Huawei Technologies

Huawei Technologies Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

2.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter. I did two rounds of phone interview, quite easy questions. I did not get a fair idea of the position but looked like there are many open positions available

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any question difficult in particular. General computer science questions   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Strategic Business Development (Santa Clara, CA) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in September 2012.

First and foremost, I am really glad that I perused Glassdoor.com before even interviewing with Huawei. I did so quite extensively (eg. the employee opinions section, the interview feedback section, the salaries section, etc).

That being said, I must say that I do in fact agree with the vast majority of unflattering opinions and cautionary advice posted on this site regarding Huawei by its employees and those that interviewed with Huawei US.

This is how it went for me:

• I had applied for this role, where the candidate would oversee M&A activity and various other Biz Dev efforts for the R&D division with an emphasis on the enterprise segment based out of the Santa Clara office;

• A recruiter contacted me to set-up a 1:1 phone discussion with the hiring manager (VP of Strategy, a former Cisco guy);

• The discussion started off fine, but as we progressed, and like many of you have posted on this site, this VP was also extremely evasive, clandestine, secretive and misleading as to Huawei’s operations in the US;

• I can understand that due to obvious non-disclosure clauses in place, he might not have been able to share with me strategy and vision, but my questions were very generic based on the job description. For example:

My question: The fact that the US Government has banned Huawei US from making acquisitions in the US of both private (VC/non-public) and public entities, how do you expect this candidate to source M&A targets?

His response: We will try to work around this. No further explanation.

My question: The widely reported fact that Symantec called-off its Joint Venture with Huawei due to grave concerns raised that Symantec couldn’t bid on federal contracts because of its partnership with controversial Huawei. Would this pose a problem for partnerships?

His response: I don’t think so. No additional elaboration.

My question: Recently, the Australian government prohibited Huawei from bidding on a $38B broadband contract and the US Government is doing likewise because they are leery of Huawei’s close ties to the Chinese government. How do you expect the candidate to strike deals with domestic service providers?

His response: I am not sure, but we have to think of something. He then quickly changed topics.

My question: You mentioned that you have been involved in “many M&A deals” for Huawei of US based targets. Can you name some of the deals that are public information?

His response: I don’t know of any right-off my head. The Q&A was verging on complete absurdity and ridiculousness – I just stopped right there.

The VP indicated that he would get back to me with feedback, but of course, Huawei US (and him) being utterly unprofessional, discourteous, disingenuous and irresponsible, I not at all surprised I didn’t hear back from him or the recruiter.

Fortunately, for me, while I was interviewing with Huawei, I was also interviewing for a senior Corporate Development role at this large cap Bay Area F500 tech that is heavily active in the M&A cycle. I was made an offer and I accepted. I am glad Huawei didn’t work out for me. Being associated with a company such as Huawei that is widely tarnished in the press for its surreptitious ways would’ve been damaging to my impeccable career. Interview (and work) with Huawei at your peril.

Interview Questions
    • Can you share some of your previous industry contacts with Huawei, if hired?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in May 2012.

Dumb and ill-informed by American standards. Good intentions aside, they have difficulty finding qualified talent to run the show. Not worth the trouble to interview here.

Simple.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in March 2012.

phone interview followed by in person interview followed by telepresence interview with China team

Interview Questions
    • some basic C++ and C questions and mostly on the resume and domain knowledge.   Answer Question
    • china team asked every thing in my resume, so be prepare to answer any questions on the domains mentioned in resume.   Answer Question
    thir offer is better than my previous base salary, so there was not much room to negotiate

CTO- User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in December 2011.

interviewed by manager only

Interview Questions
    • why work for a chinese company run from china   View Answer
    mediium

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in November 2011.

It was pretty easy. Just met few people from US office and had conference call with Team Leader from China to brief them over my resume! No difficult questions...:)

Very rigid. Not much room to ask for more $$

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in October 2011.

Pleasant. Did not ask any question regarding my current job/project. General discussion on past experience and approach to problems in my field of work.

Once you give your current compensation, they will typically match it and throw in 2/3 yr sign on bonus. Take care to give your complete total comp, not just salary and bonus. Because Huawei does not have RSU/stock option/ESPP etc.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Huawei Technologies in September 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiting firm working on behalf of Huawei and got to interview with a Director and her boss, a VP/CMO in their Santa Clara office. The lady was very nice and cordial, but the guy was absolutely arrogant, and obnoxious. He kept answering his phone in the middle of the interview, and said that my work at my previous company didn't count for much at all. Finally, when it was my turn to ask him questions, I turned the tables on him, and told him that the Huawei's margins were way too thin to be competitive in the future (quoting from a WSJ article). He then went off on a rant about how the American media was biased against China, but then finally complimented me on doing good research on the company. The lady then got back to me 2 weeks later and asked me to come in for a 2nd round but I politely declined by saying that I had another job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your accomplishments in your previous job   View Answer