Hubspan Interview Questions & Reviews

3 interviews

3.7

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Hubspan in August 2010.

I applied to Hubspan through a Craigslist posting, if I recall correctly. The job req. was pretty standard for a Software Test Engineer position, and I had no one recommending me within the company. The phone screen was also pretty standard. The part I found surprising was the interview process.

I met with 5 people - 2 groups of 2 for an hour each, then about 40 minutes with 1 individual. Two of the five people I met with had a typical interview attitude - posing questions, answering if not encouraging questions, fostering conversation, and whatnot. The other 3 people were the stone faced doubting types - to the point that the interview felt downright hostile.

Everything on my resume required some kind of proof or test. Everything I said required more detail. They were very focused on my ability to name specifics on the fly, frequently rushing me to come up with examples. One of the interviewers even started arguing with me at one point - on how to apply Scrum methodology. I shared my understanding of the philosophy of Agile Development, and he told me I was wrong and told me what the "Correct" answer was. When trying to explain I didn't agree and why, he repeatedly interrupted to inform me it wasn't a philosophical point, I was simply wrong. The literature says otherwise.

I decided less than halfway through the interview process I wasn't interested in working there. They didn't try to make the interview a pleasant experience, to give me insight into what it was like to work there, or to put the company's best foot forward. I was left concluding it was a company filled with overworked people without social skills or nice people.

I considered walking out halfway through - having seen the 2nd half of the interview, I wish I had.

Technical Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Hubspan in January 2011.

Overall my impression of Hubspan is that of a conflicted, indecisive and incredibly internal-politics driven company who is unable to keep even their basic promises to potential employees.

I applied to Hubspan from a listing on indeed.com. I was contacted by the recruiter about two weeks later. We setup a phone screen for the next day. The phone screen with the recruiter was approximately 30 minutes and went well, typical questions about background and relevant history for the job as Technical Manager. The recruiter contacted me the next day to setup another phone screen with the hiring manger. The phone screen with the hiring manager lasted approximately an hour and also went well. We covered many of the same basic questions but also discussed the challenges facing the department. The hiring manager took this time to basically complain about the past person in the role (they were a bad fit) and about the competing forces within the company and where the technology support department was going. I presented ideas which seemed to be well received and the call ended on a good conversational note.

The following Monday I was contacted again and requested to come in for a round of 1:1 interviews with 3 or 4 senior leaders within the company at the VP and Director Level. I arrived for the interviews and was asked to wait for about an hour since my first interviewer was sick. Eventually they put me in a conference room with a subordinate and the sick interviewer via speaker phone. I proceeded to have 3 more interviews with various VPs, covering everything from my background to technical knowledge. Every interviewer was complaining about the other interviewers and making their case about what "we" need to do to change the working environment for the better. I was in the interview and felt as if I was in the middle of their political turf war already. One interviewer ended by saying "The next guy coming in is the head of the department who hates your department, so you have your work cut out for you." I was a bit taken aback; if this is what the interview is like, I seriously wondered what the working environment was like? The day ended with a 90 minute interview with the hiring manager/Director who discussed at length the problems they're having with some of their large customers and the internal politics preventing them from solving the problems. Our interview again ended on a very conversational tone and I felt confident about my performance as I was leaving.

The interviews lasted about 4 hours in total. My impression was that it was far from an ideal working environment, but I would be receptive to an offer if they made one. I was told by the recruiter that they had more interviews scheduled but they would let me know one way or another in a week and a half.

After 2 weeks of no contact, I emailed the recruiter again and indicated interest. I was told that my interviews went well but they had still had even more interviews to complete so had not made a decision but they would contact me in one week. Another week and a half later I contacted them and was told they had still not made a decision but they would have a decision soon, that I was still a front runner for the position, and they apologized for not not updating me and appreciated my patience.

This cycle of telling me I was still a prime candidate but they had not made a decision, setting a date to contact me again, and then neglecting to contact me by that date happened for 7 more weeks. At every contact they told me I was still being considered, however after the 7 weeks of being lead on, they simply stopped returning my emails and calls asking for status. I can only assume that I really was still a viable candidate in their mind after 2 months, otherwise they would've stated otherwise, but the fact that they couldn't keep their story straight was deeply troubling.

The messy and incoherent hiring process is symptomatic of internal problems within the company and frankly, I think may have dodged a bullet by not getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle it if your department's processes caused conflicts with another department within the company?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage morale in an environment where your team is overworked and underpaid and have had no career advancement in 3+ years?   Answer Question

Technical Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hubspan in March 2011.

Sent in a resume based on a posting on their website. Passed phone screen (just basic background questions) and went in one day to meet with 3 or 4 people - VP, Director level. This is a replacement for someone who after 3 - 4 years gave up and quit this job. Company appears to still need regular infusions of money from their investors. While the senior levels appear reasonably well paid, the rank and file seem underpaid and overworked. When we discussed what type of support engineers (not managers but front-line people) they mentioned that they can't pay great salaries so they have to settle for 'less the ideal people' (their words). Staff equipment is not regularly updated due to lack of funding (some people are using computers over 5 or 6 years old). I was told most people eat at their desk because everyone is so busy they can rarely get out to enjoy lunch. After the interview, I just wasn't interested in working here. In summary, an ok place if you're unemployed or need a job to survive but certainly not a 'silicon valley' type cool start-up.

Interview Questions
    • They were worried about how to interact/control the requests from their one major customer.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hubspan

Worked for Hubspan? Contribute to the Community!