Hughes Communications Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014
32 interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2014.

Hiring Process was easy. Applied through website and got call from HR to setup phone interview.
    After 19 days, had lost hopes and received call from same HR for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews had 4 face to face (one on one) technical interviews. I would say its more into conceptual than coding. All four of them were happy with my experience and technical skills / projects. I was told that, i would be notified soon.
    Its been more than 5 weeks and I haven't heard from them yet, not even a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Questions were easy.   View Answer

Software Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2013.

The interview process started with a phone interview, followed by an onsite interview.
    The phone interview had technical questions based on the resume.
    The onsite interview had four rounds, each round focused on different technical skills some of which
    were:
    MySQL, PL/SQL and OSI stack.
    Other questions were on college projects.

Member of Technical Staff I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in June 2010.

Initilally recruited from college. Had short interview with the recruiting engineer on campus. The interview was technical but fair. Followed by on site interview where all other candidates are invited. Sat in a room and three engineers of different levels came to interview me. The process took half a day. About half of the questions were technical

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate, was happy with offer.

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications.

I met with Hughes recruiter at Spring career fair at my school. Got a call about 2-3 weeks after for arranging a phone interview. The position was related to RF and DSP. The phone interview consisted of a series of question regarding the basic Path loss and propagation model, very basics of DSP and mostly about the course projects.

After 3-4 days, I was contacted by the HR with the invitation for attending the College Day event of Spring 2014 at Hughes. At Hughes, there were 4 back to back interviews, each being around 45 minutes.

The questions were mostly focused on mircowave link budget design, constraints that are considered during the system design, They asked a lot of basics about digital communication, and even asked the transmitter and receiver side using different modulation schemes. Asked a lot about the modulation schemes, BER curves and choosing modulation scheme for different conditions. A lot of questions about matched filtering and coherent detection.

The other set of questions included were from DSP: Difference between FIR and IIR, linear phase and group velocity, advantages and disadvantages of IIR and FIR filters and situations in which one is better than other.

Most of the interviews were dedicated solely for the projects on resume. Be well prepared for them.

Exactly after 1 week i received information from the HR that Hughes was interested in giving me full time employment.

Interview Questions
    It was the only job I had and the offer was quite decent.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Talked to them at my school's career fair, got a call a week later to schedule a phone interview with a manager. Got a call back a month later and accepted offer through email. The interview was really easy. Just went over my resume and was asked "What can you tell me about OOP" and that's when I explained and gave examples of polymorphism, encapsulation, virtual functions, etc.

Member Technical Staff Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Applied through their website and got an email within a week asking to setup a phone interview. The phone interview is mainly to know about your past experiences and to see if you know the basics of Networking. Few days after the phone interview I got an email asking to come for their college day. Had 4 back to back interviews. Be prepared to talk about your previous internships and projects. All the 4 interviewers spent a most of the time asking me questions about my projects etc. All the technical questions that they ask will also stem from your projects/internships. If you have mentioned any particular technology on your resume be ready to answer any question on that. Also be prepared to explain how exactly you wrote code for any part of your projects. Surprisingly they didn't ask too many algorithm questions but you should know data structures well. Only one interviewer asked me to write code. they also asked some very common interview questions on c++.

Just to sum it up, know everything that you have mentioned on your resume and be prepared to speak in length about your projects and past experiences.

MTS-2 Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

Contacted by HR for a phone interview. The phone interview was of 30 minutes approx with basic questions and project discussions off my resume. Selected for on-site interviews in their college day event, where about 8-10 college students are called on the same day.
    Had 4 interviews back to back of about 45 minutes each. Had breakfast at the beginning and lunch in the end. There were lab tours after the lunch for students who wanted to stay back.
    Got decision within a week with the offer and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How can we decrease the lag in online multi-player games since a very large lag satellite communication networks?   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but to no avail.

Anonymous Employee  in  Germantown, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Applied in a college career fair, two weeks later got a phone interview, and 3 more weeks later went to Maryland to participate College day event. Four rounds interviews with four different people, and 45 minutes for each. My first interviewer was later for half an hour, and when he finally show up, he took a lot of food and start to have breakfast, asked me about n-queens puzzle. The second interviewer seems disagree about no matter what I said, he asked me about 7-layer network architecture, I said I am more familiar with 5 layer architecture, he looks like shocked and said I do not need to explain it, no one use 5 layer. The third guy prepare a paper of questions about a wide range of questions, bit manipulation, describe pointer to a person with no cs background, what to do if one of their client said their network went down. The fourth interviewer seem do not want to talk, talked a little bit about daily life and then finished.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Hughes Communications.

They just asked how I did some of the projects listed on my resume and some basic questions like what is a BST and its complexity, what is the OSI model, what is the difference between TCP and UDP.

Testing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyattsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyattsville, MD

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hughes Communications in January 2014.

Is a new job testing antenna ( JUPITER L.N.B.)

Direct negotiation

Worked for Hughes Communications? Contribute to the Community!