Hughes Communications Interview Questions in Germantown, MD

Updated May 28, 2015

3.2

Billing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

The process is somewhat hectic. You interview with 5 people in various roles of management. Instead of sitting in a conference room I had to walk around to each person. That was a little strange but not a deterrent. Everyone was very professional and friendly.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD).

Interview

HR was very persistent in recruiting me. I had a phone interview with my direct report and everything went smoothly. The Director was very excited to meet with me. The HR recruiter informed me that I was coming in for an in-person interview to meet my direct report. Unbeknownst to me I was interviewing with the entire team (5 additional surprise interviews). The HR recruiter was supposed to meet me before my interview, but she was in a prior meeting that ran over by 30 minutes. I had no idea who was who and even asked one of the interviewers who and how many people I was meeting with because no one told me I had multiple interviews for that day. She laughed and said, "that's how things are around here with HR". I eventually meet up with the HR lady after the interviewers were over. She then informed me I needed a packet and forgot to give it to me. Needless to say I was qualified (1 of the final 3), but didn't get the best chance at the job because of a huge miscommunication about the interview process for that day.

This iced the cake, when the Marketing Administrator walked by and said good bye and good luck to me about my interview, the HR recruiter asked me who she was...

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Hughes Communications was having a college day. There were many college students. I had four interviews. Three of them were technical. I was asked to do some problems related. The first interviewer had me do a recursion problem. I was asked to validate a Mathematical expression using recursion. The second interviewer came and asked me the difference between TCP and UDP communications. The third interviewer just asked some basic questions. He didn't try to ask any technical questions. The last interviewer had me solve the Tower of Hanai problem and some other problems.

Interview Questions

• Difference between SOAP and REST   1 Answer

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, in person interview with 4 interviewers who talk with you individually, in their headquarters in Germantown, MD. All expenses for the interview are compensated by the company. Questions included college projects, work experience, behavioral questions and some coding. They just want to see your pseudocode and not perfect working code.

Interview Questions

• Write code to check if a given string of brackets is balanced   Answer Question

Applications Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process took about a week. First was a brief 30 min phone interview followed by 7 rounds of on-site interview. Questions were COMPLETELY based on what was there on my resume and a lot of behavioral questions with basic protocol related questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain your projects/ experience in so and so internship.   Answer Question
    • Describe yourself with 10 adjectives.   Answer Question
    • Give an example where you worked in a team and what were the core challenges that you faced while working in a team.   Answer Question

Entry Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Setup technical phone round two days later. Technical round on resume and projects and OOPS concepts. Selected for onsite. Flew to Germantown a week later. The onsite had 4 rounds after brief introduction with the HR. I was informed most of the teams do development in C and C++.

Interview Questions

• Conceptual Questions related to projects. White board questions on string,recursion,arrays and sorting. Asked output for a pointers program.
       Advise: Know resume very well.

Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

The interviewer asked about my projects in my programming classes then went over to ask some questions about data structures in C and protocols in IP suite model.

I asked about the job as, on the description, they only listed generalized explanation of the position.

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD).

Interview

I met with Hughes recruiter at Spring career fair at my school. Got a call about 2-3 weeks after for arranging a phone interview. The position was related to RF and DSP. The phone interview consisted of a series of question regarding the basic Path loss and propagation model, very basics of DSP and mostly about the course projects.

After 3-4 days, I was contacted by the HR with the invitation for attending the College Day event of Spring 2014 at Hughes. At Hughes, there were 4 back to back interviews, each being around 45 minutes.

The questions were mostly focused on mircowave link budget design, constraints that are considered during the system design, They asked a lot of basics about digital communication, and even asked the transmitter and receiver side using different modulation schemes. Asked a lot about the modulation schemes, BER curves and choosing modulation scheme for different conditions. A lot of questions about matched filtering and coherent detection.

The other set of questions included were from DSP: Difference between FIR and IIR, linear phase and group velocity, advantages and disadvantages of IIR and FIR filters and situations in which one is better than other.

Most of the interviews were dedicated solely for the projects on resume. Be well prepared for them.

Exactly after 1 week i received information from the HR that Hughes was interested in giving me full time employment.

Interview Questions

• None if you are well prepared   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was the only job I had and the offer was quite decent.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied in a college career fair, two weeks later got a phone interview, and 3 more weeks later went to Maryland to participate College day event. Four rounds interviews with four different people, and 45 minutes for each. My first interviewer was later for half an hour, and when he finally show up, he took a lot of food and start to have breakfast, asked me about n-queens puzzle. The second interviewer seems disagree about no matter what I said, he asked me about 7-layer network architecture, I said I am more familiar with 5 layer architecture, he looks like shocked and said I do not need to explain it, no one use 5 layer. The third guy prepare a paper of questions about a wide range of questions, bit manipulation, describe pointer to a person with no cs background, what to do if one of their client said their network went down. The fourth interviewer seem do not want to talk, talked a little bit about daily life and then finished.

Member of Technical Staff II, Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hughes Communications (Germantown, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

It was very casual. They have asked basic questions, mainly on Java and SQL.
    They have asked behavioral questions too. It should be easy to crack the interview with minimal preparation