Hurley Interview Questions

Updated Jun 3, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hurley (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

it was ok. the hiring manager was running late and i arrived pretty early so i spent like 10 minutes waiting and the interview itself was like 5 minutes.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hurley in February 2013.

Interview

There are three phases with a Hurley|Nike interview. First phase is a phone screening with a recruiter from Nike. Real basic interview lasts anywhere from 15 - 35 minutes I was told. Mine lasted a little over half an hour. Recruiter is focused on your resume, background, and possible fit with the organization.

Second phase is a phone interview with a retail manager at Hurley HQ. Last about the same time as the first interview. Again the manager looks for fit with the job and organization. Similar questions to the first interview but more pertaining to the job your applied for. Be sure to know the product, the organization, and this is also a good time to get your questions in about the job itself and the management style of your supervisor.

Third Phase is a panel interview. Now the panels I'm sure will be somewhat different in any manner or form but should consist of 3 interviewees. Mine was the VP of Retail, an Operations Manager, and Store Manager of the organization. Lasts anywhere from 45 - 60 minutes. Questions start off formal at first and then are more of a relaxed conversational throughout the rest. The last questions coming mainly from the interviewees and not a corporate form. I'll write down some questions that were asked and some that helped me prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your most definable leadership characteristics?   1 Answer
    • Why Hurley?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a suggestion or successful contribution you have made in your paying job or in college.   Answer Question
    • What would your previous supervisor say about you?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your work/management style?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Basically the more confident your manager is in you than the better the offer. Hurley being an affiliate of Nike makes it a top notch offer. I didn't have to negotiate anything out as the off hit every mark I needed. So my advice would be just do your research on the cost of living within the area you applied for and make sure your expenses will be well taken care of. You want to be able to focus on your work and not the bills.

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hurley (Miami, FL).

Interview

I had someone already working for the company recommend me to management, but I hired people and interviewed them, so I can speak from both. When I first got there, I was questioned about things on my resume. Not in a bad way, but just to get a deeper meaning behind some of the things I had written. One thing I didn't like was feeling like if I had a life outside of the company, I wouldn't be hired. I certainly saw most of this happening once I was already hired. If you do community service or anything, don't talk about it to much. Make it known that you need flexibility, but don't be so specific, because the interviewing process can be VERY biased.

Interview Questions

• I can't really think of one. The questions were pretty routine and predictable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. It was more of a "well, this is what you will get paid. You start this weekend" kind of deal.

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hurley (Costa Mesa, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Fun, but be prepared for “character” questions

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you should get this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very fair.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hurley in May 2012.

Interview

Type of customer service experience and examples.
    Roleplay on how to sell a product.
    They also asked me a questions about me, my interest, and why I'm interested in working for this company.

Negotiation

8.75 and i accepted.

Strategic Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hurley (Costa Mesa, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Initially I was contacted via phone for an in-person interview. I was scheduled to meet with multiple VPs within the company. On the day of the interview, once I arrived, I was informed that some of the people I had been scheduled to meet with, including the company President, would no longer be able to meet with me. On a side note, I was told not to wear a suit so dressed business casual. In the lobby waiting with me was another person waiting to be interviewed for another position. He was dressed in jeans, a tee shirt and a baseball cap.

The first VP led me on a tour of the office and then sat down with me on the couch in the office. No one who interviewed me wanted to sit behind a desk. Everyone was trying to show that they were very relaxed. Each interview lasted about 30 minuted. The HR VP emphasized they hired based on "fit" with the company and culture more than experience. It was many weeks before I got a form email that I was not a fit. I emailed the HR person back asking politely for feedback to my interviews that I could take with me for the future. I received no response.

Director Technical Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hurley (Costa Mesa, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Referred by employee to hiring manager. 1:1 interview with Hiring Manager and group/panel interview with other department managers, all in the same day. Very laid back interviews, was more about discussing how the company was set up and future goals. People seemed laid back, but hard working, company culture seems to be young and about having fun. They called me a week later and I was offered the job. Most the questions asked were about how I felt I would fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about our target customer and what experience to you have with it.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about our company and how do you see yourself fitting in.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very strait forward, no BS, no games. Hiring managers were very strait with what was expected as well as what on the table.

Advice? Company is fair and forthcoming but my advise is; ask what your advancement opportunities are.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hurley in May 2012.

Interview

Only the first round of interview. Schedule the interview one or two days after receiving the invitation letter. After two weeks, I asked them and received the rejection letter that they moved on to another candidate.