Hulu

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.2

Coordinator Interview

Very unprofessional and inconsiderate. Emailed right away saying wanting to schedule phone interview. Took a few days to confirm, then was rescheduled 3 times, one of the times I was left waiting for over an hour - she didn't email me until a couple hours later, asking to reschedule again!! What a joke. Then once finally on the phone she was kinda rude. Said she would get back to me the very next day and never got back to me. I even emailed her twice to check the status.... Lost respect for Hulu after this horrible candidate experience.

Software Developer Interview

Overhyped ppl and company.. nt worth a try

Solved a coding question... Got a call for telephonic round...
    I coded 3 difficult level questions in 45 mins... I infact gave them solution fr all scenarios.. interviewer told me dat I just asked u this.. If I gave him a solution for all scenarios except for 1,is it wrong?
    During whole interview he was'nt even listening to me while I was coding and explaining my logic... 2-3 times I had to ask him whether he was online.. seem he was forced to take this interview.. and wasted my time!!
    As mentioned on this site.. for them only their solutions are right.. does'nt matter if u give them a better one...I wonder how do they even compare themselves to Google and FB
    HR is only good thing abt this company... they r v prompt!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in February 2015.

coding challenge followed by a phone call. The recruiter was extremely cooperative and quick to response. I stayed happy throughout the entire process. The interviewer sounded very intellectual and nice. Questions asked were challenging but based on basic algorithm/data structure. The ability to optimize and meet the constraints is crucial when answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • two string comparison, xml tree, hybrid data structure, number base   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu.

Took an online assessment which was supposed to be able to solve a hangman game. Very difficult and seemed like an unnecessarily long first-round interview question. It had an 8-hour time limit and was the preliminary challenge which filtered future candidates for the other interview rounds.

Associate Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hulu.

I have 1st phone interview, and 5 onsite interviews( 3 for algorithm coding problem, 2 for research project). For coding interview, each one contains one algorithm problem.
    phone interview: Given an interval, such as [4, 100], return the number of integers, which could not be divided by 3,5,7
    onsite interview:
    1) There are n shops in a street and each shop could give you a gift with value v_i. Yet, the limit is you can not get the i-1 and i+1 shop's gift if you have already get the gift from ith shop. Return the maximum value that you could have when you go along the street. Then the follow up is that the street has been changed to a circle.
    2) Given an array of integers, the position is called "perfect" if the value in this position is smaller than its neighbor. Return one of the "perfect" position. You must give an O(log(n)) time complexity algorithm.
    3) An algorithm design problem, something like 'black&white hat'
    Research interview:
    1) details about my previous project
    2) Some basic understanding about machine learning and data mining

Overall, the interview takes so long and you need to solve the coding problem quickly, give the optimal solution and coding it with bug-free. In addition, you need have to solve some problem regarding your intelligence, then your knowledge about your professional areas still matters. Now I am still on the waiting list.

Interview Questions
    • The problem regarding your intelligence, for instance, designing a method to solve a situation, such as 'black&white' hat   Answer Question

Customer Support Advocate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

Applied on their website and received an email from their recruiter 2 days later saying that they were very interested and impressed by my resume. Recruiter asked for my best available times later that week, I gave them. A day later he/she responds saying that they meant the next week not the current week but the person didn't acknowledge their mistake, which is fine. I gave a wide open availability for the following week. Received a phone interview from the recruiter the next week. Went very well took about 45 minutes. Answered standard questions like; best accomplishment, best supervisor and why, etc. I, believe, I answered all of the questions fairly well. By the end of the call I was told the salary amount being offered which is average for the type of position and I was told that I would be receiving an email detailing the next steps and schedule for my 1on1 interview with the supervisor for the said position as I had been moved forward in the process. I was pretty happy and thrilled. Two hours later I received a message from the recruiter saying that the "team" didn't think I was a good fit and didn't even want to do the next phone interview with me.

They really should have the hiring managers see the applicants resumes when the recruiters do before wasting people's time and guaranteeing an next step interview.

Software Engineering Interview

They email me a coding challenge and I have 8 hours to complete it. After a week I got reply that they gave me a phone interview. The interviewer asked some questions about hash table and other data structures. The question was not too hard, but I was not doing well.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hulu.

One hour phone interview with Hulu. Was asked one coding question and one design question. I thought I answered them pretty well, but got "Thanks but no thanks" email later from recruiter. The recruiter was very responsive.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me.

Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up.

However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions
    • Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

I submitted my CV on a campus career fair to Hulu. Then I received an email to finish a problem online within 1 hour. The problem is about data input and output. Since I am new to Computer science, and not proficient with data input. So I almost wasted all my time looking for how to load the data. The problem is as follows, I hope this might help.

Interview Questions
    • The problem gives you a sample input data file containing the all the employee-employer relationship information of a company. For example "Peter, John, 2013, software developer--John, NULL, 2012, CEO--David, Peter, 2014, technician..." means there are 3 people int this company (segmented by '--' ), the first 1 is Peter, his boss is John, he entered the company in 2013 as a software developer. The second is John as CEO, with no boss, the third is David as technician, his boss is Peter. The problem is asking you to output a file with all the information in a hierarchic style.
      I selected C++ as my language. But I found it might be quite efficient if we use mysql in this problem.

View Answer