two days of my application. Then they sent an interview link which recorded the interview, few generic questions about sdlc, integration with sap and cms, hybris, j2ee. Mostly they were questions, which expected descriptive answers. Then after a week got an email for personal interview. This was with 4 people back to back. Grilled me technically. From Basics to advanced. Very few situational questions, which I was expecting lot more since it is a senior position. They were expecting very basic and core stuff to be remembered from a seasoned developer. Overall, nice people and fairly good interview.

Interview Questions

• Each one of them asked about OOPS - polymorphism   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Long and lengthy. Phone Interview with three managers. Online testing. Final Interview. One month overall. Long and tedious process. As soon as you finish step one, get ready for a million more. Never ending. Consumed a month of my life.