Human Rights Watch

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Intern Interview

Interviewed at Human Rights Watch

Interview Details – Received an e-mail to set up a phone interview just a couple days after submitting application materials online. Set up the interview for the week after. Pretty brief and short interview, asking some standard questions- why HRW, but also a couple unexpected questions that specifically asked about experiences listed on resume. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – How would you deal with the fact that HRW can't really help individuals, but work with more bigger-picture policies and laws?   Answer Question

Development & Outreach Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in December 2013.

Interview Details – I emailed my application and received a response one week later to set up an in-person interview. My interview was approximately one hour in the office and many of the questions asked of me pertained to my experiences in the responsibilities expected of me (e.g. experience in fundraising, executing special events, etc). My interview was laid back, friendly and happy to answer my questions.

Interview Question – How do you fare with tedious, repetitive tasks?   View Answer

Outreach and Development Intern Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in April 2012.

Interview Details – Began with cover letter and resume submission via email. Referred by friend who'd previously interned there. One round of interviewing. Interview was a behavioral interview and walkthrough of previous experiences.

Interview Question – What do you perceive the most important thing to do when pursuing a prospect for donations?   Answer Question

Communications Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called in for an in person interview, which lasted about an hour. I was contacted within the next week and accepted the internship for the next term.

Interview Question – Why HRW?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – The first interview was over the phone with the Associate. Half of the the interview was in English and half was in Spanish. Then, there was a timed exam. If I remember correctly it was 1 or 2 hours to research a specific topic (killings in Juarez, Mexico) and write a report. If you pass this round, you have a final phone interview with the Researcher.

Interview Question – Most questions were expected...i.e. why do you want to work for Human Rights Watch? What skills can you offer to Human Rights Watch?   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in September 2009.

Interview Details – Very responsive. Applied via email. Contacted within a few days to set up telephone interview. Follow up with in person interview a week later. Checked references and made an offer. Total time was about three weeks.

Negotiation Details – Very responsive. Negotiated in good faith and agreed to terms and salary.

Research Assistant Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in April 2012.

Interview Details – Received an e-mail to set up an interview, spoke on the phone with the interview two days later. Fairly standard interview questions, but I don't think my Spanish was up to snuff. Never heard back when I emailed to follow up.

Interview Question – What kind of issues should HRW look more into? (Asked in Spanish)   Answer Question

Web Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a couple of skype calls (both audio only & video) with operational team & written exercises via email.
I was expecting a final round of interview which never happened (without any proper communication from HRW on that question, even after 2 followup emails from me. quite unprofessional on that point)

Interview Question – Noticing me the location of the position has changed during the first interview.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Human Rights Watch in July 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very straightforward - I went through my resume, explained my interest in the organization and my work style...nothing out-of-the blue. The also asked about how I felt I could contribute to the organization and my long-term goals.

Interview Question – I was asked some questions related to some challenges facing my region of interest.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Human Rights Watch.

Interview Details – Application through website posting followed by a short phone interview to cover basic questions. Then called in for an in person interview which lasted 30 minutes. Friendly and covered almost all 'top most common interview questions." Got a response almost immediately, very prompt with emails and phone calls. Friendly and approachable interviewer.

Interview Question – How do you deal with stress? Name two strengths and one weakness.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Human Rights Watch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Human Rights Watch interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Human Rights Watch employees and interview candidates.