Houston ISD

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Teachers Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – You have to first fill out an on-line application and then submit your resume and cover letter to principle of what school that has openings. Then the school will call you in for an interview and have a copy of your resume and they ask you why you want to work at their school, what experience or educational background you have. To be a teachers assistant you need at least 48 credit hours from an accredited college with transcripts.

Also if they have a job fair then it is quicker to get hired through the job fair instead of on-line.

Once hired they will finger print you, you have to take a urine test if you pass this then you move. The you will go through a brief orientation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with children.   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Associate Teacher
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2012.

Interview Details – Principal requested me. It takes weeks to make it through human resources. It is a slow process, there are less HR personnel than there use to be. I had to be fingerprinted, pass a background check and after clearing background checks, I was approved for an interview. I was interviewed months later. The interview was ten minutes long. I was told after the interview I had the job.. but It took a few weeks for official approval and for my official submission into the system. It took another month to be placed in an available orientation.

Interview Question – What would you do about a persistent misbehaving student?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You are paid based on experience.

High School English Teacher Interview

High School English Teacher
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – I received a call to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by another teacher as well as the principal. I was asked questions concerning my teaching skills (scaffolding, differentiation, incorporation of technology, etc.) as well as about my classroom management plan. I was given hypothetical classroom management scenarios and asked to explain how I would react in certain situations.

Interview Question – If I were to walk into your classroom, what would I see?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Administrator Interview

Administrator

I applied online and interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview Details – Skills demonstration questions dealt with:
1. addressing your staff on an issue (introducing yourself as a new principal, expectations for PLC's, expectations for instructional practice)
2. Data Analysis
3. Teacher observation--how to support your staff
4. ranking scenarios on what you would handle first---safety above all else

Negotiation Details – I was approved to move on to the next stage for entering the principal/dean pool

Very Difficult Interview

Administrator Interview

Administrator
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD in October 2009.

Interview Details – It was a video recorded interview.

Interview Question – What if you are told no when you wnat to implement a proposal?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No options

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Houston ISD

Interview Details – The interview process was the more like a scare tactic where they tell you how they need a qualified teacher in every classroom and then they don't give you any tools to help you be successful. As long as you are certified and if you are an elementary teacher..you can pass a 4th grade math test you should find a job somewhere in the district.

Interview Question – It was a pretty standard interview.   Answer Question

Teacher, English Language Arts Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Houston ISD in August 2009.

Interview Details – As a Teach for America participant, I did not specifically apply to any one school. I was selected for a one on one interview with a principal who had chosen to interview me based on the strength of my resume. The interview was conducted at the school and involved questions about my attitude towards children and why I wanted to teach. Questions also tried to gauge my ability to work with low-income students.

Interview Question – Why are you qualified to work with low-income students?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Standard teaching contract.

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Houston ISD

Interview Details – i interviewed for a middle school science position. They contacted me on the phone and I went in and interviewed at the school. It was a panel of about 8 people consisting of the academic dean and other teachers. They went around taking turns and asking me questions. It was not a very intense atmosphere though.

Interview Question – what would be something other people say they don't like about you?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Houston, TX

I interviewed at Houston ISD in February 2013.

Interview Details – Skype Interview, very nice recruiter but not so nice team

Interview Question – Complete requirements on the spot   Answer Question

Speech Therapist Assistant Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Houston ISD in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was held at the beautiful school district building and actually invoked my new coworkers. I was a little nervous but answered every question and asked. Within the next two weeks I was offered a position and soon after I had orientation. Everyone I have met so far has been very polite which makes eager to start!

Interview Question – One question that was asked during the interview involved knowledge of new techniques and programs that related to speech pathology.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Based on my work experience they offer you a pay rate.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Houston ISD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Houston ISD interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Houston ISD employees and interview candidates.