Houlihan Lokey Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.6

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

First round - technical only. Full walkthrough of DCF, Enterprise value calculations, walking through debt effect on 3 financial statements, etc.

2nd round - technical test which was accounting based. dinner and bar (fun). next day, interviews with everyone. some technical stuff again

Financial Analyst Interview

Interviewing process was very straight forward and they got to the point when trying to make sure that i was the right fit for them. overall it was a great experience and i enjoyed it very much

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in October 2014.

I applied online through my career services website. After about a week, I heard that I got an interview on campus. It was a skype interview and the first question asked was "Tell me about yourself - specifically, tell me something not on your resume" Some of the other questions included: "Why are you interested in Houlihan Lokey (I-banking)?" What are the ways to value a company?

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a DCF model? Know the very detailed specifics on this. Also, "What is an LBO?"   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Houlihan Lokey in October 2014.

I applied through our career services in my college. I received an email that invited me for interview. I was asking to come with a financial calculator. On the interview day, 30 mn interview face to face and 1h for a financial test: questions about the relation between the 3 statements, NPV , preparation of the pro forma of the 3 statements.

Interview Questions
    • The financial test was not too bad but I need more time.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Very rigorous and lean interview. They are known for being very technical and are looking for candidates that know their finance and accounting. Personality and attitude are also a huge factor, given the firm's size. There is a reason why Houlihan is ranked #1 in more than half of Vault's categories; this is a very competitive firm with great people and a great attitude. Study for their written test, think of good questions to ask, and be honest.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were what you would expect: valuation techniques, name some good ways to compare similar companies, how do certain transactions affect the BS/IS/CF. This being Houlihan, expect them to through out a number of teaser questions that have nothing to do with finance and instead shows them how strong your deductive and reasoning skills are.   Answer Question

FT Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in September 2014.

Phone interview, applied through college, get a call back about a week or so later to have a phone interview. very technical question. make sure you know how three financial statement connected. question itself isn't difficult, make sure you ask time to prepare for it

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in August 2014.

I went through my University, which included on-campus events (career fair & Info sessions) and received an interview a week after the last event. It was mainly technical questions that you would get at any investment banking interview with some behavioral. I realized investment banking was not for me and decided not to pursue anything after the initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the complete valuation process of a manufacturing company (DCF, multiples, and past transactions with very detailed WACC/CAPM computation). Also asked questions off of process like what would lower WACC do to valuation.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in June 2014.

Contacted by HR and then had 2 interviews both behavioral and technical within 2 weeks. The process was not bad at all overall. I have no idea why I was not selected as I was not told.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioural question about what I like to do in my free time   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in June 2014.

Not very formal, at least for me. I was a temp covering until they found a replacement. Already knew how to perform all the requirements. The "interview" wasn't even an a real interview. It lasted 10 min and there were no formal questions asked, just small chit chat and a question that asked " So what do you wan to tell me?" I was never even a consideration in the persons list of candidates, the only reason it was given to me was my Supervisor insisted that I was "interviewed"... Never given a chance. But oh well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Houlihan Lokey in March 2014.

Had a phone interview, first round with MD, then 2nd round with analyst. Interview consisted of combination of personal skills and technical skills. Had to do a paper LBO that wasn't too complicated.