Hughes Communications

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.9

Entry Software Engineer Interview

I applied on their website. They called me 4 days after to schedule a phone interview.
    The interviewer asked me to talk about my background and some questions on Java (sockets, TCP, abstract class...) and C++ (files, inline functions...).
    It has been 3 weeks and they have not called back.

Software Engineer Interview

I met them at a career fair. Called me on-site for the college day event. The arrangements were really well organized. And the recruiter was really friendly. There were 4 back to back interviews. First one asked a few resume based questions and a few technical ones, the second did not want to ask anything- just asked me about some sports that I like and left. The third one was really rude- even though I answered the questions and attempted the ones I did not know- The guy only wanted to prove me wrong. The last one was a senior manager- very friendly, asked a few technical questions.
    After the last one, there was lunch and lab tours. Overall- good arrangements but the interviewers were not good people.

Entry Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hughes Communications.

I found that the interview process was much less technical than I had expected. Most of the time spent was explaining previous projects, how I implemented them, and the agile development process. Additionally I found the whole process to be very informal and relaxed. The final hiring manager asked some simple technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the process of setting up a TCP socket and connecting it to a server/client in C.   View Answers (2)

Entry Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2014.

Since I forgot when I applied to this position (maybe in University Recruiting), I don't know the process time. HR contacted me, and I had a phone interview three days later. The interviewer is very nice. I introduced myself and told him the skills used in some projects. Then began with the interview process. He asked some basic software questions, such as variable type and bubble sort. He also asked me about some knowledge in Internet Protocol and Wireless Networking, such as TCP/IP, UDP, socket programming and TDMA/CDMA/FDMA. He also asked my visa type. The conversation took about 40 minutes.

Entry Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hughes Communications.

First contacted by HR to fix an interview date. A manager then called 5 days later. The entire process was quick.

Interview started with a "tell me about yourself". Later I was asked basic C++ questions and questions about projects. Interviewer was very positive and encouraging.

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications.

I met with Hughes recruiter at Spring career fair at my school. Got a call about 2-3 weeks after for arranging a phone interview. The position was related to RF and DSP. The phone interview consisted of a series of question regarding the basic Path loss and propagation model, very basics of DSP and mostly about the course projects.

After 3-4 days, I was contacted by the HR with the invitation for attending the College Day event of Spring 2014 at Hughes. At Hughes, there were 4 back to back interviews, each being around 45 minutes.

The questions were mostly focused on mircowave link budget design, constraints that are considered during the system design, They asked a lot of basics about digital communication, and even asked the transmitter and receiver side using different modulation schemes. Asked a lot about the modulation schemes, BER curves and choosing modulation scheme for different conditions. A lot of questions about matched filtering and coherent detection.

The other set of questions included were from DSP: Difference between FIR and IIR, linear phase and group velocity, advantages and disadvantages of IIR and FIR filters and situations in which one is better than other.

Most of the interviews were dedicated solely for the projects on resume. Be well prepared for them.

Exactly after 1 week i received information from the HR that Hughes was interested in giving me full time employment.

Interview Questions
    It was the only job I had and the offer was quite decent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2014.

Hiring Process was easy. Applied through website and got call from HR to setup phone interview.
    After 19 days, had lost hopes and received call from same HR for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews had 4 face to face (one on one) technical interviews. I would say its more into conceptual than coding. All four of them were happy with my experience and technical skills / projects. I was told that, i would be notified soon.
    Its been more than 5 weeks and I haven't heard from them yet, not even a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Questions were easy.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hughes Communications.

They just asked how I did some of the projects listed on my resume and some basic questions like what is a BST and its complexity, what is the OSI model, what is the difference between TCP and UDP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Applied in a college career fair, two weeks later got a phone interview, and 3 more weeks later went to Maryland to participate College day event. Four rounds interviews with four different people, and 45 minutes for each. My first interviewer was later for half an hour, and when he finally show up, he took a lot of food and start to have breakfast, asked me about n-queens puzzle. The second interviewer seems disagree about no matter what I said, he asked me about 7-layer network architecture, I said I am more familiar with 5 layer architecture, he looks like shocked and said I do not need to explain it, no one use 5 layer. The third guy prepare a paper of questions about a wide range of questions, bit manipulation, describe pointer to a person with no cs background, what to do if one of their client said their network went down. The fourth interviewer seem do not want to talk, talked a little bit about daily life and then finished.

Member Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Applied through their website and got an email within a week asking to setup a phone interview. The phone interview is mainly to know about your past experiences and to see if you know the basics of Networking. Few days after the phone interview I got an email asking to come for their college day. Had 4 back to back interviews. Be prepared to talk about your previous internships and projects. All the 4 interviewers spent a most of the time asking me questions about my projects etc. All the technical questions that they ask will also stem from your projects/internships. If you have mentioned any particular technology on your resume be ready to answer any question on that. Also be prepared to explain how exactly you wrote code for any part of your projects. Surprisingly they didn't ask too many algorithm questions but you should know data structures well. Only one interviewer asked me to write code. they also asked some very common interview questions on c++.

Just to sum it up, know everything that you have mentioned on your resume and be prepared to speak in length about your projects and past experiences.