Houlihan Lokey

Getting the Interview

49 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

FAS Dispute/Litigation Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey in January 2014.

Interview Details – OCR. Got grilled about the case comps in my 1st round.
2nd round had an hour long technical test--proforma financial statements, basic finance.
Strict behavioral questions after, then writing exercise I had to write a industry report on using a laptop had 30 mins ,and another technical in person

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions   Answer Question

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus and the guy was great. He didn't ask me any technicals at all after seeing my resume. We talked about my background. I'm from the Philippines so he asked a lot about that, what places to visit, where to go, etc. It was very informal and chill. Superday was 5 rounds of interviews. 2 of them were a 2-on-1. Most of the interviewers were really nice. One of my interviewers didn't show up which threw me off and another guy was subbing for someone since the other guy had an emergency. The sub didn't really care much and clearly had no interest in interviewing.

Interview Question – From 1 to 10 with 1 being hardworking and 10 being smart, rate yourself   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – through online recruiting, had 30 minute first round interview. was asked questions regarding resume, why I wanted the position, and a few valuation and ebitda questions. Was pretty casual and recruiter was friendly.

Interview Question – What is a positive and negative aspect of using DCF valuation?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Houlihan Lokey

Interview Details – Initial contact was through e-mail on a Sunday afternoon, which asked whether I would accept a first round phone interview. I responded within 15 min, but I did not get a confirmation until 11:30 pm that night. In the second e-mail, they notified me that my interview would be the next day at 12PM. Very short amount of time to prepare. The entire interview was 25 min long and it was all technical.

Interview Question – I had to walk them through a DCF, and then when that was completed I was asked various questions as to how the value of a company would be altered if different items on a balance sheet increased along with other accounting definitions.   Answer Question

Senior Vice President Interview

Senior Vice President
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – I interviewed with multiple people at all levels in the organization with an emphasis on meeting all of the people in the group I was joining. I interviewed with Analysts, Associates, Vice Presidents, SVPs/Directors, Managing Directors and the head of corporate finance. I also met with the office manager and an assistant. Visited Chicago and New York offices. Also interviewed with people from headquarters in LA. Overall, the process was very thorough and I did not meet any jerks.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. I was asked to predict the amount of business I would win in the first 6 months, 12 months and 18 months.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – SImple

Analyst Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview like most i banking interviews is both behavioral and technical. Although for Houlihan Lokey it was very technical.

Interview Question – When should you value a company using a revenue multiple vs. EBITDA?   View Answers (2)

Experienced Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – DCF, Accounting questions like if depreciation increases by 10, what would happen to the three financial statments, difference between equity acquisition or debt fund raising, and how to solve some problems when you do not have resource, significant cases in industry, the general multiples.

Interview Question – Some questions on Debt and Equity Acquisition   Answer Question

Associate Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey in July 2013.

Interview Details – - approx. 5 hours / 9-10 people / 30 min each
- written test
- xls modeling exercise of BS, IS and CF statements
- interview questions ranging from background, walk through resume to current state of economy, interest rates, FX movements, etc.

Interview Question – Relative value of EUR to USD - what drives relative exchange rates   View Answer

Reason for Declining – other opportunities / life-style

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – submitted resume through ocr. received email less than a week later for interview. interview was 1 on 1. introduction was behavioral then the rest very technical

Interview Question – how would you value a competitor to pepsi   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Houlihan Lokey.

Interview Details – Submitted online application and received general email about setting up phone interview with member of team the following week. Phone interview lasted the scheduled 30 minutes. The interviewer asked only technical questions, like your typical walk me through a DCF. He was candid and helped me get to the answers for questions I didn't immediately know the answer to. Then HL went silent and emails unanswered. I did not expect to move to the next round, but I also would have liked to hear something. Now, I have a bad taste in my mouth for HL and find it rude to not be given any feedback, like a straight up no!

Interview Question – Walk me through a DCF. How do you get to EBIT? Why can't you use EV/EPS as a valuation metric?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Houlihan Lokey

Worked for Houlihan Lokey? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houlihan Lokey interview questions and advice. All 49 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houlihan Lokey employees and interview candidates.