Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.7

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

First received email asking best hours to set up in person interview. After interview confirmed, was then emailed again to take and pass assessments in order to continue with interview. Very easy. Interview was nothing like an actual interview. More of a get together. Was asked few questions and was told a bit about the company.

Learning Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Submitted my resume online through company website. Process took forever, over 3 months and was extremely detailed. 2 phone interviews then a face to face with the VP and managers. They didn't seem very organized or sure what they wanted. It was pleasant but slow.

Interview Questions
    • No trick questions, How do you deal with changing deadlines? Are you willing to be vague in designing instructional lessons?   View Answer

Director Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Initial interviews via skype to compensate for distance travel. Was fine. Not too rigorous. Included background check and drug test for obvious reasons (working with children). Skype interview was effective and less stressful than a one on one interview.

Disjointed. Lead to some misunderstandings. Nothing insurmountable

Content Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I was contacted for an interview within 48 hours of submission. Completed a digital interview which the recruiter said would be shared if I didn't fit the profile for this job. I never heard back. When I called her, she said the hiring manager hadn't seen it yet (3 weeks later). Then, the next day I got a rejection letter. No feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to sell a position to someone.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in December 2014.

On-Line Video Screening Interview, then Email to confirm interest, Phone Interview, In Person Interview with 3 managers individually, then another Phone Interview. There was also a series of emails back and forth as a source to set up many of the interviews. The final interview was via phone since on the of three managers couldn't make the first interview. Everything was slightly held up due to the holidays.

Vice President Product Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Found by a contract recruiter and discussed job with her; then interviewed with hiring manager and several others; took too long but was otherwise streamlined. Hiring manager asked good questions as did his manager. Interviews were not overly lengthy. More detail on what the job would entail may have been helpful as well as some visibility into challenges with company's culture and traditional employees. One phone interview led to an in person interview and several other in person interviews that took a while to schedule.

One counteroffer by each side to reach common ground

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Hiring Manger did not ask questions about my background. Only talked about them self in the interview. No background check or drug test was conducted. Very strange. Not the most professional interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions were asked. Let this be a precursor to how the position will be.   Answer Question
    Would not negotiate.

Director of Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in August 2014.

The process was several steps: First, it took several weeks (nearly 2 months) after I submitted my resume and cover letter via the online system before I was contacted via email. First there was a phone interview with an HMH recruiter, next a video interview, then an in-person interview with the supervisor for the role.

Interview Questions
    • What metrics/KPIs would you look at to evaluate campaign success   Answer Question

Publicity Interview

Very nice people but a email to interview me via phone was sent. The email and the phone call that followed were rushed, as the job would begin the following Monday.

Interview Questions
    • It was mostly the way they handled interviewing me rather than the interview itself that was the problem.   Answer Question

Assessment Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in July 2014.

Phone screening by an HR rep first. One week later phone interview with hiring manager. Two weeks following had a face to face interview. Waiting on the phone call regarding details about the inal interview.