Hulu Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Handed in my resume at career fair. Then I was invited to do the coding challenge. Which had one programming question asking to build an employee tree given employees and a CEO. After a day of submitting the coding challenge, then a phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview was pretty easy, firstly asked some of your experiences stated on the resume. Then came with 3 coding questions. 1) Check if two strings are anagrams of each other 2) Given an integer ranged from 0-99, return its English representation (e.g. 0 -> "Zero", 21 -> "Twenty One") 3) Ransom Note problem (Google it for more details) I did all of them, everything went well on the phone interview, then got invited for onsite after a day. The difficulty for the onsite interview was completely different from the phone interview. I got four rounds, all technical (one of the interviewers asked me a design problem related to web application design), sorry that I cannot disclose them in details because I signed NDA before the interviews. But playing with leetcode (especially the linked list ones and the string ones) would definitely help. Although I could finally done all the problems, but I spent too much time for some of them and needed the interviewers to give some hints. So I finally got rejected after a week, but it is still a great experience. The HR responded really quickly, the interviewers were nice and friendly too. (Although one of the interviewers on my onsite interview was not) At least it made me not fear of other technical interviews, because maybe that was the most difficult one I have ever got.

Interview Questions

• Anagrams, English representation of integer, ransom note   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. They expect you to really know a lot about the company. I was really nervous so that's probably why I didn't get it. The lady who interviewed me was nice and pleasant, and really expanded on her answers when I asked her why she chose to work at Hulu. Very informative and I appreciated the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Hulu?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hulu.

Interview

Took an online assessment which was supposed to be able to solve a hangman game. Very difficult and seemed like an unnecessarily long first-round interview question. It had an 8-hour time limit and was the preliminary challenge which filtered future candidates for the other interview rounds.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

I have 1st phone interview, and 5 onsite interviews( 3 for algorithm coding problem, 2 for research project). For coding interview, each one contains one algorithm problem. phone interview: Given an interval, such as [4, 100], return the number of integers, which could not be divided by 3,5,7 onsite interview: 1) There are n shops in a street and each shop could give you a gift with value v_i. Yet, the limit is you can not get the i-1 and i+1 shop's gift if you have already get the gift from ith shop. Return the maximum value that you could have when you go along the street. Then the follow up is that the street has been changed to a circle. 2) Given an array of integers, the position is called "perfect" if the value in this position is smaller than its neighbor. Return one of the "perfect" position. You must give an O(log(n)) time complexity algorithm. 3) An algorithm design problem, something like 'black&white hat' Research interview: 1) details about my previous project 2) Some basic understanding about machine learning and data mining Overall, the interview takes so long and you need to solve the coding problem quickly, give the optimal solution and coding it with bug-free. In addition, you need have to solve some problem regarding your intelligence, then your knowledge about your professional areas still matters. Now I am still on the waiting list.

Interview Questions

• The problem regarding your intelligence, for instance, designing a method to solve a situation, such as 'black&white' hat   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

Interview

Applied on their website and received an email from their recruiter 2 days later saying that they were very interested and impressed by my resume. Recruiter asked for my best available times later that week, I gave them. A day later he/she responds saying that they meant the next week not the current week but the person didn't acknowledge their mistake, which is fine. I gave a wide open availability for the following week. Received a phone interview from the recruiter the next week. Went very well took about 45 minutes. Answered standard questions like; best accomplishment, best supervisor and why, etc. I, believe, I answered all of the questions fairly well. By the end of the call I was told the salary amount being offered which is average for the type of position and I was told that I would be receiving an email detailing the next steps and schedule for my 1on1 interview with the supervisor for the said position as I had been moved forward in the process. I was pretty happy and thrilled. Two hours later I received a message from the recruiter saying that the "team" didn't think I was a good fit and didn't even want to do the next phone interview with me. They really should have the hiring managers see the applicants resumes when the recruiters do before wasting people's time and guaranteeing an next step interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

They email me a coding challenge and I have 8 hours to complete it. After a week I got reply that they gave me a phone interview. The interviewer asked some questions about hash table and other data structures. The question was not too hard, but I was not doing well.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

One hour phone interview with Hulu. Was asked one coding question and one design question. I thought I answered them pretty well, but got "Thanks but no thanks" email later from recruiter. The recruiter was very responsive.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me. Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up. However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my CV on a campus career fair to Hulu. Then I received an email to finish a problem online within 1 hour. The problem is about data input and output. Since I am new to Computer science, and not proficient with data input. So I almost wasted all my time looking for how to load the data. The problem is as follows, I hope this might help.

Interview Questions

• The problem gives you a sample input data file containing the all the employee-employer relationship information of a company. For example "Peter, John, 2013, software developer--John, NULL, 2012, CEO--David, Peter, 2014, technician..." means there are 3 people int this company (segmented by '--' ), the first 1 is Peter, his boss is John, he entered the company in 2013 as a software developer. The second is John as CEO, with no boss, the third is David as technician, his boss is Peter. The problem is asking you to output a file with all the information in a hierarchic style. I selected C++ as my language. But I found it might be quite efficient if we use mysql in this problem.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Got the opportunity from the career. I was asked to solve a online hangman game within 8 hours as a preliminary. I was allowed to pick any time I like in the two weeks. The countdown started right after I click the link to the description of the task. This preliminary was not about algorithm at all. I think it was designed to test the interviewees' ability of basic programming and solving real-world challenge. The 8-hour task was of course pretty tiring but it was fun to me. Then I had one phone interview with two technical algorithm-related question. I was also asked to do a little self introduction at the beginning and was given a chance to ask any question I wanted to know about Hulu before we hanged up. The phone interview was as normal as any other company.

Interview Questions

I had to declined it because I wouldn't be able to go to California for some personal reason. It was a pity to me.