Hub Group Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

2.5

IT Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hub Group (Oak Brook, IL).

Interview

Quick turn around from the online application. After that it took weeks for an in person interview and over a month to set up a final interview. Don't expect to hear back unless you have the job or their 1st choice falls through. Very nice, polite, but exceptionally disorganized group.

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hub Group.

Interview

Easy,
    Phone interview- basic about myself
    Face to Face- Technical and Behavioral questions
    Straight forward interview about how you are. Mostly to see if you fit in the group of people who work there.

Highway Solutions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hub Group (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

I applied and it took them a little over a month to respond asking for an interview. I came in on a Friday and interviewed with a panel that included the director of highway solutions, senior director of logistics operations, and the team leader. This lasted about 45 minutes. Very typical questions like why I was interested, what I knew about the company, and previous experience questions. After I interviewed with this group right after, I also interviewed with the senior director of highway solutions 1 on 1. Again, not a hard interview. He questioned my education and how I felt it would help me on the job, typical interview questions. my first interview was on a Friday, that next Monday I was contacted about a 2nd interview over the phone, here I was asked questions that went into more detail and whether or not my skills was a match. The interviewer afterward critiqued my interview and told me he would recommend me for a job offer. From the 1st interview to the job offer it took about 8 days, however, again it took them a month from the point of applying to the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Very typical questions. "How did you hear about the company" "what interests you about the industry" "tell me about your self" "How will your ______ experience help you in this field"   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me what I required in pay, and they met it.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hub Group (Oak Brook, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Once you apply make sure you contact the hiring manager via email or LinkedIn as this will get you into the door faster.
    1 - Phone Screen from HR (they seemed very unorganized on the phone)
    2 - In person interviews with 2 people at the same time
         a. Interview with your hiring manager
         b. Interview with your hiring managers supervisor
    3 - Second in person interview with 2 people at the same time
         a. Interview with the creative manager of marketing
         b. Interview with the director of marketing (this person is located remote and will be on the phone)

Interview Questions

• If you could be any shoe, what would you be and why?
      Do you play fantasy football?
      What is your favorite color?
      What are your goals?
      Why do you want to work for this company?
      Do you know anything about Hub Group?
      What is the definition of a brand in your own words?
      Give me a time of a difficult situation and how did you overcome it?
      Could you tell me a little about yourself?

Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hub Group in May 2014.

Interview

You initially do a phone interview to confirm you are a good fit for the position. After the phone interview, they will set you up on a face to face interview. You then answer a series of questions that are general interview questions. When donev they will tell you they will notify you upon reaching a decision rather you are a good fit or not.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hub Group (Downers Grove, IL).

Interview

HR phone screening. Invite to interview. Interview. Phone call. Offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard textbook questions. During my interview I just kept talking about my leadership experience. I worked at a rail facility prior so I had some very limited transportation knowledge. Just google some transportation jargon, any sort of expressed interest in transportation will make you stand out.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Inter Interview

Interview

Hiring process was very laid back. I had an initial phone interview and then they called me a few days later to do a face to face interview which took about 25 minutes. I received a call a week later to say I received the internship.

Pricing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hub Group.

Interview

Not very organized and there was no follow up.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hub Group (Downers Grove, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied for this position online and they actually did get back to me pretty quickly for a phone interview. That unfortunately, was the high point. The phone interview took 10 minutes and overall was very easy. What should have been a red flag for me is that they could not figure out what the job title was that I was applying for. The website said that I was applying for a marketing specialist position. The confirmation e-mail said that I was applying for a marketing analyst position and then the HR associate who called me told me I was applying for the marketing support analyst position. I got an interview for that Tuesday and the time that we agreed on was 10 AM. I then get that confirmation e-mail saying the interview was at 2 PM. The day of the interview comes up and around 11 AM, I get a phone call from the same HR associate saying that the interview has to be rescheduled due to staff meetings. I said that I was fine with that and we rescheduled it for that Friday. I did try to contact the HR associate because I had some questions about the paperwork, but found it impossible to get in contact with her as she never answered the phone or return my messages. Apparently, she gets in contact with you and not the other way around. The interview day comes and I do end up getting to go. I did arrive two minutes late due to getting lost in the building but one of the managers assured me that it was fine and that it happened a lot. I guess it was casual Friday because I was by far the best dressed person there with my suit. I go into a conference room with the director and senior marketing manager. Throughout the whole interview, I felt like my candidacy was never taken seriously. I definitely felt like a filler candidate as both the interviewers were too busy looking at their Blackberry phones rather than listening to what I was saying. The one interviewer was asking irrelevant questions based on the position ("Why is a manhole cover round instead of square? and "If you were a car, which one would you be and why?") The interview only took 40 minutes and when it was over, they said that I would be contacted if there was to be a second interview. I knew that I would never be contacted and thanked them for their time. At least I didn't get lost on my way out.

Interview Questions

• Why is a manhole cover round and not square?   2 Answers
    • If you could be a car, which would you be and why?   Answer Question

Inter-modal Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Hub Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2012.

Interview

First you will meet with Regional Manager and Intermodal Manager, they will ask you about your logistics experience, and what you do at your former/current job to see if you have the necessary skills to be successful at Hub Group, examples: Attention to detail, time management, multitasking, and handling service failures. Then the VP of the office will come in and basically pitch you on why you should work at Hub Group because you have been deemed a good fit. If they VP comes in during your interview its a good sign because otherwise he will not waste his time.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a service failure that was not your fault?   1 Answer

Negotiation

After the initial interview it took a month before they called me to offer the job, I found out while working there that it takes a long time for them to get new position approved by Executive Management.