Hulu

Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Hulu.

One hour phone interview with Hulu. Was asked one coding question and one design question. I thought I answered them pretty well, but got "Thanks but no thanks" email later from recruiter. The recruiter was very responsive.

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

I submitted my CV on a campus career fair to Hulu. Then I received an email to finish a problem online within 1 hour. The problem is about data input and output. Since I am new to Computer science, and not proficient with data input. So I almost wasted all my time looking for how to load the data. The problem is as follows, I hope this might help.

Interview Questions
    • The problem gives you a sample input data file containing the all the employee-employer relationship information of a company. For example "Peter, John, 2013, software developer--John, NULL, 2012, CEO--David, Peter, 2014, technician..." means there are 3 people int this company (segmented by '--' ), the first 1 is Peter, his boss is John, he entered the company in 2013 as a software developer. The second is John as CEO, with no boss, the third is David as technician, his boss is Peter. The problem is asking you to output a file with all the information in a hierarchic style.
      I selected C++ as my language. But I found it might be quite efficient if we use mysql in this problem.
        Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu.

I have internship here before in BeiJing,so I got 3 onsite and a final interview. Most of them are algorithms and system design. I have to say that it's more difficult than Google.

Interview Questions
    • Their bar is comparable higher than google and facebook.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied Hulu during our college career fair. Had a on-campus interview. It's one hour, two turns.

First, a woman interview me, gave me a sheet of code and let me write down what's the print result. I didn't recognize the language. The result is like a tree structure.
    Second turn has two coding questions. First question is giving you two sorted linked lists, merge them together. Second one is letting you implement a LRU Cache.

I had a bad time with the second guy, he seemed not happy with me during the entire interview.

Interview Questions
    • The LRU Cache is the most difficult one since I am not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hulu in September 2014.

I applied online in August, and was followed up by a recruiter after 1 - 2 days. Then I had a coding challenge online, which took me an hour to complete. On the same day, I received an email from my recruiter saying that they decided to move forward with me. I scheduled the phone interviews a week later. There were two rounds, which included coding, design and architecture. The problems were not difficult, but covered basic data structures, problem solving approaches and computer fundamentals. Practicing yourself with the problems from topcoder, leetcode or codeforces would definitely help, but don't expect too much to encounter the exactly same problems in the interviews. The onsite interviews had same layout, but more design-oriented. I received a call from my recruiter the day after my onsite, and I was told that Hulu decided to extend me an offer. Overall, the whole interview process was enjoyable. And I was very impressed by their responsiveness.

Interview Questions
    • Design Hulu's backend services, how to scale, where are the pitfalls   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Met at college career fair, scheduled an on campus interview the following day. Had two rounds of interviews. The first was a fairly easy identify what this algorithm does question. The second question proved to be more difficult. Unfortunately could not proceed into the next stage of interviews but did receive three months’ worth of Hulu Plus.

Coding interview online.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

Given a technical phone interview asked questions about code sent 20 minutes prior. Got invited on site - long interview, many questions with 5 different engineers.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

I uploaded my resume to Hulu through their Jobs section on their website.

About a week later, a recruiter contacted me that they wanted to schedule a conversation with me over the phone. It was essentially a screener, mainly asking about my background. After the screener, he explained that their process was to have two 1-hour long technical interviews over the phone and then an on-site interview.

My first technical interview went pretty well. Twenty minutes before the phone call, they sent me a .pdf file of code samples, which I they asked me a series of questions about: What does this program do? What would you name it? How is it's performance? How would you improve it? We then did a coding exercise and then a design question.

My second technical interview did not go as well. I was asked to write a function that would take a CSV file as input and then print out a hierarchy tree based on the values in the file. I was kind of nervous, so I think I spent too much time on that question and did not produce an optimal result. They emailed me the next day, saying they did not have a spot for me at this time.

Overall, the recruiters and interviewers were responsive and polite.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of employees and their bosses as a CSV file, write a function that will print out a hierarchy tree of the employees.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu.

Applied through a job fair, handed them my resume. A couple of days later got contacted with the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Pretty standard 1-hour phone interview. asks you to read two functions and say what they do. Then find a bug in one of them. Also asked to code a caching algorithm.

Second part was a coding challenge. You are given a game using web service and you have to code an AI to play the game.

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge where, in the time of 8 hours, code an AI to play a game of hangman   Answer Question