Hulu Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

They email me a coding challenge and I have 8 hours to complete it. After a week I got reply that they gave me a phone interview. The interviewer asked some questions about hash table and other data structures. The question was not too hard, but I was not doing well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me. Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up. However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Got the opportunity from the career. I was asked to solve a online hangman game within 8 hours as a preliminary. I was allowed to pick any time I like in the two weeks. The countdown started right after I click the link to the description of the task. This preliminary was not about algorithm at all. I think it was designed to test the interviewees' ability of basic programming and solving real-world challenge. The 8-hour task was of course pretty tiring but it was fun to me. Then I had one phone interview with two technical algorithm-related question. I was also asked to do a little self introduction at the beginning and was given a chance to ask any question I wanted to know about Hulu before we hanged up. The phone interview was as normal as any other company.

Interview Questions

I had to declined it because I wouldn't be able to go to California for some personal reason. It was a pity to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me in Linkedin. And I did the 1st phone screen 10 days later. The next day I was told that I took the 2nd phone interview and scheduled it a week later. Didn't get the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone: Anagram problem, merge two sorted linked list, and the last ten minutes talked about LRU. 2nd phone: The problem was easy to understand, but I believe the solution would be really long. I didn't get it right, so failed on here. Given a string, parse it and return a string array. It's like a tokenizer, but the rules are too... For exmple, string="abc(edf)hij{klmn}opq[rst]uvw" The delimitors are (), {}, []. They are in pair. So output array: ["abc", "edf", "hij", "klmn", "opq", "rst", "uvw"] That's the rule 1. The rule 2 is, if any two consecutive "(" means escaping, that is "((" is actually output char "(". It's not part of the delimitor. Similar to ")", "{", "}", "[", "]". abc(e))df) => ["abc", "e)df"], since the "))" outpus ")". Rule 3: if "{" is inside a delimitor pair (), then "{" isn't part of the delimitor. Output it as is. abc(e{df}}g) => ["abc", "e{df}}g"] So, parse the given string and assume the given string is always valid and parsable. I think state machine is a good direction. But I didn't finish it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I was referred by my friend who interned there during the summer and got a return offer. The recruiting processing started right away the next day by asking me to finish a online test. It's like a OnlineJudge style test and you have to finish two problems in 1 hour. Two problems are fairly easy (anyone who call themselves a programmer should have no problem nail it within 45 minutes). My guess is this is used as an initial filtering process. I got a phone screen interview invitation within 12hours (quite amazing). We scheduled the time and got the phone call the following week. A guy from LA office interviewed me. It was a 1-hour-ish technical phone interview, but nothing surprising with that -- algorithm and data structure question you can probably get from any company in the industry. He asked me to write the working code in real time via something as a google doc. In fact I only answered one question because the first one looks tricky and actually fairly easy. After I pointed out what the problem is actually about, he decided that we just skip it don't waste our time on writing the routine code of that. I finished writing the code by 30 minutes something. So that we got plenty of time talking about the company like what the working day is like, how's the team look like so on and so forth. It was a quite casual talk and the interviewer is extremely nice and funny. 45 minutes after the phone call (Yes, 45 minutes, pretty impressive) I got the email that they decided to fly me to LA for a onsite interview. The recruiter send a travel agent to set me up the flight and hotel (they even offer me a second night hotel stay after I told them I want to stay one more day to meet with my friend I mentioned at the beginning). Four rounds of 1on1 interview (you can choose whiteboard or a computer). 1 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon (I heard for most cases it's 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon). They are all regular on site interviews about algorithm, data structure, system design etc. They normally will ask you to write actual code for every problem. The last one was with a manager like guy, after we talked about the pipe implementation in *NIX shell (I did something similar before and put it on my resume) we just sat down and talk about the work in Hulu. That's the moment I felt like they really like me. After all interviews the recruiter showed me around the working area and we headed back to the interviewing room. Then to my most shockingly surprise, she said they decided to offer me the job here. During the whole process, Hulu successfully shows me that how much they value their candidates and how responsive they are. The total waiting time for the whole process combined is less than a day(12 hour + 45 min + instantly). The sent me the offer letter later, the compensation is satisfied and I took the offer.

Interview Questions

• A system design question about how to deal with server failure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't really negotiating much cuz the compensation is very satisfied.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online Test in an hour

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu in September 2013.

Interview

There was an initial interview which was HR round. For the second round they have given two codes and discussed the outputs in the actual interview. Code complexities and how to improve the performance was discussed. For the third, they gave me a situation, and asked what data structures would be best for such a case. Then spent time to improve the complexity.

Interview Questions

• A logger which contained job ids, job categories and time to complete in random fashion. The output desired was top three job categories.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Submitted online and get contacted by company HR. First round of phone interview, the same as all the others on glassdoor. Give two code segments 15 min before the call and was asked what is the code doing, time complexity. Second round of phone interview, asked to write code to print company hierarchy. Used hashtable. Get the rejection letter the second business day.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Hulu in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview: sample code was given. It is about finding our if two strings consist of the same set of characters. The code is a complex and implemented using recursion with one utility function to remove ith character from a given string.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu in March 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. After talking with recruiter, a phone interview was setup. Code samples were sent to me 15 minutes before the interview started. The interviewer asked me what the code sample did. After discussing that, i was told to improve it. After improving it, i was asked what the code was. Basically it was an anagram. Then we had a collabEdit like environment where we kept losing connection when i was coding. The process was relatively fast and so was the rejection. Lol. I considered the questions easy and got them.

Interview Questions

• Given code sample, please state what it does. A recursive function calling a utility function. State what the utility and recursive function do. How would you make it better. It was an anagram problem. Give the Big O for both functions.   Answer Question
    • Merge 2 sorted linked lists.   Answer Question