Huntington Ingalls Industries

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.7

Rigger Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries.

Interview

laid Back Dress the part and you will be fine. the interviewer knows nothing about ship building. no shift is promises so do not fall for that. hiring process can take a while .drug screening is in full effect.

Interview Questions

• no techincal questions. just why would you like to work here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

try to negotiate for experience

Stage Builder Interview

Interview

First they call to set up a group interview. Once you arrive, they have all the new hires sit down for a presentation about Huntington Ingalls. Then each new hire is called privately for their interview.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of questions about your career and how long you plan on staying   Answer Question

Chemist Interview

Application

Interview

The interview was very awkward. The manager read questions off of a piece of paper and didn't say much of anything else. There was an HR representative in the room that looked younger than me and was trying to give me pointers on answering my questions, as if he was the job guru and I had never interviewed for a job before. That should have been a warning sign in retrospect. Turns out the manager interviewing me was a metrologist and doesn't even have a basic understanding of chemistry, so he probably didn't understand a word I was saying. The orientation was a complete joke. I found out much later that most of the benefits and bonuses they talked about didn't apply to me because I'm a direct hire. I was also underpaid for the orientation but I didn't want to make an issue of it. I think the requirements of the position and compensation were misrepresented.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were relatively vague and vanilla. Like "How do you resolve a conflict" and "describe a time you worked as a team" etc... Not a single science question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everything was very slow.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in November 2014.

Interview

First met with HR, for benefits overview and general information at HR building. Then department head met me and escorted me to another building where software development resided. Interviews with a panel. Panel asked questions ranging from specific programming (C++, Java), computer science (data structures, databases), and software engineering (design, development, test, tools).

Interview Questions

• Very specific simulation terms or systems question that must be used at HII.   1 Answer

Document Control Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries (Newport News, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was invited to an interview at the Newport News Shipbuilding Employment office mid-April. A week later, I was invited via phone to a second interview in the first week of May. 8 days later, I was offered the job. The next step was doing a physical and hair follicle test on site.

Negotiation

There was no negotiations.

Designer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries (Newport News, VA).

Interview

There was 1 initial phone interview with HR. When they flew me from Florida to Virginia, i was set up to interview with 3 different departments.

Interview Questions

• Common questions were asked, nothing was really unexpected. I don't remember, that they ever tried to catch you off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiate, when available, in certain areas of the offer being presented to you. Your pay may not go up any, but there may be, wiggle room, on how much vacation days can be given.

Progress Coordinator/Administrative Func Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries.

Interview

Had one interview in August 2000, then went thru orientation & physical, drug test, eye test & started work.

Interview Questions

• There was never a difficult question or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Painter RA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries (Gautier, MS) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied for the apprenticeship position 3 weeks prior to the interview. It was a fairly straight forward process; show up Saturday morning at the local college university building in appropriate attire, wait to be called, etc. Once the interview began I met with a small group of people and was asked relevant questions about the shipyard itself, not entirely exclusive to the position I applied for. The questions were simple and I answered them all as professionally as I could. I was confident and the staff looked happy with my responses. The interview lasted about 10 minutes.

I had called back for a follow-up call regarding my interview and was told I didn't get hired because my interview score was too low?

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Outside Machinist Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries (Newport News, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online via a link from my friend. I was told, despite my Bachelor Degree, I had to take an aptitude test called the Work Keys test. Very easy stuff if you were even an average student through high school. When I passed that, I had a 1 on 1 interview with the recruiter. Pretty standard interview setting. The interviewer asked a lot of "Why this job?" questions repeatedly throughout the interview so be sure to answer the same.

She made me an offer, which is take it or leave it, and I accepted. From there, you have to come back and take a respirator test and a medical physical to get fully cleared to take the job. I unfortunately did not pass the physical because they discovered I had a medical condition that requires surgery, so my offer was rescinded. Be sure you are healthy and in pretty good shape medically because the physical is the most thorough part of the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was when I told her I had no mechanic experience, she asked what I would think about being a painter. So I had to sell her on the fact that I was a fast learner and competent enough to pick up on the duties needed.   Answer Question

Information Security Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries (Newport News, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial communications came from the human resources department. The environment is very strictly controlled and US citizenship is required to come on site for the interview. Proof of citizenship is required. A phone screen interview was first with the recruiter and then a physical interview was scheduled. The physical interview was very structured with a specific list of challenging security questions that were from very diverse categories from technical to personality related. There were several people from the team conducting the interview and each asked individual questions. All were very polite and helped to make me feel at ease.

Interview Questions

• Being able to accurately describe what my current manger would say are my two biggest weaknesses.   Answer Question