Houston ISD Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
31 interviews

3.1

Special Education Teacher Interview

Interviewed for position after masters program and found out they would not calculate into salary. I like the hiring manager and decide to start out but did not plan on staying for too long since they were low balling on the salary. There were no perks offered. It was an easy interview but for the way they treated people that is an indication of how you will feel the rest of your time working there. They do not care for their employees.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to start at the lowest salary possible coming from a graduate degree?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

The process varied from campus to campus. One School requested a demo lesson be taught. Other schools opted for in person interview, which varied from one-one to interview with panel.

Interview Questions
    • If a student failed your class, what percentage of the failure would you attribute to efforts?   Answer Question
    no negotiations

Secretary II Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Houston ISD in May 2012.

Very interesting process because I was already a substitute teacher. You fill out the application. They call you in for an interview with a panel of four or five people. Call you back for a second interview with the Chief Technology Office and you began your on boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • Experience and background in working with the district?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Houston ISD in May 2014.

I applied online, and accepted the position THREE days later. The job had been listed for a few weeks. They had already been interviewing other candidates. I almost felt like it was a little rushed! Nevertheless I'm excited about this opportunity to work at a really great school in the district!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what reading/math looks like in your classroom   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2014.

I was offered a face to face interview fairly quick after I submitted my online job application. I would say the overall process was quick because I got a job offer within 5 days. The only thing I didn't like is that their hiring process ends in the first week of April so I have to wait until June to do my orientation, which means I won't be able to start until August. I don't know why they stop the hiring process so early.

Interview Questions
    • What made you apply for the associate teacher position? How would you deal with misbehaving students (give an example)?   Answer Question

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD in August 2012.

Principals know who they want and the skills they want... if you can find a principal prior to the hiring process... you'll have a better chance of getting the job you want.

No negotiations

High School English Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

STAR behavioral questions, Teaching-experience related questions, telephonic interview with Human Resources Personnel followed by a panel interview with the Principal and AP and instructional technologist, certification related questions, classroom management techniques discussion

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

I had to go through an initial interview process and submit a video of myself teaching a class

TEACHERS ASSISTANT Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

You have to first fill out an on-line application and then submit your resume and cover letter to principle of what school that has openings. Then the school will call you in for an interview and have a copy of your resume and they ask you why you want to work at their school, what experience or educational background you have. To be a teachers assistant you need at least 48 credit hours from an accredited college with transcripts.

Also if they have a job fair then it is quicker to get hired through the job fair instead of on-line.

Once hired they will finger print you, you have to take a urine test if you pass this then you move. The you will go through a brief orientation.

Associate Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2012.

Principal requested me. It takes weeks to make it through human resources. It is a slow process, there are less HR personnel than there use to be. I had to be fingerprinted, pass a background check and after clearing background checks, I was approved for an interview. I was interviewed months later. The interview was ten minutes long. I was told after the interview I had the job.. but It took a few weeks for official approval and for my official submission into the system. It took another month to be placed in an available orientation.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do about a persistent misbehaving student?   View Answer
    No negotiations. You are paid based on experience.

Worked for Houston ISD? Contribute to the Community!