Hulu Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

3.2

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Hulu.

I have internship here before in BeiJing,so I got 3 onsite and a final interview. Most of them are algorithms and system design. I have to say that it's more difficult than Google.

Interview Questions
    • Their bar is comparable higher than google and facebook.   View Answer

Manager - Workforce Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter 1 week later via email. Basic background questions on resume and situational questions. A couple hours later recruiter called me to schedule 2nd interview with the Director. Phone interview took place a few days later. More questions on background, gave overview of the position, questions weren't difficult. A week later a 3rd phone interview was scheduled with a Sr. Business Analyst and Workforce Analyst. Questions were more about what platform and strategies for scheduling that my current company was using to manage our workforce. What systems did we use, how did we come up with our schedules for our agents. The next day I received an email from the recruiter that they chose not to move to the onsite interview. She said the technical needs were out of scope for my experience. The overall process was smooth, the recruiter kept me informed and communication open. I wish I could have gotten more details on what technical acumen l lacked, but without the answer, I still have no hard feelings, and I would apply to a future position. It was a risk I was willing to take to relocate 2100 miles on my own to work for this company

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied Hulu during our college career fair. Had a on-campus interview. It's one hour, two turns.

First, a woman interview me, gave me a sheet of code and let me write down what's the print result. I didn't recognize the language. The result is like a tree structure.
    Second turn has two coding questions. First question is giving you two sorted linked lists, merge them together. Second one is letting you implement a LRU Cache.

I had a bad time with the second guy, he seemed not happy with me during the entire interview.

Interview Questions
    • The LRU Cache is the most difficult one since I am not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied online in August, and was followed up by a recruiter after 1 - 2 days. Then I had a coding challenge online, which took me an hour to complete. On the same day, I received an email from my recruiter saying that they decided to move forward with me. I scheduled the phone interviews a week later. There were two rounds, which included coding, design and architecture. The problems were not difficult, but covered basic data structures, problem solving approaches and computer fundamentals. Practicing yourself with the problems from topcoder, leetcode or codeforces would definitely help, but don't expect too much to encounter the exactly same problems in the interviews. The onsite interviews had same layout, but more design-oriented. I received a call from my recruiter the day after my onsite, and I was told that Hulu decided to extend me an offer. Overall, the whole interview process was enjoyable. And I was very impressed by their responsiveness.

Interview Questions
    • Design Hulu's backend services, how to scale, where are the pitfalls   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Initial phone interview was with the hiring manager and lasted about an hour. 2nd round was a Skype interview with a couple members of the Talent team that lasted about an hour and a half. The 3rd round was an onsite- I spent the day meeting with the team and the VP of Talent. Everyone was very friendly and professional. Amazing interview process!

Customer Support Advocate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Phone Screen with HR. Phone Interview with someone in Customer Support. On-Site interview. Writing samples required w/ application and throughout on-site interview. On-site interview was with multiple managers/supervisors and was a 3 hour process.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in June 2014.

Rude and unresponsive Recruiting team. Mishandled interview scheduling, misrepresented the position. Was reached out to by a Recruiter on LinkedIn. Had 2 interviews and then was never spoken to again. I reached back out for feedback as to what had happened or I could work on and was ignored by all the people I spoke to, and 3 other people on the Recruiting Team. Terribly unprofessional and just blatantly rude. No wonder so much talent have left.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Recruiter contacted me in Linkedin. And I did the 1st phone screen 10 days later. The next day I was told that I took the 2nd phone interview and scheduled it a week later. Didn't get the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1st phone:

Anagram problem, merge two sorted linked list, and the last ten minutes talked about LRU.

2nd phone:

The problem was easy to understand, but I believe the solution would be really long. I didn't get it right, so failed on here.

Given a string, parse it and return a string array. It's like a tokenizer, but the rules are too...

For exmple, string="abc(edf)hij{klmn}opq[rst]uvw"

The delimitors are (), {}, []. They are in pair. So output array:

["abc", "edf", "hij", "klmn", "opq", "rst", "uvw"]

That's the rule 1. The rule 2 is, if any two consecutive "(" means escaping, that is "((" is actually output char "(". It's not part of the delimitor. Similar to ")", "{", "}", "[", "]".

abc(e))df) => ["abc", "e)df"], since the "))" outpus ")".

Rule 3: if "{" is inside a delimitor pair (), then "{" isn't part of the delimitor. Output it as is.

abc(e{df}}g) => ["abc", "e{df}}g"]

So, parse the given string and assume the given string is always valid and parsable.

I think state machine is a good direction. But I didn't finish it.
        Answer Question

Ad Trafficker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in May 2014.

Everything went smooth and professional until the in-house interview. There's an Initial phone screen; then Phone Interview with a Campaign Manager; then an In-House interview. In-house is 4 or 5 back-to-back panel interviews of 2 people each, ranging from Ad-Traffickers to the department director.

Honestly, some of these interviewers just seemed moody, entitled, and gave sarcastic responses to some of my answers. Interview questions caught me a bit off-guard as well. Drill-down of background, hypothetical scenarios, and even a management knowledge exercise on a whiteboard.

Overall: It seemed a bit much just for an Ad-Trafficker role. Perhaps having just graduated, I was not experienced enough for this role.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe excel (or any data software) to a 7-year-old?

What qualities would your ideal manager have?
        Answer Question

Manager, FP&A Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Spoke with the first recruiter about the position. Most of the interview was focused on my background and how I would fit in an entertainment business given my prior background. After they were satisfied with my response, moved on to my management style and experience. This is where they really dug in and started to ask more in depth questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't hard here. Really wanted to understand what my management style was and how I manage different people.   Answer Question

Worked for Hulu? Contribute to the Community!