Interview Question

Interview San Francisco, CA

How many square feet of pizza is eaten in the US each year?

Answer

Interview Answer

25 Answers

800 billion Sq.ft

Ankit Kotak on Jan 14, 2014

A pizza is roughly 1 sqft. If the average american eats 1/3 of a pizza and eats pizza 3 times a month, that would mean 12sqft a year. Times 200M americans that gives you 2.4 billion sqft.

Gonzalo on Jan 17, 2014

Sorry, i must be stupid. I didn´t know pizza were made of feet.

Anonymous on Jan 20, 2014

2.4 billion

Derek on Jan 20, 2014

These market estimation questions are pretty common in IB and consulting; so this one is not an oddball. The critical part is the logical reasoning used to estimate rather than how accurate you are. Try these: how many diapers used everyday in Canada how many commercial planes are currently flying in US air space

truth on Jan 21, 2014

All of them.

Ryan H on Jan 21, 2014

Pizza is not served in square feet in the U.S.

w3techie on Jan 21, 2014

If i know & see it right, Pizza's are not square in shape so sq feet is not the correct UOM (Unit of measure). Pl correct ur question in terms of circle/diameter/radius & I shall revert with the answer. Trust your question is answered.

Prashant Sadrani on Jan 22, 2014

Too many

Neville on Jan 22, 2014

Unless i am going for a pizza delivery or pizza marketting job which Goldmann Sachs is not, i would blatantly say would either of us care?

KK on Jan 22, 2014

Need Input

Johnny 5 on Jan 23, 2014

How the hell would I know ? Let me do some research and get back to you on it.

Anonymous on Jan 23, 2014

MOST PIZZA IS SEVED IN THE SHAPE OF TRIANGLE (FOR A SLICE) OR IN THE SHAPE OF A CIRCLE - NEED TO DO SOME RESERACH AND THEN SOME MATH. LET ME GET BACK TO YOU ABOUT IT.

Anonymous on Jan 23, 2014

Way to much lousy square feet - that's for sure. Hungry ? What's your favorite pizza there Bossman ? You buy - I'll fly. Whadya say ?

pie r squared

Not enough.

Sarah on Jan 23, 2014

Assume average pizza is 16", or 8" radius. That is 0.66 feet. Square it and mulitply by 3.1 to about (0.4)*3.1 = 1.2 ft^2. Assume 100 million families in US eating one pizza 10 times a year (this is the weakest assumption) = 100,000,000*10*1.2 = 1.2 billion square feet of pizza, +-0.3 billion.

Dennis on Jan 24, 2014

$38 billion Annual pizza sales in America, according to Pizza Today 3 billion Number of pizzas sold in the U.S. each year, according to NAPO 350 Slices of pizza sold every second, according to NAPO 46 Slices of pizza the average American eats each year, according to Packaged Facts 23 Pounds of pizza the average American eats each year 93 Percent of Americans who eat pizza at least once a month 70 Percent of Super Bowl viewers who eat at least one slice during the game 251.7 million Pounds of pepperoni Americans consume each year 36 Percent of pizza orders that specify pepperoni as a topping 70,000 Number of pizzerias in the U.S., according to Pizza Today 24 Percent of those pizzerias owned by Pizza Hut, Domino's, or Papa John's 9,000 Number of pizzerias in New York 17 Percent of restaurants in America that are pizzerias, according to Food Industry News 40,010 Number of subscribers to Pizza Today, the leading pizza industry magazine

Irfan Ali Chaudhry on Jan 24, 2014

150 million square feet - Math is not the answer to your question - Google is. http://bit.ly/MoP5xR

Nikolaj on Jan 28, 2014

Well, I consume about 400 square ft by myself so...

Jocelyn on Jan 29, 2014

There are none, because I was live at Indonesia

Adikin on Feb 2, 2014

If I wanted the job, I'd say I would research the answer directly. If not found, I would use whatever statistics I can find. An example would be: (# of pizza's sold) times (average sq feet per pizza) times (average ratio of pizza eaten vs thrown away) If I didn't want the job, I'd say "I'm going to research this, then leave for the day, score some good acid, return 24 hours later and make up a number".

Brad on Apr 25, 2014

Around 30 Million in India

Surya Pratap Singh on May 31, 2014

The answer is none. Pizza is sold by volume. The correct unit of measure for volume is cubic feet, not square feet. You cannot eat something that has no volume.

Steve on Mar 22, 2015

Pizza eaters population * size of pizza in square feet

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.