Hulu Software Development Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.5

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

coding challenge followed by a phone call. The recruiter was extremely cooperative and quick to response. I stayed happy throughout the entire process. The interviewer sounded very intellectual and nice. Questions asked were challenging but based on basic algorithm/data structure. The ability to optimize and meet the constraints is crucial when answering questions.

Interview Questions

• two string comparison, xml tree, hybrid data structure, number base   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Overhyped ppl and company.. nt worth a try

Solved a coding question... Got a call for telephonic round...
    I coded 3 difficult level questions in 45 mins... I infact gave them solution fr all scenarios.. interviewer told me dat I just asked u this.. If I gave him a solution for all scenarios except for 1,is it wrong?
    During whole interview he was'nt even listening to me while I was coding and explaining my logic... 2-3 times I had to ask him whether he was online.. seem he was forced to take this interview.. and wasted my time!!
    As mentioned on this site.. for them only their solutions are right.. does'nt matter if u give them a better one...I wonder how do they even compare themselves to Google and FB
    HR is only good thing abt this company... they r v prompt!!

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hulu in February 2015.

Interview

I've got to say that Hulu's interview process for internships is one of the best I've gone through. The recruiters are highly responsive and willing to accommodate you throughout the process. Like others have mentioned, I had to start off with a challenging but fair programming challenge followed by a 1 hour phone screen. What's neat about the challenge is that you can find yourself having to learn something new while approaching the problem and it tests that. Overall a fun process for sure!

Interview Questions

• Programming challenge and standard data structure questions   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Handed in my resume at career fair.
    Then I was invited to do the coding challenge.
    Which had one programming question asking to build an employee tree given employees and a CEO.

After a day of submitting the coding challenge, then a phone interview was scheduled.
    The phone interview was pretty easy, firstly asked some of your experiences stated on the resume.
    Then came with 3 coding questions.
    1) Check if two strings are anagrams of each other
    2) Given an integer ranged from 0-99, return its English representation (e.g. 0 -> "Zero", 21 -> "Twenty One")
    3) Ransom Note problem (Google it for more details)

I did all of them, everything went well on the phone interview, then got invited for onsite after a day.
    The difficulty for the onsite interview was completely different from the phone interview.
    I got four rounds, all technical (one of the interviewers asked me a design problem related to web application design), sorry that I cannot disclose them in details because I signed NDA before the interviews.
    But playing with leetcode (especially the linked list ones and the string ones) would definitely help.
    Although I could finally done all the problems, but I spent too much time for some of them and needed the interviewers to give some hints.
    So I finally got rejected after a week, but it is still a great experience. The HR responded really quickly, the interviewers were nice and friendly too. (Although one of the interviewers on my onsite interview was not)
    At least it made me not fear of other technical interviews, because maybe that was the most difficult one I have ever got.

Interview Questions

• Anagrams, English representation of integer, ransom note   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

One hour phone interview with Hulu. Was asked one coding question and one design question. I thought I answered them pretty well, but got "Thanks but no thanks" email later from recruiter. The recruiter was very responsive.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my CV on a campus career fair to Hulu. Then I received an email to finish a problem online within 1 hour. The problem is about data input and output. Since I am new to Computer science, and not proficient with data input. So I almost wasted all my time looking for how to load the data. The problem is as follows, I hope this might help.

Interview Questions

• The problem gives you a sample input data file containing the all the employee-employer relationship information of a company. For example "Peter, John, 2013, software developer--John, NULL, 2012, CEO--David, Peter, 2014, technician..." means there are 3 people int this company (segmented by '--' ), the first 1 is Peter, his boss is John, he entered the company in 2013 as a software developer. The second is John as CEO, with no boss, the third is David as technician, his boss is Peter. The problem is asking you to output a file with all the information in a hierarchic style.
      I selected C++ as my language. But I found it might be quite efficient if we use mysql in this problem.

1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu.

Interview

I have internship here before in BeiJing,so I got 3 onsite and a final interview. Most of them are algorithms and system design. I have to say that it's more difficult than Google.

Interview Questions

• Their bar is comparable higher than google and facebook.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

Interview

I applied Hulu during our college career fair. Had a on-campus interview. It's one hour, two turns.

First, a woman interview me, gave me a sheet of code and let me write down what's the print result. I didn't recognize the language. The result is like a tree structure.
    Second turn has two coding questions. First question is giving you two sorted linked lists, merge them together. Second one is letting you implement a LRU Cache.

I had a bad time with the second guy, he seemed not happy with me during the entire interview.

Interview Questions

• The LRU Cache is the most difficult one since I am not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in August, and was followed up by a recruiter after 1 - 2 days. Then I had a coding challenge online, which took me an hour to complete. On the same day, I received an email from my recruiter saying that they decided to move forward with me. I scheduled the phone interviews a week later. There were two rounds, which included coding, design and architecture. The problems were not difficult, but covered basic data structures, problem solving approaches and computer fundamentals. Practicing yourself with the problems from topcoder, leetcode or codeforces would definitely help, but don't expect too much to encounter the exactly same problems in the interviews. The onsite interviews had same layout, but more design-oriented. I received a call from my recruiter the day after my onsite, and I was told that Hulu decided to extend me an offer. Overall, the whole interview process was enjoyable. And I was very impressed by their responsiveness.

Interview Questions

• Design Hulu's backend services, how to scale, where are the pitfalls   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Met at college career fair, scheduled an on campus interview the following day. Had two rounds of interviews. The first was a fairly easy identify what this algorithm does question. The second question proved to be more difficult. Unfortunately could not proceed into the next stage of interviews but did receive three months’ worth of Hulu Plus.