Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015
Updated Mar 5, 2015

Associate Clinical Ops Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

Multiple interviews and some math

Interview Questions
    Easy and over the phone, they set the pay with no negotiating.
    No urine test!

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

1st Round- 30 min behavioral
    2nd round - 45 min case, 45 min behavioral
    3rd round - behavioral

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had to deal with unreasonable expectations and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in February 2014.

Pretty simple and straight forward first round phone interview centered on get to know you and behavioral questions. Huron likes to present you with what they refer to as a "core competency", define the competency, and then ask you to detail a time in which you displayed the competency. Therefore, doing research on the firm's mission and values is a must before interviewing.

Second round interview takes place in a Huron office and consists of two parts (each ~45 minutes): 1) more lengthy and detailed behavioral questions and 2) a case study.

Interview Questions
    • A hospital cafeteria has gone over their $1 million budget. How would you go about fixing the problem.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Being an out of state applicant, the interview processes was fairly long. It took me about a month to get through 3 phone interviews and then they flew me out for the final interview. The first 3 interviews were basic interview hr and tech questions about your past experience in the tech industry and dealing with customer support. The last onsite interview was broken down into 4 sections. First, was the Case Interview. Here I was given a problem and asked how I would solve it. The problem was that the ER of a hospital was having issues with their customers having to wait to long before being seen. The second interview was the Project Tools Overview. This interview was a basic description of the teams and software used at Huron. During this interview I was asked to create an easy join query and solve a brain teaser question. The third interview was a lunch interview. The last interview is with the Director of Product Implementation to find out if I would be a good fit within the company.

Interview Questions
    • Brainteaser: there are two rooms, in one room you have four switches and in the other room you have four light bulbs. How do you figure out which light bulb is connected to which switch.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

2 Phone screenings followed by an onsite interview. The interviewers were very polite and professional. The discussions were mainly centered on my ability to learn new tools very quickly.

Interview Questions
    Not too much room to negotiate

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group in February 2014.

First Round: Two behavioral questions (read through all of these and you should be prepared) followed by the standard three: Why Huron? Why Consulting? Why Healthcare?

Called back for the second round a couple of hours later

Second Round: Divided into two parts, Behavioral and Case Study. The Behavioral was four questions that have all been mentioned on here. My strategy was to have about 8 STAR stories ready, and just bend them in one way or another to fit the questions. This strategy seemed to work pretty well. Be prepared to come up with things to say after you are done giving your answer because the guy interviewing me was typing my answers away on his computer and it would get awkward after I was done answering as he continued to slowly clack away. After that was a case study question. There was one math question after that was pretty elementary so if you got the interview you should have no excuse missing it.. The last question was how good you are with computers...?

From what I understand getting the third round when they fly you to HQ essentially means you have the offer, they just want to meet you and make sure they didn't screw up.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is most likely why I did not get the offer. I had relied too much on the overwhelming reports of the ER room/ Call Center case study questions. They threw a case study from their Legal division at me. I am unfamiliar with law firms and how they are structured so I stumbled through the whole thing. It was something about how their "discovery process" had high costs so they wanted to find a solution. So be familiar with all of their divisions and what they do and how their clients work, not just healthcare.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group in February 2014.

I applied through my university's career portal website. The case section was relatively simple as I recall - not too much math, but I can't remember what exactly the case was about. The behavioral questions were relatively run of the mill - "Tell me about a time when you showed ____ characteristic." All interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • None of the behavioral questions were too surprising if you prepared the usual topics beforehand (leadership, teamwork, successes, failures, etc.)   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

I sumbitted an application online through our campus recruiting website. I had a phone interview which in which they asked me technical and behavior questions. After the phone interview I was invited for an on-site interview in their Lake Oswego office in Oregon. I had four interviews and I had a lot of technical and behavior questions. I didn't get the offer as they were looking for a highly advanced programmer.

Interview Questions
    • Write function to compute Nth Fibonacci number? Both iterative and recursive?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

I was referred to Huron Healthcare by my friend who is currently working there. I am about to go into the final round of interviews at the office in Chicago.

The first round interview was with the Huron recruiter. Phone interview. Two behavioral - describe a time you went above and beyond and describe a time you took initiative in an organization. Also why consulting? why Huron?

Second round interviews were in person. Four behavioral questions - leadership, problem with a team member, a time when something unpexted happened/something went wrong and you had to adjust, a time when you had to complete a task with a sense of urgency. The case study was a call center with too long of wait times. There was also a question on calculating A/r days. Interviewers asked general questions on why Huron, why consulting, why healthcare, at the end.

Third round is the office visit. Will be a breakfast with other candidates and interviewers, two "discussions," and a chance to meet with a panel of analysts. I am going to Chicago this week for the third round.

Interview Questions
    • The Huron behavioral questions are harder than the case study. Make sure to have STAR scenarios ready, preferrably those relating to something you did for an organization.   Answer Question

Phone interview, then office interview with 2 different managers

Interview Questions
    None, was a recent college graduate.