Houston ISD

Houston ISD Teacher Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

The process varied from campus to campus. One School requested a demo lesson be taught. Other schools opted for in person interview, which varied from one-one to interview with panel.

Interview Questions
  • If a student failed your class, what percentage of the failure would you attribute to efforts?   Answer Question
no negotiations

Other Interview Reviews for Houston ISD

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD.

Long interview process (phone interview, on-line interview and you most pass a math test as well)

Better than other districts

Teacher Interview

The interview process was the more like a scare tactic where they tell you how they need a qualified teacher in every classroom and then they don't give you any tools to help you be successful. As long as you are certified and if you are an elementary teacher..you can pass a 4th grade math test you should find a job somewhere in the district.

Teacher Interview

i interviewed for a middle school science position. They contacted me on the phone and I went in and interviewed at the school. It was a panel of about 8 people consisting of the academic dean and other teachers. They went around taking turns and asking me questions. It was not a very intense atmosphere though.

Interview Questions
    • what would be something other people say they don't like about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Houston ISD.

I attended a teacher recruitment and selection event with HISD. I was invited to attend the event after applying on their website. Soon after applying I was sent the invitation for the event, which was a google survey asking basic info. For out-of-state candidates there was an option to select a SKYPE interview. I attended the selection event a couple weeks later, which in my opinion was like a cattle call. Nothing was really personal it just seemed as though the recruiters were trying to interview as many people as possible to fill the vacancies. Those candidates that were deemed as "successful" would be invited back a couple days later to interview with principals. Also ESL, Elementary, and SPED certification candidates were required to take a Math Quiz, which was supposed to be graded on the spot. There were a lot of candidates that had to take the Math assessment or "quiz" , so it was not even possible for the recruiters handing out the quiz to grade them on the spot. The math quiz was based on STARR Math questions for grades 4-6. I thought the assessment was fair, but it also seemed like a tool to weed out many candidates. After I
    was finished with the test I went and signed in with another recruiter and was given a number. I went into a large room with chairs on one side of the room for candidates to sit in, while we waited to speak with a recruiter, and on the other side of the room there were about 10 -12 recruiters at tables that were awful close. When my number was called I proceeded to one of the table where I was meet by a recruiter. They asked me about three questions and told me I would hear back from them within 3 days as to whether or not I would be selected for the interviews with principals. After waiting for more than three days I never heard back from them, It's really a shame because I will never know whether or not I passed the math quiz, I would have at least hoped for a thanks but no thanks email, anything would have been great. It is just as well as I was offered a position with another district. I hope that next time HISD will get back with candidates and let them know something.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for HISD?
      Are you certified and if so what area(s)?
      Why do you want to become an educator?

Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Houston ISD in April 2010.

After HR deems you worthy, a recruiter contacts you to set up a "practice teach." This consists of a five minute lesson that is either filmed and sent into HR or given to a group of adults at the main office. If that goes well, you get invited to an interview session. The whole thing is based on the Haberman Foundation's Star teacher pre-screener.

Teacher Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Houston ISD in July 2008.

I put up my resume and was called in for an interview with the school principal. The next day they called and offered me the job and I accepted. Then I waited to be contacted by HR to turn in all the required paper work (transcripts, certifications, etc) and then attended the ABRAZO training before starting inservice the week before school started.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a particular incident involving a student? Discipline wise etc...   View Answer
    • Why do you want to be a teacher?   View Answer
    Salaries depend on years of experience.

Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Houston ISD in March 2008.

The interview was very formal with 3 interviewers present at the same time, firing their questions one by one. The atmosphere, however, was relaxed, and the questions were a composite of traditional and non-traditional. The second phase consisted of a sample teaching lesson to a random group of students. Afterward, the principal polled the students to see if I was a "good fit" for the position. Evidently, I was since I was given an offer a whole 3 months later.

Interview Questions
    • What are your thoughts about international studies?   Answer Question
    • What would you consider your personal classroom management style?   Answer Question
    There really is not negotiating phase when it comes to public school salaries. It all depends on your tenure.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Houston ISD in November 2007.

Met with Administrators from various schools and participated in a panel interview. After there recommendation, my resume was forwarded to principals that needed to fill positions and I interviewed at the schools.

Interview Questions
    • If you have your system in place for teaching that is proven to work and the principal wants you to change to another stlye, do you continue with your plans as usual, switch to what the prinicipal wants.   Answer Question