Houston ISD

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.1

Lecturer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

The interview was short. I was a solid candidate, so interviewer was fair with interview questions. The interviewer can be anyone from the potential school, and they are usually a full time teacher. You must getting finger printed and pass a background check to get hired. The process does take two or three weeks once all paper work has been completed.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Houston ISD.

I was hired at a job recruiting fair in California. I was interviewed by one principal who then referred me to his supervisor for a 2nd interview which consisted of several questions that included teacher/students scenarios. After answering approximately 8-10 questions I was asked to wait. 20-30 minutes later I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult because I have experience in the classroom.   Answer Question
    I new what the salary and benefits package was like so I did not have to negotiate this. Unfortunately for teachers we have no leverage to negotiate.

Organizational Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD in November 2014.

One word describes this experience: Disrespect
    1. I applied online.
    2. The hiring manager called me that day and conducted a 30 min. phone screen.
    3. I completed an instructional design project due within 3 days. I was asked to create an outline of a training class and create a slide show about myself. It was quite a lengthy project.
    4. I attended a 2.5 hour panel interview. At its completion, the hiring manager introduced me to her supervisor who conducted a 30 minute interview asking so many of the same questions I'd just spent over 2 hours answering and asked if I would be available the following day for an additional interview.

Midway through the panel interview, I was informed that I was not interviewing for the Organizational Specialist position, but an Onboarding Specialist. I found it extremely unprofessional to switch job titles on me without informing me before the interview and giving me the option to cancel. There were other red flags. The hiring manager's attitude was bordering on arrogant and condescending. She was a little snappy during the interview.

I went home, pondered the surprise position I'd interviewed for, and then withdrew my application. There was a never a 'thank you for your time' message. Nothing. This experience demonstrated a total lack of respect for me as a potential employee and my time. Who wants to work for a snippy, rude manager who doesn't show appreciation for people and switches job titles without informing the applicant beforehand? It was an exhausting experience for a job that I didn't want and didn't apply for.

Interview Questions
    • Google behavioral interviewing style and be prepared to answer scenario based questions providing examples and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Interviewed for position after masters program and found out they would not calculate into salary. I like the hiring manager and decide to start out but did not plan on staying for too long since they were low balling on the salary. There were no perks offered. It was an easy interview but for the way they treated people that is an indication of how you will feel the rest of your time working there. They do not care for their employees.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to start at the lowest salary possible coming from a graduate degree?   View Answer

Bilingual Teacher Interview

I had an initial interview at the district where they basically asked classroom management questions. After that, I had an interview with the principal and the people I was going to be working with. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you create a behavior modification for a student with ongoing behavior problems?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

The process varied from campus to campus. One School requested a demo lesson be taught. Other schools opted for in person interview, which varied from one-one to interview with panel.

Interview Questions
    • If a student failed your class, what percentage of the failure would you attribute to efforts?   Answer Question
    no negotiations

High School English Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

STAR behavioral questions, Teaching-experience related questions, telephonic interview with Human Resources Personnel followed by a panel interview with the Principal and AP and instructional technologist, certification related questions, classroom management techniques discussion

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Houston ISD in May 2014.

I applied online, and accepted the position THREE days later. The job had been listed for a few weeks. They had already been interviewing other candidates. I almost felt like it was a little rushed! Nevertheless I'm excited about this opportunity to work at a really great school in the district!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what reading/math looks like in your classroom   Answer Question

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

I had to go through an initial interview process and submit a video of myself teaching a class

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

Long interview process (phone interview, on-line interview and you most pass a math test as well)

Better than other districts