Human Rights Watch

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Human Rights Watch

Interview Details – There were two rounds of interviews. It wasn't too difficult.The first interview was more general. During the second I got to delve into my interests a bit more and ask more in depth questions about HRW.

Interview Question – This was such a long time ago. I suppose it is a bit difficult to come up with fresh questions during the second round. So one question I asked was for my interviewer to outline the differences between hrw and amnesty.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – Had a fairly short in-person interview after applying online. Mostly talked about my background and interests, as well as my knowledge as to how HRW operates. Make sure to do your homework and have some knowledge of the division you're applying to.

Interview Question – What sorts of issues should Human Rights Watch look into? Do you think a human rights approach to public health is valuable?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – I had one interview over the phone and a second interview in person. They contacted me by e-mail to set up both the interviews and the interviewer was great. It is a great place to intern.

Interview Question – It was normal interview questions, nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – The first interview was over the phone with the Associate. Half of the the interview was in English and half was in Spanish. Then, there was a timed exam. If I remember correctly it was 1 or 2 hours to research a specific topic (killings in Juarez, Mexico) and write a report. If you pass this round, you have a final phone interview with the Researcher.

Interview Question – Most questions were expected...i.e. why do you want to work for Human Rights Watch? What skills can you offer to Human Rights Watch?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in July 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very straightforward - I went through my resume, explained my interest in the organization and my work style...nothing out-of-the blue. The also asked about how I felt I could contribute to the organization and my long-term goals.

Interview Question – I was asked some questions related to some challenges facing my region of interest.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – Application through website posting followed by a short phone interview to cover basic questions. Then called in for an in person interview which lasted 30 minutes. Friendly and covered almost all 'top most common interview questions." Got a response almost immediately, very prompt with emails and phone calls. Friendly and approachable interviewer.

Interview Question – How do you deal with stress? Name two strengths and one weakness.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in April 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewer sought to clarify some points in the cover letter and resume. Did not ask difficult questions, allowed interviewee to expand on interests and strengths. Spent most of the interview describing the internship for the interviewee and answering questions about the internship.

Interview Question – Relevant background and interests in the specific division   Answer Question

Worked for Human Rights Watch? Contribute to the Community!