Human Rights Watch

Updated Oct 6, 2014
Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.9

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Took about two months after I initially applied (emailed my resume, cover letter, etc.) for them to contact me. Set up an online video interview with 6 questions (why I want to work with HRW, specific questions about the job). Got an email about 4 days later saying I passed the video interview and wanted to set up an hour and 15 minute written exam with me. I had to write a letter to a senior official, write an email in French, and proofread a HRW report and then format it. Never heard back after that, even after two follow up emails. Personally, I felt kind of weird about the organization as a whole after that experience. I understand that it's a big organization and everyone is probably really busy, but when someone takes the time to interview with you and go through an hour and 15 minute written test, I feel like the least you could do is respond back to their email and tell them they didn't get the job? Kind of turned me off to HRW to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't expecting a French question during the video interview, so I kind of stumbled around with that one.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Applied to the job online with my resume, cover letter, writing sample and reference list. After a couple of weeks of waiting, I spoke to someone who works at the organization. Incidentally, that person connected me to the person who was leaving the job, who found my resume amidst a pile over 1,000 applications.

I did not have to go through a formal phone interview. Instead, I was given a writing exam. The exam was one-hour and required email composition, document translation and writing a short report on your preferred language.

After a couple of weeks waiting, I followed up and received a notice that I had to wait one more week. Then I was told I did not make it to the final round with the division's director. When I asked why I was not selected, they told me the other person just did a better job with her writing and translation.

Intern Interview

There were two rounds of interviews. It wasn't too difficult.The first interview was more general. During the second I got to delve into my interests a bit more and ask more in depth questions about HRW.

Interview Questions
    • This was such a long time ago. I suppose it is a bit difficult to come up with fresh questions during the second round. So one question I asked was for my interviewer to outline the differences between hrw and amnesty.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Had a fairly short in-person interview after applying online. Mostly talked about my background and interests, as well as my knowledge as to how HRW operates. Make sure to do your homework and have some knowledge of the division you're applying to.

Interview Questions
    • What sorts of issues should Human Rights Watch look into? Do you think a human rights approach to public health is valuable?   Answer Question

MENA Intern Interview

Phone interview which went over basic questions: my experience, why I wanted the internship, and my language skill set (Arabic language skills are a major plus). There was no language test but once I was on the job I read in Arabic daily.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Human Rights Watch.

I had one interview over the phone and a second interview in person. They contacted me by e-mail to set up both the interviews and the interviewer was great. It is a great place to intern.

Interview Questions
    • It was normal interview questions, nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Outreach and Development Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed a few weeks later. It was simple interview of why I wanted to work there, and I had to write a short piece relating to human rights.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in working at Human Rights Watch?   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Received an e-mail to set up a phone interview just a couple days after submitting application materials online. Set up the interview for the week after. Pretty brief and short interview, asking some standard questions- why HRW, but also a couple unexpected questions that specifically asked about experiences listed on resume. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with the fact that HRW can't really help individuals, but work with more bigger-picture policies and laws?   Answer Question

Development & Outreach Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Human Rights Watch in December 2013.

I emailed my application and received a response one week later to set up an in-person interview. My interview was approximately one hour in the office and many of the questions asked of me pertained to my experiences in the responsibilities expected of me (e.g. experience in fundraising, executing special events, etc). My interview was laid back, friendly and happy to answer my questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you fare with tedious, repetitive tasks?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

The first interview was over the phone with the Associate. Half of the the interview was in English and half was in Spanish. Then, there was a timed exam. If I remember correctly it was 1 or 2 hours to research a specific topic (killings in Juarez, Mexico) and write a report. If you pass this round, you have a final phone interview with the Researcher.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were expected...i.e. why do you want to work for Human Rights Watch? What skills can you offer to Human Rights Watch?   Answer Question