Hughes Communications

3.1

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications.

I met with Hughes recruiter at Spring career fair at my school. Got a call about 2-3 weeks after for arranging a phone interview. The position was related to RF and DSP. The phone interview consisted of a series of question regarding the basic Path loss and propagation model, very basics of DSP and mostly about the course projects.

After 3-4 days, I was contacted by the HR with the invitation for attending the College Day event of Spring 2014 at Hughes. At Hughes, there were 4 back to back interviews, each being around 45 minutes.

The questions were mostly focused on mircowave link budget design, constraints that are considered during the system design, They asked a lot of basics about digital communication, and even asked the transmitter and receiver side using different modulation schemes. Asked a lot about the modulation schemes, BER curves and choosing modulation scheme for different conditions. A lot of questions about matched filtering and coherent detection.

The other set of questions included were from DSP: Difference between FIR and IIR, linear phase and group velocity, advantages and disadvantages of IIR and FIR filters and situations in which one is better than other.

Most of the interviews were dedicated solely for the projects on resume. Be well prepared for them.

Exactly after 1 week i received information from the HR that Hughes was interested in giving me full time employment.

Interview Questions
    It was the only job I had and the offer was quite decent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2014.

Hiring Process was easy. Applied through website and got call from HR to setup phone interview.
    After 19 days, had lost hopes and received call from same HR for onsite interviews. Onsite interviews had 4 face to face (one on one) technical interviews. I would say its more into conceptual than coding. All four of them were happy with my experience and technical skills / projects. I was told that, i would be notified soon.
    Its been more than 5 weeks and I haven't heard from them yet, not even a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Questions were easy.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in March 2014.

Applied in a college career fair, two weeks later got a phone interview, and 3 more weeks later went to Maryland to participate College day event. Four rounds interviews with four different people, and 45 minutes for each. My first interviewer was later for half an hour, and when he finally show up, he took a lot of food and start to have breakfast, asked me about n-queens puzzle. The second interviewer seems disagree about no matter what I said, he asked me about 7-layer network architecture, I said I am more familiar with 5 layer architecture, he looks like shocked and said I do not need to explain it, no one use 5 layer. The third guy prepare a paper of questions about a wide range of questions, bit manipulation, describe pointer to a person with no cs background, what to do if one of their client said their network went down. The fourth interviewer seem do not want to talk, talked a little bit about daily life and then finished.

Testing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyattsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyattsville, MD

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hughes Communications in January 2014.

Is a new job testing antenna ( JUPITER L.N.B.)

Direct negotiation

MTS-2 Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

Contacted by HR for a phone interview. The phone interview was of 30 minutes approx with basic questions and project discussions off my resume. Selected for on-site interviews in their college day event, where about 8-10 college students are called on the same day.
    Had 4 interviews back to back of about 45 minutes each. Had breakfast at the beginning and lunch in the end. There were lab tours after the lunch for students who wanted to stay back.
    Got decision within a week with the offer and I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How can we decrease the lag in online multi-player games since a very large lag satellite communication networks?   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but to no avail.

Member of Technical Staff II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

Talked with Hughes people in school career fair, got a call two weeks later to schedule an phone interview, asked some general questions and some easy questions about hash table, linked list, socket programming. Received an email about on-site in one week, 4 rounds of interview in the same day, tech questions: quick sort, merge sort, time complexity, shortness of recursive calls, mutex, threads, network protocols like RIP, OSPF, CMDA call process

Interview Questions
    • How to avoid dead lock, detailed process of CDMA call process   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

I was invited to the College Day. The welcome reception was the night before the formal interview, which gives the interviewees the opportunity to talk with their interviewers and get familiar with the company's culture.
    The formal interview includes 4 rounds. None of the 4 rounds are technical interviews, just briefly introduce the previous projects.

Network Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Hughes Communications in October 2013.

I went to the so called College Day. It took almost 4 hours of the whole interview. And I got rejected 3 days after.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult because those guys kept asking system and software questions even I applied network engineer jobs.   View Answers (2)

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Once your interview is set up with the HR through e-mail, the HR is the person that starts off your interview process with the overview and details of the company. After that, you are interviewed one on one by 4 or 5 people for about 30 minutes at a time, lasting about 4 hours in total. Typical Redhat, Networking, RF questions. Definitely seemed like a good place to work at with good people and a nice work culture.

Interview Questions
    • The majority of the questions were Linux and CCNA based with some RF questions. The more difficult questions that I found were from the systems engineers whom were trying to be tricky. Basically, these questions were mathematical and logical, but presented in the manner that people tend to over think the answer and make it more difficult than it really is. This is very subjective though because it varied from systems engineer to systems engineer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Member of Technical Staff Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hughes Communications in May 2013.

The interview process started with a phone interview, followed by an onsite interview.
    The phone interview had technical questions based on the resume.
    The onsite interview had four rounds, each round focused on different technical skills some of which
    were:
    MySQL, PL/SQL and OSI stack.
    Other questions were on college projects.