Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.7

Order Management Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I applied online and received a call within the week to schedule a screening interview via phone. I spoke to a recruiter from their headquarters. She described the company history, culture, and benefits. The questions were basic and were mostly about my past experience, my resume and my current skill set. There were also a few behavioral questions, such as strengths and weaknesses. The screening lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewer was very nice, but the typing came across very loudly over the phone. She said she would get back to me and never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you rate your Excel skills? What is your experience with SAP?   View Answer

Content Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I applied on line and was called within one week. I spoke to the hiring manager first and then I met with a Senior Content Specialist and the hiring manager in person and two other managers via conference call. I had to give a 10 minute presentation. Everyone I met with was fantastic.

Interview Questions
    • Standard industry questions. Discuss a few hot topics in Education. Discuss a time when you planned something and found out moments before the presentation that you had to change the material. How would your former coworkers describe you? Why Houghton Mifflin? How comfortable are you with traveling?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

First received email asking best hours to set up in person interview. After interview confirmed, was then emailed again to take and pass assessments in order to continue with interview. Very easy. Interview was nothing like an actual interview. More of a get together. Was asked few questions and was told a bit about the company.

Learning Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Submitted my resume online through company website. Process took forever, over 3 months and was extremely detailed. 2 phone interviews then a face to face with the VP and managers. They didn't seem very organized or sure what they wanted. It was pleasant but slow.

Interview Questions
    • No trick questions, How do you deal with changing deadlines? Are you willing to be vague in designing instructional lessons?   View Answer

Director Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Initial interviews via skype to compensate for distance travel. Was fine. Not too rigorous. Included background check and drug test for obvious reasons (working with children). Skype interview was effective and less stressful than a one on one interview.

Disjointed. Lead to some misunderstandings. Nothing insurmountable

Content Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

I was contacted for an interview within 48 hours of submission. Completed a digital interview which the recruiter said would be shared if I didn't fit the profile for this job. I never heard back. When I called her, she said the hiring manager hadn't seen it yet (3 weeks later). Then, the next day I got a rejection letter. No feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to sell a position to someone.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in January 2015.

Received a email from the recruiting manager to set up a phone interview. The initial interview did not happen as there was some miscommunication. I was notified the next day that they would be rescheduling took place approximately 20 minutes. Initially I did not think the interview went well however they did call me for second phone interview. The second manager that interviewed me ask a lot about experiences I gave her examples and talked about technology that they have and she indicated that they were evaluating new technology in the location. A few days later I was advised that I was not a good fit???

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the things you created to increase productivity in the department?   View Answer

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in December 2014.

On-Line Video Screening Interview, then Email to confirm interest, Phone Interview, In Person Interview with 3 managers individually, then another Phone Interview. There was also a series of emails back and forth as a source to set up many of the interviews. The final interview was via phone since on the of three managers couldn't make the first interview. Everything was slightly held up due to the holidays.

Vice President Product Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Found by a contract recruiter and discussed job with her; then interviewed with hiring manager and several others; took too long but was otherwise streamlined. Hiring manager asked good questions as did his manager. Interviews were not overly lengthy. More detail on what the job would entail may have been helpful as well as some visibility into challenges with company's culture and traditional employees. One phone interview led to an in person interview and several other in person interviews that took a while to schedule.

One counteroffer by each side to reach common ground

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Hiring Manger did not ask questions about my background. Only talked about them self in the interview. No background check or drug test was conducted. Very strange. Not the most professional interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions were asked. Let this be a precursor to how the position will be.   Answer Question
    Would not negotiate.