Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

Entry Level Analyst- Healthcare Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

I was recruited by an HR representative during a career fair. They contacted me several times asking me to apply, but I ultimately did not get a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you worked in a group that had unrealistic expectations. What did you do?   Answer Question

Legal Consulting Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

1st round- 30 minutes, simple behavioral interview with questions about leadership, working on a team, and problem solving skills

2nd round- 90 minutes, 45 minutes in another behavioral interview, very similar questions and 45 minutes in a case-like interview. The case was more of a conversation than an on-the-spot situation so be confident and answer to the best of your ability. The case was followed by an extremely easy word problem that involved basic calculations.

Interview Questions
    • Given a problem that a client might have, then I was asked "make a list of information you would need to help start to tackle this issue"   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

First round consisted of two interviews, one behavioral and one case. The behavioral interview had the typical behavioral questions. The case interview consisted of a business problem that was related to the job function I was interviewing for. It was more of a conversation because there was a lot of questions asked. After the case interview there was one quantitative question.

Interview Questions
    • The quantitative question is pretty straight forward just a little surprising after the qualitative case.   Answer Question

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in October 2014.

I applied online through my university's career service center and received an on-campus interview.

The interview was straight off of a form. Literally, the guy interviewing me had the form sitting on his desk. The interview was based on the company's "core competencies". He would tell me the definition of one of the company's core competencies and then pick a related behavioral question for me to answer, expecting me to demonstrate the values of the company's core competency in the process.

The interview wasn't hard. Basically it was just two behavioral questions. But as I was answering, the guy interviewing me was typing on his computer. He was either typing my responses to the question, or his interpretation/opinion of my responses. Either way, it was obvious he had no say in whether or not I would advance in the interview process. It seemed as though he was simply following procedure and forwarding information to the system. I knew my interview was interpreted systematically when I received a rejection e-mail less than three hours later.

This company doesn't take time to get to know you. They bring you in for an interview, grade you, then let you know if they want to proceed. Not at all what I expect in a standard interview process. If they're going to just grade me systematically, then can just look at my resume.

The interviewer told me he had gotten 2 hours of sleep last night, and had work to do as soon as he was done. He seemed tired, overworked, and unenthused.

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of: "When was a time you had to take control/lead in a situation that may have been highly emotional?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed on campus. I had two back-to-back interviews with an associate and manager. I believe this counted as my first and second round interviews. The first interview was a straight-forward behavioral interview. "Why Huron?" "Tell me about a time when..." type questions. The second interview was math-based and involved calculating hospital savings. YOU CAN USE A CALCULATOR which was a relief after prepping for other consulting interviews.

I was invited back for final rounds about a week or so later. It was a relatively longer waiting process than other companies. Final rounds consisted of a lunch, two interviews, analyst panel, and talk with the CEO & CFO. Overall excellent process and a good variety of interaction. Don't let the conversational/informality of the day fool you, it is all still an interview! Be sure to prep lots of good questions for the panel and do your research. I heard back and received an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Referred to Huron values for final rounds. I.e. Tell me about a time you were passionate/pursued excellence.   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate, don't find out placement until december/later

Associate Consultant - Education Interview

This was an on-campus interview that consisted of two parts (45 minute behavioral, 45 minute case). I had the behavioral portion first which essentially was the recruiter listing their core values followed by a question that would allow you to demonstrate one of those values. This lasted about 20-25 minutes and then there was time for questions. In the case portion, I was read a case and then had the opportunity to discuss my ideas with the interviewer. There was a then a simple math problem and some follow-up questions.

Interview Questions
    • After the case portion, the interviewer asked me many questions about Microsoft Excel which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in October 2014.

I applied through on campus recruiting. I found out I received a first round interview on a Saturday, and the interview was on Thursday on campus. There were two 45-minute interviews with employees in the healthcare practice, one behavioral interview (each question was prefaced with one of four values and then I was prompted to describe a time I exemplified that value using a STARS story, followed by general questions like why consulting and why Huron as well as my own questions) and one case interview (most of time was spent on one case with many prompting questions, followed by a math problem that was to be completed using a worksheet showing your work and then explained to the interviewer, followed by some general questions as well as my own questions). My interviewers were very kind, although the case interviewer intentionally lays out that he/she will not tell you if you're right or wrong so he/she may be hard to read.

I learned the following Monday that I had received a final round interview at their headquarters in Chicago. The 4-hour slot included a breakfast at the hotel where interviewees were seated with employees who would interviewing others but not us and we had casual conversation; two 30-minute interviews (one was a project interview with an analyst where he/she talks about the analyst role, the other was a practice interview with a more senior healthcare employee where he/she talks about the company, both ask some behavioral questions and answer any questions but the focus is on selling the company culture); a 1-hour analyst panel where current analysts exclusively answer interviewee questions from half of the group; and some general things like viewing a video, meeting the CFO, HR stuff, etc.

I learned that I received an offer the next morning when I got a call from one of my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Case question: client is dealing with long call center wait times. Discuss what things you're thinking about, how you would address the problem, what information you would want, what you would say to the CEO about your work in an elevator, why you chose your solution over others, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Healthcare Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group in October 2014.

Huron came to my University. I applied and came in for a first round interview followed by a second round. In the first round, Huron asked about two of the competencies. In the second round, Huron asked about four more competencies and gave a brief health care related case. I did not advance to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult aspect of answering about the competencies is that there is some overlap between the questions.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I submitted my resume through the posting on my college's recruiting site. One week later, I was notified I was selected for an interview on my college campus for the next week (2 weeks after my initial application). The night before the interview was an informal meet-and-greet to ask questions of the recruiters (about 4 came into town). The next day I had about a 40-minute interview that was mostly based on my personality and experience.
    The night of the interview, I received an email inviting me back for the second round of on-campus interviews the next day. This was a 2-hour process with 4 steps:
    1) write a SQL command given certain criteria
    2) compute a ratio given certain accounting data
    3) interview about my technical skills with a manager
    4) interview about my personality and problem solving skills

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you coordinated the efforts of a group to accomplish a complex task   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

On campus interview began after the info session when a few of us were invited to dinner with the consultants from the session. Once I was selected to interview a week later, there was an initial interview that lasted 30 minutes which was all behavioral questions (why consulting, tell me about a time... etc., use the STAR format and practice before going in). Then that night I was emailed and informed of my selection for the second interview. I had two hours to RSVP and did so. The second round was the next day and was 1.5 hours with two sections, a case study and a behavioral. The case study was about a hospital cafe that was over budget. It was easier than the case studies you see on youtube, mostly a conversation. Just take your time and write good notes and when they ask you for an answer, ask for a moment to write out your answer before you present it to her. There was also a math portion but it was basic really easy math, its mostly about how you answer and present it to them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to work with a rude team member   Answer Question

I got another offer from a firm with less travel