Hulu

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me in Linkedin. And I did the 1st phone screen 10 days later. The next day I was told that I took the 2nd phone interview and scheduled it a week later. Didn't get the on-site interview.

Interview Question – 1st phone:

Anagram problem, merge two sorted linked list, and the last ten minutes talked about LRU.

2nd phone:

The problem was easy to understand, but I believe the solution would be really long. I didn't get it right, so failed on here.

Given a string, parse it and return a string array. It's like a tokenizer, but the rules are too...

For exmple, string="abc(edf)hij{klmn}opq[rst]uvw"

The delimitors are (), {}, []. They are in pair. So output array:

["abc", "edf", "hij", "klmn", "opq", "rst", "uvw"]

That's the rule 1. The rule 2 is, if any two consecutive "(" means escaping, that is "((" is actually output char "(". It's not part of the delimitor. Similar to ")", "{", "}", "[", "]".

abc(e))df) => ["abc", "e)df"], since the "))" outpus ")".

Rule 3: if "{" is inside a delimitor pair (), then "{" isn't part of the delimitor. Output it as is.

abc(e{df}}g) => ["abc", "e{df}}g"]

So, parse the given string and assume the given string is always valid and parsable.

I think state machine is a good direction. But I didn't finish it.
  Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by my friend who interned there during the summer and got a return offer.

The recruiting processing started right away the next day by asking me to finish a online test. It's like a OnlineJudge style test and you have to finish two problems in 1 hour. Two problems are fairly easy (anyone who call themselves a programmer should have no problem nail it within 45 minutes). My guess is this is used as an initial filtering process.

I got a phone screen interview invitation within 12hours (quite amazing). We scheduled the time and got the phone call the following week. A guy from LA office interviewed me. It was a 1-hour-ish technical phone interview, but nothing surprising with that -- algorithm and data structure question you can probably get from any company in the industry. He asked me to write the working code in real time via something as a google doc. In fact I only answered one question because the first one looks tricky and actually fairly easy. After I pointed out what the problem is actually about, he decided that we just skip it don't waste our time on writing the routine code of that.

I finished writing the code by 30 minutes something. So that we got plenty of time talking about the company like what the working day is like, how's the team look like so on and so forth. It was a quite casual talk and the interviewer is extremely nice and funny.

45 minutes after the phone call (Yes, 45 minutes, pretty impressive) I got the email that they decided to fly me to LA for a onsite interview. The recruiter send a travel agent to set me up the flight and hotel (they even offer me a second night hotel stay after I told them I want to stay one more day to meet with my friend I mentioned at the beginning).

Four rounds of 1on1 interview (you can choose whiteboard or a computer). 1 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon (I heard for most cases it's 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon). They are all regular on site interviews about algorithm, data structure, system design etc. They normally will ask you to write actual code for every problem.

The last one was with a manager like guy, after we talked about the pipe implementation in *NIX shell (I did something similar before and put it on my resume) we just sat down and talk about the work in Hulu. That's the moment I felt like they really like me. After all interviews the recruiter showed me around the working area and we headed back to the interviewing room. Then to my most shockingly surprise, she said they decided to offer me the job here.

During the whole process, Hulu successfully shows me that how much they value their candidates and how responsive they are. The total waiting time for the whole process combined is less than a day(12 hour + 45 min + instantly). The sent me the offer letter later, the compensation is satisfied and I took the offer.

Interview Question – A system design question about how to deal with server failure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't really negotiating much cuz the compensation is very satisfied.

Interviewed at Hulu

Interview Details – Online Test in an hour

Interview Question – Should solve all problems in the time   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in September 2013.

Interview Details – There was an initial interview which was HR round.
For the second round they have given two codes and discussed the outputs in the actual interview. Code complexities and how to improve the performance was discussed.
For the third, they gave me a situation, and asked what data structures would be best for such a case. Then spent time to improve the complexity.

Interview Question – A logger which contained job ids, job categories and time to complete in random fashion. The output desired was top three job categories.   View Answer

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu.

Interview Details – Submitted online and get contacted by company HR. First round of phone interview, the same as all the others on glassdoor. Give two code segments 15 min before the call and was asked what is the code doing, time complexity.
Second round of phone interview, asked to write code to print company hierarchy. Used hashtable. Get the rejection letter the second business day.

Interview Question – A coding question to print company hierarchy.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I interviewed at Hulu in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview: sample code was given. It is about finding our if two strings consist of the same set of characters. The code is a complex and implemented using recursion with one utility function to remove ith character from a given string.

Interview Question – Asked about the run time of the code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I interviewed at Hulu in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied and talked with a recruiter at career fair. Interview consisted of two 1 on 1 interview. Both of which contained technical questions and code test, which you are given a sample code and asked what it does and how to improve it. Although they promised me that they would get back to me within 2 weeks after the interview, I did not hear anything from them. I tried to contact them but to no avail as they seemed like they've gone dead silent...

Interview Question – Be prepared to read obscure code, as you will be asked what it does.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in March 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter. After talking with recruiter, a phone interview was setup. Code samples were sent to me 15 minutes before the interview started. The interviewer asked me what the code sample did. After discussing that, i was told to improve it. After improving it, i was asked what the code was. Basically it was an anagram. Then we had a collabEdit like environment where we kept losing connection when i was coding. The process was relatively fast and so was the rejection. Lol. I considered the questions easy and got them.

Interview Questions

• Given code sample, please state what it does. A recursive function calling a utility function. State what the utility and recursive function do. How would you make it better. It was an anagram problem. Give the Big O for both functions.   Answer Question
  • Merge 2 sorted linked lists.   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hulu in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview. Some questions regarding Object Oriented Programming and then several questions about algorithm design. One of the questions asked was how to implement an LRU cache and what data structure to use. After you give an answer, they ask you how to optimize your solution using different data structures.

Interview Question – Implement a LRU cache   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

Interviewed at Hulu

Interview Details – A recruiter screen and 2 technical phone interviews. Pleasant conversations with the recruiter and the engineers were definitely helpful. Questions covered a good amount of breadth, as mentioned by the recruiter. Overall positive experience.

Interview Question – open ended design question   Answer Question

Worked for Hulu? Contribute to the Community!