Hulu Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

3.2

Manager - Workforce Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter 1 week later via email. Basic background questions on resume and situational questions. A couple hours later recruiter called me to schedule 2nd interview with the Director. Phone interview took place a few days later. More questions on background, gave overview of the position, questions weren't difficult. A week later a 3rd phone interview was scheduled with a Sr. Business Analyst and Workforce Analyst. Questions were more about what platform and strategies for scheduling that my current company was using to manage our workforce. What systems did we use, how did we come up with our schedules for our agents. The next day I received an email from the recruiter that they chose not to move to the onsite interview. She said the technical needs were out of scope for my experience. The overall process was smooth, the recruiter kept me informed and communication open. I wish I could have gotten more details on what technical acumen l lacked, but without the answer, I still have no hard feelings, and I would apply to a future position. It was a risk I was willing to take to relocate 2100 miles on my own to work for this company

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Initial phone interview was with the hiring manager and lasted about an hour. 2nd round was a Skype interview with a couple members of the Talent team that lasted about an hour and a half. The 3rd round was an onsite- I spent the day meeting with the team and the VP of Talent. Everyone was very friendly and professional. Amazing interview process!

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in June 2014.

Rude and unresponsive Recruiting team. Mishandled interview scheduling, misrepresented the position. Was reached out to by a Recruiter on LinkedIn. Had 2 interviews and then was never spoken to again. I reached back out for feedback as to what had happened or I could work on and was ignored by all the people I spoke to, and 3 other people on the Recruiting Team. Terribly unprofessional and just blatantly rude. No wonder so much talent have left.

Content Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hulu in February 2014.

Five different interviews, including peer evaluation, phone conversations with HR and with veteran managers/directors. I was in the middle of other process and they committed to give me an answer asap, but took them longer than what they had initially announced.

Interview Questions
    • They really insisted on why I wanted the job, making pretty clear that CPM contains a lot of administrative tasks. Not a great sales picth for their own position. They tried to make it very clear that Hulu is a really cool company, though.   Answer Question

Customer Support Advocate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Phone Screen with HR. Phone Interview with someone in Customer Support. On-Site interview. Writing samples required w/ application and throughout on-site interview. On-site interview was with multiple managers/supervisors and was a 3 hour process.

Ad Trafficker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in May 2014.

Everything went smooth and professional until the in-house interview. There's an Initial phone screen; then Phone Interview with a Campaign Manager; then an In-House interview. In-house is 4 or 5 back-to-back panel interviews of 2 people each, ranging from Ad-Traffickers to the department director.

Honestly, some of these interviewers just seemed moody, entitled, and gave sarcastic responses to some of my answers. Interview questions caught me a bit off-guard as well. Drill-down of background, hypothetical scenarios, and even a management knowledge exercise on a whiteboard.

Overall: It seemed a bit much just for an Ad-Trafficker role. Perhaps having just graduated, I was not experienced enough for this role.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe excel (or any data software) to a 7-year-old?

What qualities would your ideal manager have?
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Recruiter contacted me in Linkedin. And I did the 1st phone screen 10 days later. The next day I was told that I took the 2nd phone interview and scheduled it a week later. Didn't get the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1st phone:

Anagram problem, merge two sorted linked list, and the last ten minutes talked about LRU.

2nd phone:

The problem was easy to understand, but I believe the solution would be really long. I didn't get it right, so failed on here.

Given a string, parse it and return a string array. It's like a tokenizer, but the rules are too...

For exmple, string="abc(edf)hij{klmn}opq[rst]uvw"

The delimitors are (), {}, []. They are in pair. So output array:

["abc", "edf", "hij", "klmn", "opq", "rst", "uvw"]

That's the rule 1. The rule 2 is, if any two consecutive "(" means escaping, that is "((" is actually output char "(". It's not part of the delimitor. Similar to ")", "{", "}", "[", "]".

abc(e))df) => ["abc", "e)df"], since the "))" outpus ")".

Rule 3: if "{" is inside a delimitor pair (), then "{" isn't part of the delimitor. Output it as is.

abc(e{df}}g) => ["abc", "e{df}}g"]

So, parse the given string and assume the given string is always valid and parsable.

I think state machine is a good direction. But I didn't finish it.
        Answer Question

Editorial Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in February 2014.

Handed in my resume at a university fair and was contacted about a week later for a phone interview. The interviewer was very nice and laid-back, and it went well. However, the position was mostly based on knowledge of social media outlets and experience in blogging, while my background was more writing related.

Interview Questions
    • What blogs do you first check when you get up in the morning?   Answer Question

Manager, FP&A Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Spoke with the first recruiter about the position. Most of the interview was focused on my background and how I would fit in an entertainment business given my prior background. After they were satisfied with my response, moved on to my management style and experience. This is where they really dug in and started to ask more in depth questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't hard here. Really wanted to understand what my management style was and how I manage different people.   Answer Question

AP Coordinator Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Total process took about 3 weeks. Initial phone interview with recruiter, then phone interview with an associate, then an on site interview with three of the team members. Questions were fairly general; mainly talked about my resume, personal experience, and why I wanted to work for Hulu. The entire process went smoothly and I thought they really liked me, however was disappointed to receive a rejection letter two weeks after my final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult. Very standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Hulu? Contribute to the Community!