Huntington Ingalls Industries Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
24 interviews

2.6

IT Coop Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in May 2013.

The interviewer was congenial, asked standard interview questions, and was patient when he saw me struggling. The problem was that I was nervous, and my answers weren't very good.

When I called to follow up on the interview, he politely informed me that I wasn’t hired. From my experience, I know that this is uncommon. Most employers, after deciding not to hire you, prefer to ignore your attempts to follow up until you go away.

Even though Huntington Ingalls didn't hire me, I was impressed with their professionalism, and I would encourage others to apply.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a problem with a professor, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Nuclear Quality Inspector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in April 2011.

Apply online, get contact for interview, get medical screening, job offer if applicable then approx. 1 month of training (mandatory), with additional training as applicable into whichever field you will be assigned (mechanical, structural, electrical

Interview Questions
    • Will you do your inspections expecting them to fail or pass?   View Answer
    NO negotiation

Document Control Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in April 2014.

I was invited to an interview at the Newport News Shipbuilding Employment office mid-April. A week later, I was invited via phone to a second interview in the first week of May. 8 days later, I was offered the job. The next step was doing a physical and hair follicle test on site.

There was no negotiations.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in May 2012.

They set the wages.

Designer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries.

There was 1 initial phone interview with HR. When they flew me from Florida to Virginia, i was set up to interview with 3 different departments.

Interview Questions
    • Common questions were asked, nothing was really unexpected. I don't remember, that they ever tried to catch you off guard.   Answer Question
    Negotiate, when available, in certain areas of the offer being presented to you. Your pay may not go up any, but there may be, wiggle room, on how much vacation days can be given.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in February 2013.

Online apllicaton with a call back interview over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were predictable and none were challenging.   Answer Question

Program Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in March 2009.

Apply online. Recruiter calls to set up an interview. Usually face to face interview. If you got the job you will be notified within a few days. If you didn't get the job you may not be notified for months.

Interview Questions
    • The questions will vary depending on the hiring manager. Most of the questions will be related to your work experience and how it is relevant to the job you are interviewing for.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations. The recruiter gives you a take it or leave it offer.

Painter RA Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Gautier, MS
    Anonymous Employee in Gautier, MS

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in September 2013.

Applied for the apprenticeship position 3 weeks prior to the interview. It was a fairly straight forward process; show up Saturday morning at the local college university building in appropriate attire, wait to be called, etc. Once the interview began I met with a small group of people and was asked relevant questions about the shipyard itself, not entirely exclusive to the position I applied for. The questions were simple and I answered them all as professionally as I could. I was confident and the staff looked happy with my responses. The interview lasted about 10 minutes.

I had called back for a follow-up call regarding my interview and was told I didn't get hired because my interview score was too low?

Outside Machinist Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries in July 2013.

I applied online via a link from my friend. I was told, despite my Bachelor Degree, I had to take an aptitude test called the Work Keys test. Very easy stuff if you were even an average student through high school. When I passed that, I had a 1 on 1 interview with the recruiter. Pretty standard interview setting. The interviewer asked a lot of "Why this job?" questions repeatedly throughout the interview so be sure to answer the same.

She made me an offer, which is take it or leave it, and I accepted. From there, you have to come back and take a respirator test and a medical physical to get fully cleared to take the job. I unfortunately did not pass the physical because they discovered I had a medical condition that requires surgery, so my offer was rescinded. Be sure you are healthy and in pretty good shape medically because the physical is the most thorough part of the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was when I told her I had no mechanic experience, she asked what I would think about being a painter. So I had to sell her on the fact that I was a fast learner and competent enough to pick up on the duties needed.   Answer Question

Progress Coordinator/Administrative Func Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Huntington Ingalls Industries.

Had one interview in August 2000, then went thru orientation & physical, drug test, eye test & started work.

Interview Questions
    • There was never a difficult question or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Worked for Huntington Ingalls Industries? Contribute to the Community!