Huawei Technologies

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Huawei Technologies in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiting firm working on behalf of Huawei and got to interview with a Director and her boss, a VP/CMO in their Santa Clara office. The lady was very nice and cordial, but the guy was absolutely arrogant, and obnoxious. He kept answering his phone in the middle of the interview, and said that my work at my previous company didn't count for much at all. Finally, when it was my turn to ask him questions, I turned the tables on him, and told him that the Huawei's margins were way too thin to be competitive in the future (quoting from a WSJ article). He then went off on a rant about how the American media was biased against China, but then finally complimented me on doing good research on the company. The lady then got back to me 2 weeks later and asked me to come in for a 2nd round but I politely declined by saying that I had another job offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about your accomplishments in your previous job   View Answer

Interviewed at Huawei Technologies

Interview Details – Application usually online, mostly through Jobstreet. Standard process is for HR to vet applicants with relevant hiring department. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by HR first, then interviewed by hiring department. Third interview is pretty much a formality, by director of hiring department. HR will then negotiate salary with the candidate.

Interview Question – Huawei's ideal employees are young, speak Mandarin, prepared to travel at the shortest notice, to the remotest of places, and stay there for the longest of tenures, for as little pay as possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Make sure you get a good salary to begin with, as increments are hard to get.

Interviewed at Huawei Technologies

Interview Details – Planning for the interview started with a recruiter contact me through linked in.
The interview was setup with their director of PM - who is based in US, but deputed from China
Timing was flexible, but it got postponed due to mutual unavailability
The interview itself was less than co-ordial
The role sounded secondary to R&D based in China. Travel to China was reqd, but thats not a big surprise
Surprising that customers are in the US, but still decision making seemed to be based in mainland

Interview Question – None of the Qs were unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Huawei Technologies in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred into Huawei through a former collegue. Huawei management was very interested in my experience and they called same day i sent my resume via email. I was in the next day for interviews. They interviews went fine, good actually. Fairly typical questions for product management, covering both functional skills and industry knowledge. The interviews ended with a question from the senior manager asking me to email my thoughts on how to enter the US market. I also spoke with HR before I left. I did my due deligence and sent my email with my thoughts. I never heard back from Huawei, even after repeated emails to the HR manager.

Interview Question – What are my thoughts on how Huawei can best enter the US cable market.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Product Manager

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Huawei Technologies in April 2010.

Interview Details – Require to fill in employment form before interviewing. Interviewer came from mainland China, communication was abit of a challenge. Majority of the interview was going through the CV, literary line by line, trying to identify faults in the CV. Before ending, interviewer stated HR will contact me if successful otherwise NO call.
I found out my interview was unsuccessful after a week from chasing up with HR. Try to get some feedback from HR but had a difficult time trying to speak the HR. It seems HR never answer his phone, both mobile and desk phone. Very frustrated with the company, poor interviewing process and very unhelpful HR department.

Worked for Huawei Technologies? Contribute to the Community!