Hulu

Hulu Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.7

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hulu in November 2013.

Got the 8 hour programming challenge, completed it (they say in their email that they're looking for quality code more than actual correctness), and landed an interview the following week. Interviewer was very friendly and we hit it off pretty well. The day after the interview, my recruiter contacted me and told me I had an offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hulu.

I originally applied for the position by talking to a recruiter at a university career fair and giving him my resume. About a week after that, I was contacted by email by a recruiter requesting that I schedule a time to try their coding challenge as the next step in the application process. I could request to start the coding challenge at any time, and I was allowed up to eight hours to complete the challenge.

The coding challenge was interesting and fairly challenging. I spent several hours working on my solution, and I was pretty happy with the result. After I submitted my solution to the challenge, I was contacted about a week later by a recruiter saying that my solution impressed their engineers enough to move me to the next round of the application process.

The next and final step in their application process was a one hour technical phone interview with an engineer from the company. The questions in the interview primarily dealt with data structures, system design, and algorithm design. I was asked questions where I had to explain verbally how I would implement a solution, and I was asked questions where I had to write out code on a shared document for a solution. The questions asked were only moderately difficult, but I took a fair amount of time to answer each one and didn't explain my thought process out loud very well to my interviewer, so the interview didn't go that well for me.

After that interview, I got an email the next day letting me know that they were not going to give me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really that difficult or unexpected if you have good knowledge of data structures and decent coding ability.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Hulu.

Phone interview, sent a code sample 20 minutes prior. Did not hear back after the interview, not even a decline.

Interview Questions
    • Analyzing a trie structure and class that would form an autocomplete feature   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in February 2013.

After forwarding my resume, the university recruiter contacted me saying that the first step is the 8 hour coding challenge. They sent a link to a problem, and set the timer to 8 hours. The solution had to be emailed within 8 hours. It was a very good experience even though I didn't get selected.

Interview Questions
    • The coding challenge is simple but time consuming. You might figure out the right algorithm, but you'll end up sending a brute force solution because of less time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hulu in April 2012.

They emailed me to setup an interview time after submitting my resume at a college career fair. The first engineer I talk to was very nice and helpful. He helped me through the program when I had questions. The second phone interview, the call was late and rushed towards the end. I never heard back from them and emailed the recruiters a couple times. Horrible job on their part and wouldn't advise people to apply here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hulu in February 2011.

I submitted my resume to Hulu at a career fair hosted at my university. That same night, they contacted me via phone to schedule a 1:1 interview. During the interview, the interviewer asked me various coding/programming questions, and I had to talk through my thinking process as I tried to solve them. Then, after I passed that interview round, they emailed me an actual programming problem, and I had to try to solve it in the best way possible with my preferred coding language in an 8-hour time period that I said I was available. (I didn't have to go anywhere to do the actual coding; they just sent me the email and assumed I would be working on it). After they were satisfied with my solution, I got a phone call from the VP of Technology offering me a position as a Software Engineer Intern at the company. They were very friendly to me and were accommodating to my schedule.

Interview Questions

I got an offer from another company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Hulu in February 2011.

I got a email to have a phone interview at 1pm and the interview start at 1pm, so I got to talk to the recruiter right away without thinking about the question before hand, and I should have 10 min to think about that question before I start the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hulu in January 2010.

My initial interview consisted of a phone screen with an HR type person. In this we discussed my projects and competencies. Standard stuff.

After this, I had two phone interviews with software engineers. In the first, they sent me some code samples just before the interview, and we discussed these over the phone. One was quite easy, another much more challenging, but overall understandable. They involved understanding of typical data structures. I then did a coding problem in a collaborative editor, and spent some time discussing algorithm and data structure design. A second phone interview followed which was quite similar.

After performing well on the phone interviews, I was invited to try their programming challenge. This was an 8 hour challenge that involved solving a relatively open ended and fun problem (in the language of your choice). The problem required an understanding of how to interact with APIs, data structures, and general programming competency. The 8 hour time limit made this possible for a student to actually complete in a day and not take too much time from school. Overall, this was probably what sold me on spending a summer with Hulu.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hulu in February 2013.

First off was an 8 hour programming challenge, written in any language of your choice, and was able to be completed at any time that fits your schedule. I received an email a few days later asking for a phone interview. The phone interview was with a developer from Hulu. We discussed some of my personal projects, did a basic programming problem, again in any language, and I had time to ask him some questions about the company afterwards. A very standard technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • The 8 hour programming challenge was the most difficult, but it was quite interesting.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hulu in April 2011.

Gave sample code 20 minutes prior to the actual interview. Sample code contained unnamed functions and asked me what are the best names for describing the two functions.

Interview Questions
    • Figure out what each code sample does, and what would be a good name for each of the "NoName" functions shown there.   Answer Question