Hughes Communications

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring Process was easy. Applied through website and got call from HR to setup phone interview.
After 19 days, had lost hopes and received call from same HR for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews had 4 face to face (one on one) technical interviews. I would say its more into conceptual than coding. All four of them were happy with my experience and technical skills / projects. I was told that, i would be notified soon.
Its been more than 5 weeks and I haven't heard from them yet, not even a rejection email.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Questions were easy.   View Answer

Software Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Software Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II
Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a phone interview, followed by an onsite interview.
The phone interview had technical questions based on the resume.
The onsite interview had four rounds, each round focused on different technical skills some of which
were:
MySQL, PL/SQL and OSI stack.
Other questions were on college projects.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions was PL/SQL related.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff I Interview

Member of Technical Staff I
College Park, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initilally recruited from college. Had short interview with the recruiting engineer on campus. The interview was technical but fair. Followed by on site interview where all other candidates are invited. Sat in a room and three engineers of different levels came to interview me. The process took half a day. About half of the questions were technical

Interview Question – Draw a schematic of an amplifier.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, was happy with offer.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II
Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications.

Interview Details – I met with Hughes recruiter at Spring career fair at my school. Got a call about 2-3 weeks after for arranging a phone interview. The position was related to RF and DSP. The phone interview consisted of a series of question regarding the basic Path loss and propagation model, very basics of DSP and mostly about the course projects.

After 3-4 days, I was contacted by the HR with the invitation for attending the College Day event of Spring 2014 at Hughes. At Hughes, there were 4 back to back interviews, each being around 45 minutes.

The questions were mostly focused on mircowave link budget design, constraints that are considered during the system design, They asked a lot of basics about digital communication, and even asked the transmitter and receiver side using different modulation schemes. Asked a lot about the modulation schemes, BER curves and choosing modulation scheme for different conditions. A lot of questions about matched filtering and coherent detection.

The other set of questions included were from DSP: Difference between FIR and IIR, linear phase and group velocity, advantages and disadvantages of IIR and FIR filters and situations in which one is better than other.

Most of the interviews were dedicated solely for the projects on resume. Be well prepared for them.

Exactly after 1 week i received information from the HR that Hughes was interested in giving me full time employment.

Interview Question – None if you are well prepared   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was the only job I had and the offer was quite decent.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Interview Details – Talked to them at my school's career fair, got a call a week later to schedule a phone interview with a manager. Got a call back a month later and accepted offer through email. The interview was really easy. Just went over my resume and was asked "What can you tell me about OOP" and that's when I explained and gave examples of polymorphism, encapsulation, virtual functions, etc.

Member Technical Staff Interview

Member Technical Staff

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through their website and got an email within a week asking to setup a phone interview. The phone interview is mainly to know about your past experiences and to see if you know the basics of Networking. Few days after the phone interview I got an email asking to come for their college day. Had 4 back to back interviews. Be prepared to talk about your previous internships and projects. All the 4 interviewers spent a most of the time asking me questions about my projects etc. All the technical questions that they ask will also stem from your projects/internships. If you have mentioned any particular technology on your resume be ready to answer any question on that. Also be prepared to explain how exactly you wrote code for any part of your projects. Surprisingly they didn't ask too many algorithm questions but you should know data structures well. Only one interviewer asked me to write code. they also asked some very common interview questions on c++.

Just to sum it up, know everything that you have mentioned on your resume and be prepared to speak in length about your projects and past experiences.

Interview Question – Questions on c++   Answer Question

MTS-2 Software Engineer Interview

MTS-2 Software Engineer
Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR for a phone interview. The phone interview was of 30 minutes approx with basic questions and project discussions off my resume. Selected for on-site interviews in their college day event, where about 8-10 college students are called on the same day.
Had 4 interviews back to back of about 45 minutes each. Had breakfast at the beginning and lunch in the end. There were lab tours after the lunch for students who wanted to stay back.
Got decision within a week with the offer and I accepted the offer.

Interview Question – How can we decrease the lag in online multi-player games since a very large lag satellite communication networks?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but to no avail.

Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in a college career fair, two weeks later got a phone interview, and 3 more weeks later went to Maryland to participate College day event. Four rounds interviews with four different people, and 45 minutes for each. My first interviewer was later for half an hour, and when he finally show up, he took a lot of food and start to have breakfast, asked me about n-queens puzzle. The second interviewer seems disagree about no matter what I said, he asked me about 7-layer network architecture, I said I am more familiar with 5 layer architecture, he looks like shocked and said I do not need to explain it, no one use 5 layer. The third guy prepare a paper of questions about a wide range of questions, bit manipulation, describe pointer to a person with no cs background, what to do if one of their client said their network went down. The fourth interviewer seem do not want to talk, talked a little bit about daily life and then finished.

Interview Question – n-queens puzzle in leetcode   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Hughes Communications.

Interview Details – They just asked how I did some of the projects listed on my resume and some basic questions like what is a BST and its complexity, what is the OSI model, what is the difference between TCP and UDP.

Interview Question – They asked details about TCB and PCB.   Answer Question

Testing Technician Interview

Testing Technician
Hyattsville, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hughes Communications in January 2014.

Interview Details – Is a new job testing antenna ( JUPITER L.N.B.)

Interview Question – Work for only electronic is a good training   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Direct negotiation

Worked for Hughes Communications? Contribute to the Community!