Interview Question

Software Engineer Interview

How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in

the US?
Answer

Interview Answer

13 Answers

Search for the company using yelp's search engine and view the company's details.

Derek on Jan 21, 2014

Ask Siri

Pam on Jan 21, 2014

I would use the API and write a Python/MySql code to not only capture the total number of businesses, but also, systemattically get detailed information on each individual company by region.

TK on Jan 21, 2014

I'd search for a business selling business statistics based on business licenses (only way to get proprietorships in the mix that I know of). I don't think every business in the US is on Yelp...yet...

Anon E Mouse on Jan 21, 2014

I would contact the Yelp PR department to help me track down that information. Most PR and Advertising departments have access to these statistics and use them to sell ad space and promote the business.

Andy on Jan 21, 2014

I would not use Yelp.....I would use Department of Labor Stats, Census records and other more credible sources.

KDC on Jan 21, 2014

Using yelp is waste of time and energy for this particular query. I use Google instead.

rosimili on Jan 22, 2014

i don't...

=z= on Jan 22, 2014

Pull up some website that lists them all.

Anonymous on Jan 23, 2014

What the hell is YELP ?

Anonymous on Jan 23, 2014

You can view the search results for CA and then change the &start=990 to 990 to view the last few results, what I notice is it only shows the first 1000 business in CA, so it's clearly not showing all businesses, so Yelp couldn't be used.

Jevan Pipitone on Jan 27, 2014

What I mean is, it says "Showing 991-1000 of 83350" when searching for san francisco CA, but down the bottom it says page 100 of 100 and the last business number listed is 1000. http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA&ns=1&ls=f89b8737a9e121df#find_loc&start=990

Jevan Pipitone on Jan 27, 2014