Hulu

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.2

Associate Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hulu.

I have 1st phone interview, and 5 onsite interviews( 3 for algorithm coding problem, 2 for research project). For coding interview, each one contains one algorithm problem.
    phone interview: Given an interval, such as [4, 100], return the number of integers, which could not be divided by 3,5,7
    onsite interview:
    1) There are n shops in a street and each shop could give you a gift with value v_i. Yet, the limit is you can not get the i-1 and i+1 shop's gift if you have already get the gift from ith shop. Return the maximum value that you could have when you go along the street. Then the follow up is that the street has been changed to a circle.
    2) Given an array of integers, the position is called "perfect" if the value in this position is smaller than its neighbor. Return one of the "perfect" position. You must give an O(log(n)) time complexity algorithm.
    3) An algorithm design problem, something like 'black&white hat'
    Research interview:
    1) details about my previous project
    2) Some basic understanding about machine learning and data mining

Overall, the interview takes so long and you need to solve the coding problem quickly, give the optimal solution and coding it with bug-free. In addition, you need have to solve some problem regarding your intelligence, then your knowledge about your professional areas still matters. Now I am still on the waiting list.

Interview Questions
    • The problem regarding your intelligence, for instance, designing a method to solve a situation, such as 'black&white' hat   Answer Question

Customer Support Advocate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

Applied on their website and received an email from their recruiter 2 days later saying that they were very interested and impressed by my resume. Recruiter asked for my best available times later that week, I gave them. A day later he/she responds saying that they meant the next week not the current week but the person didn't acknowledge their mistake, which is fine. I gave a wide open availability for the following week. Received a phone interview from the recruiter the next week. Went very well took about 45 minutes. Answered standard questions like; best accomplishment, best supervisor and why, etc. I, believe, I answered all of the questions fairly well. By the end of the call I was told the salary amount being offered which is average for the type of position and I was told that I would be receiving an email detailing the next steps and schedule for my 1on1 interview with the supervisor for the said position as I had been moved forward in the process. I was pretty happy and thrilled. Two hours later I received a message from the recruiter saying that the "team" didn't think I was a good fit and didn't even want to do the next phone interview with me.

They really should have the hiring managers see the applicants resumes when the recruiters do before wasting people's time and guaranteeing an next step interview.

Software Engineering Interview

They email me a coding challenge and I have 8 hours to complete it. After a week I got reply that they gave me a phone interview. The interviewer asked some questions about hash table and other data structures. The question was not too hard, but I was not doing well.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hulu.

One hour phone interview with Hulu. Was asked one coding question and one design question. I thought I answered them pretty well, but got "Thanks but no thanks" email later from recruiter. The recruiter was very responsive.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me.

Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up.

However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions
    • Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

I submitted my CV on a campus career fair to Hulu. Then I received an email to finish a problem online within 1 hour. The problem is about data input and output. Since I am new to Computer science, and not proficient with data input. So I almost wasted all my time looking for how to load the data. The problem is as follows, I hope this might help.

Interview Questions
    • The problem gives you a sample input data file containing the all the employee-employer relationship information of a company. For example "Peter, John, 2013, software developer--John, NULL, 2012, CEO--David, Peter, 2014, technician..." means there are 3 people int this company (segmented by '--' ), the first 1 is Peter, his boss is John, he entered the company in 2013 as a software developer. The second is John as CEO, with no boss, the third is David as technician, his boss is Peter. The problem is asking you to output a file with all the information in a hierarchic style.
      I selected C++ as my language. But I found it might be quite efficient if we use mysql in this problem.

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu.

I have internship here before in BeiJing,so I got 3 onsite and a final interview. Most of them are algorithms and system design. I have to say that it's more difficult than Google.

Interview Questions
    • Their bar is comparable higher than google and facebook.   View Answer

Manager - Workforce Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter 1 week later via email. Basic background questions on resume and situational questions. A couple hours later recruiter called me to schedule 2nd interview with the Director. Phone interview took place a few days later. More questions on background, gave overview of the position, questions weren't difficult. A week later a 3rd phone interview was scheduled with a Sr. Business Analyst and Workforce Analyst. Questions were more about what platform and strategies for scheduling that my current company was using to manage our workforce. What systems did we use, how did we come up with our schedules for our agents. The next day I received an email from the recruiter that they chose not to move to the onsite interview. She said the technical needs were out of scope for my experience. The overall process was smooth, the recruiter kept me informed and communication open. I wish I could have gotten more details on what technical acumen l lacked, but without the answer, I still have no hard feelings, and I would apply to a future position. It was a risk I was willing to take to relocate 2100 miles on my own to work for this company

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied Hulu during our college career fair. Had a on-campus interview. It's one hour, two turns.

First, a woman interview me, gave me a sheet of code and let me write down what's the print result. I didn't recognize the language. The result is like a tree structure.
    Second turn has two coding questions. First question is giving you two sorted linked lists, merge them together. Second one is letting you implement a LRU Cache.

I had a bad time with the second guy, he seemed not happy with me during the entire interview.

Interview Questions
    • The LRU Cache is the most difficult one since I am not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied online in August, and was followed up by a recruiter after 1 - 2 days. Then I had a coding challenge online, which took me an hour to complete. On the same day, I received an email from my recruiter saying that they decided to move forward with me. I scheduled the phone interviews a week later. There were two rounds, which included coding, design and architecture. The problems were not difficult, but covered basic data structures, problem solving approaches and computer fundamentals. Practicing yourself with the problems from topcoder, leetcode or codeforces would definitely help, but don't expect too much to encounter the exactly same problems in the interviews. The onsite interviews had same layout, but more design-oriented. I received a call from my recruiter the day after my onsite, and I was told that Hulu decided to extend me an offer. Overall, the whole interview process was enjoyable. And I was very impressed by their responsiveness.

Interview Questions
    • Design Hulu's backend services, how to scale, where are the pitfalls   Answer Question