Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.1

Research Assistant Interview

Super fast hiring process! I had a job within 2 weeks. They were quick to email me back and set up a interview within a week of applying. I found the job on monster so I was shocked.

Interview Questions
    • Since I was handling mice, they asked me to hold a mouse (which I had never done before)   Answer Question
    They gave me a offer letter with 25/hour but said they messed up and could only pay me 19/hour

Research Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

The interview process involves many individuals that you will be working with.

Interview Questions
    • The questions consisted of the usual set of interview questions.   Answer Question
    There little room for negotiation.

Research Specialist I Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Submit resume and coverletter to PI any time, if he/she is interested in you, then, normally Skype -> on-site interview

Interview Questions
    It is usually determined. HHMI offers one of the best benefits in the States. Salary is not that negotiable.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in May 2012.

Phone interview followed by 1 day in person meeting with several professors. Informal non-structured style of interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was a lot of emphasis on technical know-how of optics techniques.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in January 2012.

I came in for 3 separate interviews...1)Recruiter + Manager, 2) Recruiter + Manager + Department, 3) Recruiter + Manager + Associate Director + VP. It was time consuming since I was working and had to take off each time, I wish it was more organized.

No negotiation

Director, Investments Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in December 2010.

The process is handled in a very professional way, but it can take a long time and there's not often a clear timeframe over which decisions are made. Interviewers are quite pleasant and will offer water or coffee. Questions are conversational and don't follow any particular protocol. You aren't asked "typical" questions, they are always relate to specific duties for the position. You will be interviewed by someone from HR, the hiring manager and usually 2 or 3 others. Second interviews are to be expected and will be held with the hiring manager and more senior members of the department. Offers are usually given verbally, followed by an offer letter that is thorough in explaining the benefits of the position. Sometimes, however, there are communication issues between the hiring department/manager and human resources and this can cause some confusion. Once hired, you are taken through a thorough orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Questions never come out of left field. Most questions will be specifically related to the job description and qualifications.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in August 2010.

I interviewed with the lab and found their research fascinating. I presented my prior research and discussed with members of the lab. The HHMI principal investigator discussed my prior work, but we focused far more on what my plans would be if I joined the lab. I had interviewed at a couple other places and knew that I was interested in this one. My background didn't fit perfectly, but the PI saw an opportunity to gain expertise in a field that may help the lab.

Interview Questions
    • It was all pretty straight forward for a postdoc in the life sciences.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's a postdoc.

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in March 2009.

Initial interview was scheduled via email with the local administrative assistant. Initial interview was with direct boss (Research Specialist). Was not difficult. Most questions asked were typical for any review process; what is your greatest strength? etc.

Was asked, via email, to come back for a second interview. This time with the Private Investigator present. Process was very similar to the first interview. Nothing to difficult.

I was informed, again via email with the administrative assistant, that they would like to meet with me to discuss an offer. I accepted and a time was set. I met with the PI and he offered the position and provided a formal letter describing compensation. I took the letter, thanked the PI for his and their consideration, and let them know I would be considering the offer and would get back to them in the next three days with my response.

I took some time and submitted a formal counteroffer on the third day via email with the administrative assistant. At this point, I did not receive a response for over a week. I became a little worried and emailed again to make sure they received my counteroffer. They had and had submitted it to the PI for his consideration. A few days later, I received an email from the admin assistant stating thanks and that they were willing to meet in the middle and offer a few thousand away from what I was asking. I did not contemplate long. I responded that they had a deal. :)

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Osos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Osos, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Howard Hughes Medical Institute in September 2008.

Be prepared to fill out an application

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

The interview was very quick