Horizon Group Properties

www.horizongroup.com
  www.horizongroup.com

Interview Question

Office Assistant Interview Sacramento, CA

How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator?

Tags:
analytical
Answer

Interview Answer

53 Answers

there is a considerable size difference ... answer was open the door and tell it to go in..

Interview Candidate on Oct 9, 2011

I would put my elephant in a giant meat locker--it's technically still a refrigerator.

GBAD on Jan 6, 2012

Assuming the elephant is alive and must remain alive (until it freezes to death in the refrigerator), I like the idea of putting it into a giant meat locker.
If it is not against the rules to kill the elephant, then all you have to do is cut it up into small pieces.

T-Blake on Jan 7, 2012

I would put its trunk in, nothing is said that the WHOLE elephant must be in the refrigerator

Damien on Jan 8, 2012

Not sure how I would get an elephant into a regular sized refrigerator, but I would definitely provide a good response by sounding out my thought process to the person interviewing me, then I'd ask them how large this refrigerator is, and I'd ask them if there were any concerns of the elephant getting too cold inside as I wouldn't want to promote anything harmful or detrimental to this animal that would look bad on the company I work for. How's that!!??

Ron on Jan 9, 2012

Is this a living animal, a chocolate figurine, or a stuffed toy?

rlgreen on Jan 10, 2012

This question can't be asked on it's own. First the interviewer would ask some other questions about large African animals and a refrigerator. For example, "how would you put a giraffe in the refrigerator?". The answer: open the door, insert giraffe, close door.
Then, how would you put an elephant in the refrigerator? Open the door, take out the giraffe, insert elephant, close door. It's important to take the giraffe out.

bcm on Jan 10, 2012

bcm, closing the door would be completely unnecessary. :)
open the door, insert giraffe. done.

Andrew on Jan 10, 2012

It's all about problem solving and creativity.
1) Open door
2) Have elephant backup to the door
3) Show elephant a mouse
4) Elephant jumps backwards into refrigerator
5) Shut door

Robert on Jan 10, 2012

I'd use a really big blender:

John on Jan 10, 2012

I tell this joke to my 6 year old niece all the time. The answer is:

"Open the door and push really hard"

Don't overthink it!

Buzz Killington on Jan 10, 2012

The same way you eat an elephant... one piece at a time

DH on Jan 10, 2012

Why does everyone assume that the elephant is too large to go into the refrigerator? It could be a really small elephant, or a really large refrigerator.
I have head this series before... bcm mentioned the first two questions in the series. Then it continues with,
The Lion (King of the Jungle) calls all the animals to a meeting. All of the animals show up except one, which animal doesn't show?
Well, the elephant, because he is in the refrigerator. Now, on your way back from this meeting you need to cross a river. This river is home to the deadliest man eating crocodiles in the world. You have no boat, there is no bridge... How do you get across? You simply swim across. All the animals except the elephant, to include the crocodiles, are at the meeting with the lion...

KD on Jan 10, 2012

Robert is correct. there is a follow up question. How do you get a giraffe into a refrigerator?
1. Open door
2. Move elephant
3. Put giraffe in fridge
4. Shut door

Alphais on Jan 10, 2012

Questions like this are symbolic of things that actually do happen in work environments. When asked how to put something very large into something that is typically much smaller than that object a lot of discussion can go in to how to accomplish it when in the end it can't be done. People do that in business all the time and end up wasting a lot of time. When confronted with a task like this it is better to reassess the goal before embarking on a path of impossibility. The question isn't 'find a way to put an elephant into a refrigerator', it's 'how would you do it'.

A perfect example is the person who said cut it up into smaller pieces -- so you cut the elephant into a bunch of smaller pieces and then you still have the same amount of mass, just cut into smaller pieces. So you have wasted the time in cutting to then be faced with the same dilemma, which is how to get it in the fridge.

Paul on Jan 10, 2012

wood chipper, definitely.

kmfk on Jan 10, 2012

Unscrew the jar of peanut butter. The elephant will go in by itself.

djw on Jan 10, 2012

Build a refrigerator big enough to fit the elephant.

tony on Jan 10, 2012

The entire elephant doesn't need to be inside of the refrigerator. It's all about perception. Allow me to demonstrate: Step 1) Cut a hole in the back of the refrigerator. Step 2) Put an elephant behind the refrigerator and have it put its trunk inside the hole. Step 3) Wait until my wife opens the refrigerator and screams "There's an elephant in the refrigerator!" While it's true that the whole elephant is not in the refrigerator, I also learned a little bit in the last 25 years of marriage. I know that if my wife says that there's an elephant in the refrigerator, that it's useless and counterproductive to contradict her on the details. My motto: "Shut up and live long." ;-)

Hire me... on Jan 10, 2012

Shrink wrap it, of course. or freeze dry it. Either one will work. Think outside the bun, people. Everyone is too serious with these questions. The interviewer is testing your sense of humor, dummies.

Kraft on Jan 10, 2012

Desiccate the beast...
Where do we get the elephant from? If it is real why would the owner be prepared to let me put it in a fridge?
Is it real or just a kid's toy?
Do I take the fridge to the elephant or the Elephant to the fridge?
Adult or baby elephant? (if we just chop it up it's going to be the same volume so unlikely to fit in a standard refridgerator...If we assume it's a real elephant we could cremate it and put the ashes in a standard refrigerator.
But no-one said it needed to be a real elephant - take a toy elephant and put that in a fridge.

Simon on Jan 10, 2012

Open the door, remove the giraffe, and then place the elephant inside.

toadaly on Jan 10, 2012

It's for an office assistant job. If you want to get rid of the elephant you do like any other food you want gone, leave it out by the office coffee machine with a sign "free, take a piece". Then, assuming anything is left you pack it up neatly in a zip loc bag and put it in the fridge.

JL on Jan 10, 2012

Easy-peanuts in a Commercial fridge room or fridge truck...

Anonymous on Jan 10, 2012

Seems to call for some fresh Jello in the fridge.

Raw Bert on Jan 10, 2012

How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator?

- very carefully
 - however the elephant wants

DibblesMcPhee on Jan 10, 2012

Me: Open the refrigerator and ask a few interns to push it in.

Paul on Jan 10, 2012

I am surprised nobody said this:

"BY REMOVING THE HIPPOPOTAMUS". Fridge is SMALL enough to hold only one animal.

Mitesh S on Jan 10, 2012

Outsource it to BRICK countries.

HV on Jan 10, 2012

Sorry BRIC

HV on Jan 10, 2012

I would build an elephant-sized fridge.

pugboy on Jan 10, 2012

Open the door of the refrigerator and ask the elephant to get in :P
'Keeping it Simple' technology !

Barath on Jan 11, 2012

Tell me if you've heard this one before ...

1. Get a pair of binoculars
2. Get a pair of tweezers
3. look through the binoculars backwards
4. Use tweezers to pick up elephants and place in refrigerator

Dr. Doug on Jan 11, 2012

Guys, you are all missing the point ... the question is relative .... everyone is assuming the elephant is actually a "real" animal ... my grandkids play with plastic zoo amimals all of the time (yes Virginia, your plastic elephant is real) .... the question can't be answered, you don't have enough information about the elephant ... so, before something can me moved from one location to another (e.g. into the 'fridge), you need specifics about that something

Chemist on Jan 11, 2012

I would ask him nicely..to get into the refrigerator.

Charles Ellis Bruce on Jan 11, 2012

Cremate the elephant. The ashes would even fit in a dormitory fridge.

Thomas on Jan 12, 2012

The same as you do when you spell "way" with an "F" in it.........

Drumroll on Jan 12, 2012

It depends on the size of the elephant (and if it's alive), and the size of the fridge.

vcollogan on Jan 14, 2012

I would ask why does the elephant need to be in the refrigerator. Shows that you just don't following orders without question. The interviewers answer can tell you a lot. If the elephant is a cake then it is not going to just walk in.

kw on Jan 17, 2012

'How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator?'
By putting it in there as soon as it is born or while it's still in infancy... I think the elephant is symbolic of potentially troublesome issue in business. You have to 'freeze' them or tackle them before they grow too big or else you'll just end up pushing very hard without results.

Saad on Jan 22, 2012

No problem. My refrigerator was designed to accommodate elephants. I also have an appropriately equipped and sized forklift since there's no way I would freeze the animal to death.

Vlad on Jan 29, 2012

Ask politely.

Tom on Feb 7, 2012

Its a pity all you people don't have jobs, because then you wouldn't
have to be answering silly questions.

Tom on Feb 7, 2012

Um - anybody ask how big the elephant is???
Could be a Happy Meal toy for all we know!

Bee Kay on Mar 7, 2012

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly.

Stephanie on May 8, 2012

I make a dish named elephant legs(chicken legs)..elephant juice(mango)..
and place it in the fridge..
does anyone described ELEPHANT being an animal only!

Tushar on Oct 31, 2012

I will tell some XYZ company to make a large refrigerator to accommodate a ELEPHANT so that it can get into GUINNESS WORLD RECORD.

Arnab on Nov 11, 2012

just build the refrigerator big enough

CED on Nov 26, 2012

Dessicate the elephant first. Without water, the carcass will fit without requiring a frozen food factory or reinterpreting the question allowing the elephant to merely stick his nose (trunk) in.

Mike Landis on Nov 28, 2012

I would explain the functions and features of the fridge and how the would add to the quality of the elephant 's life, providing to him and his family. I'd offer to pick up the sales tax if he made the purchase today

Morgan on Dec 16, 2012

You take a toy elephant and put it in the fridge. The interviewer did not specify what type of elephant.

Herself on Apr 27, 2013

The correct answer to this riddle/joke is...

Interviewer: "How would you put an elephant in a refrigerator?"
Me: "You Take the F out of way"
Interviewer: ".....(pauses to think about it.) There's no F in way"
Me: "Exactly!"

explanation- There's No F in way= There's No F-in' way= There's no F-ing way= There's No F#*% way.

Anonymous on Apr 25, 2014

Just cut the HEEL from elephant.... ELEPHANT ---> PANT...

Remove E,L,E,H from ELEPHANT...... ;-)

Arun on Jun 19, 2014