Human Rights Campaign Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Human Rights Campaign

Intern Interview

Interview

I had only one interview for this position. They asked pretty standard questions, nothing all that surprising. It is really important to know why you want to work for them and any publication/programs that your department produces. You need to make sure you understand exactly what department you are applying for.

Direct Response Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

The application and interview process seemed disorganized. Right out of the gate, while the company has its applicants send their initial application online, upon being invited for an interview, applicants are asked to complete and submit a paper application that covers the same information as the online application, which seemed like a waste of time. After all, if the online application system works as expected, there should be no reason to do the application twice. The interview itself was two stages, and it lasted an hour. The first stage was with a person from human resources, who asked more generalized personality and experience-related questions. The second stage was with the hiring manager for the position and a person who would work closely with the position being hired. A number of questions overlapped between HR and the hiring manager. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager indicated that they would be in contact before a certain date. After waiting out the period that the hiring manager had specified, I called the HR person back. No response. When I called the hiring manager, I was told that they needed another week. After that week, calls to both the HR person and the hiring manager went unanswered, and messages left were not returned. Following another week, I received a response from the automated application system that indicated that I was no longer being considered for the position.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I don't remember. The thing that stood out most in this process was the disorganization of the whole thing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

I was emailed about a phone interview to take place a week later. It was just a simple phone interview with a very nice interviewer. She just wanted to see why I was interested in the organization and to make sure that I understood the nature of the position. It took no more than 15 minutes. I would advise candidates to have a clear explanation for why they're interested in the position and to be flexible with what the nature of the internship will be.

Interview Questions

I received another offer that I was more interested in.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

After not responding to an application for another (lower) position, I received a call to interview for the position of Manager. The atmosphere was pleasant and interviewers amicable. The questions were versions of the standards but tweaked to convey the requisite passion involved in working for a civil rights organization. Be professional but affable.

Interview Questions

• What was the most recent situation in which you had to explain complex concepts to people?   Answer Question

Workplace Equality Project Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

For the first interview, HRC scheduled me for shorter 1 hour interviews with people from several departments. Three of the interviews were with individuals and one was with a group of three people. For the next round I met with two people. One was a vice president and the other was an external consultant.