Houston ISD

Relevance Date Difficulty

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher

Interviewed at Houston ISD

Interview Details – Interviewed for position after masters program and found out they would not calculate into salary. I like the hiring manager and decide to start out but did not plan on staying for too long since they were low balling on the salary. There were no perks offered. It was an easy interview but for the way they treated people that is an indication of how you will feel the rest of your time working there. They do not care for their employees.

Interview Question – Are you willing to start at the lowest salary possible coming from a graduate degree?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – The process varied from campus to campus. One School requested a demo lesson be taught. Other schools opted for in person interview, which varied from one-one to interview with panel.

Interview Question – If a student failed your class, what percentage of the failure would you attribute to efforts?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Secretary II Interview

Secretary II

I applied online - interviewed at Houston ISD in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very interesting process because I was already a substitute teacher. You fill out the application. They call you in for an interview with a panel of four or five people. Call you back for a second interview with the Chief Technology Office and you began your on boarding process.

Interview Question – Experience and background in working with the district?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Teacher, Elementary School

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Houston ISD in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and accepted the position THREE days later. The job had been listed for a few weeks. They had already been interviewing other candidates. I almost felt like it was a little rushed! Nevertheless I'm excited about this opportunity to work at a really great school in the district!

Interview Question – Tell me what reading/math looks like in your classroom   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Associate Teacher
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was offered a face to face interview fairly quick after I submitted my online job application. I would say the overall process was quick because I got a job offer within 5 days. The only thing I didn't like is that their hiring process ends in the first week of April so I have to wait until June to do my orientation, which means I won't be able to start until August. I don't know why they stop the hiring process so early.

Interview Question – What made you apply for the associate teacher position? How would you deal with misbehaving students (give an example)?   Answer Question

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Teacher, Secondary School
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD in August 2012.

Interview Details – Principals know who they want and the skills they want... if you can find a principal prior to the hiring process... you'll have a better chance of getting the job you want.

Interview Question – All questions were expected   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

High School English Teacher Interview

High School English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – STAR behavioral questions, Teaching-experience related questions, telephonic interview with Human Resources Personnel followed by a panel interview with the Principal and AP and instructional technologist, certification related questions, classroom management techniques discussion

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Teacher, Secondary School
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – I had to go through an initial interview process and submit a video of myself teaching a class

TEACHERS ASSISTANT Interview

TEACHERS ASSISTANT

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – You have to first fill out an on-line application and then submit your resume and cover letter to principle of what school that has openings. Then the school will call you in for an interview and have a copy of your resume and they ask you why you want to work at their school, what experience or educational background you have. To be a teachers assistant you need at least 48 credit hours from an accredited college with transcripts.

Also if they have a job fair then it is quicker to get hired through the job fair instead of on-line.

Once hired they will finger print you, you have to take a urine test if you pass this then you move. The you will go through a brief orientation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with children.   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Associate Teacher
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2012.

Interview Details – Principal requested me. It takes weeks to make it through human resources. It is a slow process, there are less HR personnel than there use to be. I had to be fingerprinted, pass a background check and after clearing background checks, I was approved for an interview. I was interviewed months later. The interview was ten minutes long. I was told after the interview I had the job.. but It took a few weeks for official approval and for my official submission into the system. It took another month to be placed in an available orientation.

Interview Question – What would you do about a persistent misbehaving student?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You are paid based on experience.

Worked for Houston ISD? Contribute to the Community!