Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.7

Front-End Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Patently laughable. I was contacted by an internal recruiter who spoke very highly of my linkedin profile. She insisted that I should apply to not one, but two positions, and as promptly as possible, as she made it sound like they were really sweating my skill set. I applied within the hour, and heard back within the hour with positive feedback, and was requested to do an online video interview. At first, I thought I had something when the recruiter got back to me so quickly, and told me they wanted to "fast track" the process. That should have been my first clue to run like hell. I was given a link to Hirevue, a video interviewing tool which looked ancient at best. The one-way video interview asked softball questions that warranted stupid answers. Mind you this was all happening very fast, and on the same day. So I record my answers to the questions using hirevue, and sent a nice note to the recruiter saying I completed it. Then silence. I didn't hear anything back for three days. When I did finally hear back, she told me they decided to promote an internal developer for one of the positions I applied for. Who even does that? Who tells the candidate the company decided to promote an internal developer unless their intent was to make you feel like a waste of space? I read the reviews on here and apparently this is not the first time they've done this. This company is shady, and if you value your skills as a developer, stay as far away as possible.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a deep copy and a shallow copy?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

It was an online interview - you can choose when and where you will take it. You logon online with the password provided. The answers are recorded, you're videotaped while speaking.

Interview Questions

• General questions- why are you a good candidate, what do you know about the company, etc.   Answer Question

Education Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

1st interview was online using Hireview. It was sort of awkward answering questions with no feedback or conversation. There were 10 questions with 30 seconds to think and prepare an answer before the recording started. 2nd interview was a webinar presentation with a live person interacting and asking questions.

Interview Questions

• Expected questions dealing with the product and background.   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen which was just a quick call to tell me that I would get a link to a video interview. The entire interview was through HireVue - a one-way video interview tool. I was asked 8 questions (6 of which were video). It was a very uncomfortable process with no chance to re-record the 3 minute answers. I received a rejection email in error - so that was a bit stressful. The process is still in progress. I will update once process is complete.

Interview Questions

• A detailed question about how to estimate work in Agile   Answer Question

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was horrible. I was contacted by an inept recruiter, with no direct knowledge of the position, to record a digital interview that asked me nothing about my background or skills, only situational opinions. There was no interviewer, just me recording the answers. After two in a half weeks, I was contacted to take an assessment that consisted of personality profiling and general knowledge questions. After another two weeks I contacted the recruiter and was told that the position was being filled by an internal candidate. I don't mind not getting an offer, but I do mind the lack of urgency and respect shown to me as a professional. Nobody from HMH took even five minutes to speak with me directly, the entire process was done online.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you faced a challenge. How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Educational Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Want to feel like a collection of data points? The ATS selected resumes; internal recruiter selected for digital interview; someone then selects for a 2 hour on-line assessment (basic math/literacy and personality profile); then hiring manager selects for phone interview. I did not get that far. Internal recruiter did reach out (to confirm email instructions for interview and profile were received) but did not return inquiries regarding the process and only reluctantly answered questions. Four months after the initial application (and only with my following up) did I hear-via an ATS generated form- that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Fairly typical situational questions, but veered toward sales types of questions. This was not how the position was described...but they clearly wanted more sales experience.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Long and lengthy. Phone Interview with three managers. Online testing. Final Interview. One month overall. Long and tedious process. As soon as you finish step one, get ready for a million more. Never ending. Consumed a month of my life.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly I got an email within two days of my application. Then they sent an interview link which recorded the interview, few generic questions about sdlc, integration with sap and cms, hybris, j2ee. Mostly they were questions, which expected descriptive answers. Then after a week got an email for personal interview. This was with 4 people back to back. Grilled me technically. From Basics to advanced. Very few situational questions, which I was expecting lot more since it is a senior position. They were expecting very basic and core stuff to be remembered from a seasoned developer. Overall, nice people and fairly good interview.

Interview Questions

• Each one of them asked about OOPS - polymorphism   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within the week to schedule a screening interview via phone. I spoke to a recruiter from their headquarters. She described the company history, culture, and benefits. The questions were basic and were mostly about my past experience, my resume and my current skill set. There were also a few behavioral questions, such as strengths and weaknesses. The screening lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewer was very nice, but the typing came across very loudly over the phone. She said she would get back to me and never did.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate your Excel skills? What is your experience with SAP?   1 Answer

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I applied on line and was called within one week. I spoke to the hiring manager first and then I met with a Senior Content Specialist and the hiring manager in person and two other managers via conference call. I had to give a 10 minute presentation. Everyone I met with was fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Standard industry questions. Discuss a few hot topics in Education. Discuss a time when you planned something and found out moments before the presentation that you had to change the material. How would your former coworkers describe you? Why Houghton Mifflin? How comfortable are you with traveling?   1 Answer