Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.9

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in November 2014.

I applied through campus recruiting. There were two behavioral interviews. There was no formal case interview with any substantial math- I was allowed to use a calculator. Interviewers were nice, but tired. They didn't make it seem too exciting to work for Huron.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between balance sheet, financial statement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in October 2014.

I interviewed on campus. I had two back-to-back interviews with an associate and manager. I believe this counted as my first and second round interviews. The first interview was a straight-forward behavioral interview. "Why Huron?" "Tell me about a time when..." type questions. The second interview was math-based and involved calculating hospital savings. YOU CAN USE A CALCULATOR which was a relief after prepping for other consulting interviews.

I was invited back for final rounds about a week or so later. It was a relatively longer waiting process than other companies. Final rounds consisted of a lunch, two interviews, analyst panel, and talk with the CEO & CFO. Overall excellent process and a good variety of interaction. Don't let the conversational/informality of the day fool you, it is all still an interview! Be sure to prep lots of good questions for the panel and do your research. I heard back and received an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Referred to Huron values for final rounds. I.e. Tell me about a time you were passionate/pursued excellence.   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate, don't find out placement until december/later

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online through my university's career service center and received an on-campus interview.

The interview was straight off of a form. Literally, the guy interviewing me had the form sitting on his desk. The interview was based on the company's "core competencies". He would tell me the definition of one of the company's core competencies and then pick a related behavioral question for me to answer, expecting me to demonstrate the values of the company's core competency in the process.

The interview wasn't hard. Basically it was just two behavioral questions. But as I was answering, the guy interviewing me was typing on his computer. He was either typing my responses to the question, or his interpretation/opinion of my responses. Either way, it was obvious he had no say in whether or not I would advance in the interview process. It seemed as though he was simply following procedure and forwarding information to the system. I knew my interview was interpreted systematically when I received a rejection e-mail less than three hours later.

This company doesn't take time to get to know you. They bring you in for an interview, grade you, then let you know if they want to proceed. Not at all what I expect in a standard interview process. If they're going to just grade me systematically, then can just look at my resume.

The interviewer told me he had gotten 2 hours of sleep last night, and had work to do as soon as he was done. He seemed tired, overworked, and unenthused.

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of: "When was a time you had to take control/lead in a situation that may have been highly emotional?"   Answer Question

Compliance Anaylust Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in August 2014.

The in-person interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. We spent 5 minutes on introductions and talking about the position, there was a 5 minute test, and then we spent the final 5 minutes on my questions leaving the interviewers exactly 15 minutes to ask me questions about my fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • The test was impossible. "Take this document and make it better." No other instructions, not advice on what direction to take it.   Answer Question

Consulting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in July 2014.

I applied online and the whole process took around a month. The first two rounds were phone interviews with HR specialists. The third was an in-person interview with the hiring manager at Huron headquarters in Chicago. Very fair process. Nothing too surprising as far as questions were concerned. If you have interviewed anywhere before, you will know what to expect. Friendly interviewers who are basically trying to gauge your interest in the company and the role.

Interview Questions
    • Basic background questions about my resume and experience. A few questions about how I would handle day-to-day tasks and problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group in June 2014.

First round interview-30 minute behavioral interview(it is not hard, but you have to know your resume and obviously reacting positively in situations
    Second round-flew to headquarters in Chicago-45 minute behavioral and 45 minute case study

Interview Questions
    • -Name a time that you had to motivate a group and how did you go about doing that
      -know how to really be specific about a case study, you must be very very detailed in every step you answer, like the who why how, the how is very very important.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in February 2014.

Pretty simple and straight forward first round phone interview centered on get to know you and behavioral questions. Huron likes to present you with what they refer to as a "core competency", define the competency, and then ask you to detail a time in which you displayed the competency. Therefore, doing research on the firm's mission and values is a must before interviewing.

Second round interview takes place in a Huron office and consists of two parts (each ~45 minutes): 1) more lengthy and detailed behavioral questions and 2) a case study.

Interview Questions
    • A hospital cafeteria has gone over their $1 million budget. How would you go about fixing the problem.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

2 Phone screenings followed by an onsite interview. The interviewers were very polite and professional. The discussions were mainly centered on my ability to learn new tools very quickly.

Interview Questions
    Not too much room to negotiate

Experienced Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in December 2013.

Great transparency throughout the whole interview process. Long wait. First applied in September, didn't find out about final interview in Chicago until early December. Position I was interviewing for would have been almost 100% virtual (must live in one of their "approved living locations" if interviewing for 50-100% travel which was frustrating). Said I would have been a good fit for traditional consulting role, but I don't live in the right city. Kind of think they could get creative with that aspect of their recruiting as many great candidates don't live in New York, Chicago, etc. Seems like a good fit if you're unattached and can live wherever. Overall, really enjoyed the company and the interviewers (4 different people during final interview, one at a time.) Would reapply if I move.

Interview Questions
    • You must know formulas for accounts receivable/how to calculate. One, sometimes two problems (AR buckets). Two problems if you get first problem wrong. Not difficult if you're prepared for it.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in November 2013.

Phone interview with recruiter; typical interview nothing out of the ordinary. A week or 2 later another phone interview with Manager. Mostly a skills assessment interview and to see if there is a fit. A weeks or so later a group interview with the team mostly technical questions and seeing how I'd fit into the team. Everyone was always nice throughout the entire process. Whole process took about 4 weeks