Huntington Learning Centers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2015

2.2

SAT Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted about half an hour; the interviewer first asked me questions about my resume, then she asked me general interview questions. She then explained what the job would entail exactly, and finally, she asked me what questions I had. She was very clear in explaining her expectations for tutors, for example, that they maintain professionalism by following the curriculum yet act as more than "button pushers" and think for themselves. She also explained that tutors eventually train in more than one subject, and they receive the same pay whether the student misses the appointment or not. She stated explicitly that tutoring for Wyzant or advertising tutoring on any other site on the internet was a breach of contract in addition to tutoring for another center. She mentioned that she appreciated my experience and time flexibility, and she would give me as many hours as I would like to work, but she also said the pay for SAT tutoring is $10 an hour. I was surprised that a master's degree on top of teaching certification wouldn't bump this number up more, especially considering the lowest estimate I've heard this company charges for SAT tutoring is $65 an hour. Overall, even though I turned down this job, the interview gave me a good vibe. I think this would be a good job for someone who just graduated from undergrad and is subbing long-term.

Interview Questions

• What did you do at _________? (place worked on my resume) What experience do you have working with small children? Why did you become a teacher? What do you know about Huntington? What do you see yourself doing at Huntington? What would you do if you were tutoring an ESL student who was clearly intelligent but seemed hesitant to talk? What are your plans? Are you looking for a full-time job? Are you interested in year-round work? We don't hire for the summer. What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Center Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

The questions and answers don't prepare you for what is really expected. They ask you if you are WILLING to do certain things and then once you are hired you find out it is required of you on a weekly basis

Interview Questions

Negotiation

same as any other job offer

SES Supervisor Interview

Interview

Just be nice and smile. This job only requires that you have a college degree. No teaching experience is necessary. I found this position through craigslist.org. I applied and they called me the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The salary was $20/hr, period. No benefits.

Center Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

Starts with phone screening call, then 2 in-person interviews. The first is with Human Resources, follows a script asking both behavioral and qualifications questions. The second is with the regional manager, also scripted. Sometimes there is a third interview with the director of operations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you had to overcome challenges to get the job done.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, able to negotiate starting salary. This was done directly with HR

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

After applying online, I received an email from the corporate office to schedule a preliminary phone screening to discuss my interest level and qualifications. The interviewer was very nice, the conversation was short and sweet (about 5-10 minutes) and covered the basics of the opportunities and my expectations. By the end of the conversation we scheduled an in-person interview at their corporate office

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not well paying at first, but opportunities for growth and becoming a facility director if you perform well.

SAT/ACT Math and Verbal Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers in October 2014.

Interview

After sending in my resume and talking with the owner, I went to the center to take a mock SAT exam. After I finished, my exam was hand graded. My verbal scores were in the low 90 percentiles, which was sufficient. I don't know the math score percentile, but mine was sufficient.

Interview Questions

• He had no difficult questions. Knowing the material was the main thing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The hourly rate had already been given to me.

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers in July 2014.

Interview

I called into the center to see if they had any availability. After following up I was given a first interview. During the first interview I was asked several questions and took a diagnostic SAT (math sections only). I filled out an employment application during the interview. I had a second interview in which logistics were discussed.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Bronx, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Basic interview with recruiting dept. basic questions "tell me about what you did at your previous employer". Interview went well and then went on to speak to the center director. Center director went over the day to day activities.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Why should i pick you over the other candidates? If a client walks in and wants info on the center and tutors need your help in the back how do you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Low salary - long hours.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mandeville, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Huntington Learning Centers (Mandeville, LA).

Interview

During my first interview I was asked how I would handle scenarios such as angry parents, unmotivated students and payment issues. I was asked what I knew about the organization and why I wanted to work there is well.

Horrible hours. 9:30 AM - 8:30 PM Must work every Saturday. Horrible salary - $28,000 No options to move up in the company

SAT/ACT Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Huntington Learning Centers.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I had to come in and teach a mock lesson to one of the managers.

Interview Questions

• I had to teach a lesson to the manager. I wasn't expecting that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None