Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in January 2012.

Interview Details – I came in for 3 separate interviews...1)Recruiter + Manager, 2) Recruiter + Manager + Department, 3) Recruiter + Manager + Associate Director + VP. It was time consuming since I was working and had to take off each time, I wish it was more organized.

Interview Question – What do you like to do outside of work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Research Technician Interview

Research Technician

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Interview Details – The interview process involves many individuals that you will be working with.

Interview Question – The questions consisted of the usual set of interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There little room for negotiation.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in August 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the lab and found their research fascinating. I presented my prior research and discussed with members of the lab. The HHMI principal investigator discussed my prior work, but we focused far more on what my plans would be if I joined the lab. I had interviewed at a couple other places and knew that I was interested in this one. My background didn't fit perfectly, but the PI saw an opportunity to gain expertise in a field that may help the lab.

Interview Question – It was all pretty straight forward for a postdoc in the life sciences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's a postdoc.

Director, Investments Interview

Director, Investments
Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in December 2010.

Interview Details – The process is handled in a very professional way, but it can take a long time and there's not often a clear timeframe over which decisions are made. Interviewers are quite pleasant and will offer water or coffee. Questions are conversational and don't follow any particular protocol. You aren't asked "typical" questions, they are always relate to specific duties for the position. You will be interviewed by someone from HR, the hiring manager and usually 2 or 3 others. Second interviews are to be expected and will be held with the hiring manager and more senior members of the department. Offers are usually given verbally, followed by an offer letter that is thorough in explaining the benefits of the position. Sometimes, however, there are communication issues between the hiring department/manager and human resources and this can cause some confusion. Once hired, you are taken through a thorough orientation.

Interview Question – Questions never come out of left field. Most questions will be specifically related to the job description and qualifications.   Answer Question

Research Specialist I Interview

Research Specialist I

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Interview Details – Submit resume and coverletter to PI any time, if he/she is interested in you, then, normally Skype -> on-site interview

Interview Question – Deep questions about your scientific background   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is usually determined. HHMI offers one of the best benefits in the States. Salary is not that negotiable.

Research Technician I Interview

Research Technician I
Madison, AL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in March 2009.

Interview Details – Initial interview was scheduled via email with the local administrative assistant. Initial interview was with direct boss (Research Specialist). Was not difficult. Most questions asked were typical for any review process; what is your greatest strength? etc.

Was asked, via email, to come back for a second interview. This time with the Private Investigator present. Process was very similar to the first interview. Nothing to difficult.

Negotiation Details – I was informed, again via email with the administrative assistant, that they would like to meet with me to discuss an offer. I accepted and a time was set. I met with the PI and he offered the position and provided a formal letter describing compensation. I took the letter, thanked the PI for his and their consideration, and let them know I would be considering the offer and would get back to them in the next three days with my response.

I took some time and submitted a formal counteroffer on the third day via email with the administrative assistant. At this point, I did not receive a response for over a week. I became a little worried and emailed again to make sure they received my counteroffer. They had and had submitted it to the PI for his consideration. A few days later, I received an email from the admin assistant stating thanks and that they were willing to meet in the middle and offer a few thousand away from what I was asking. I did not contemplate long. I responded that they had a deal. :)

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Ashburn, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in May 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by 1 day in person meeting with several professors. Informal non-structured style of interview.

Interview Question – There was a lot of emphasis on technical know-how of optics techniques.   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Office Assistant
Los Osos, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in September 2008.

Interview Details – Be prepared to fill out an application

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

Interviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Interview Details – The interview process was the norm for today, I interviewed with 6 people. Most questions were behavioral type questions. I received an offer of employment within 2 days, which is not typical.

Interview Question – What would you do in your first 30 days as an employee?   Answer Question

Worked for Howard Hughes Medical Institute? Contribute to the Community!